Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by bigg
    So, what we would really love;

Ardent w/
    ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6640-00 tweeters
    Accuton C173-6-90 mids
    Dual ScanSpeak Illuminator 18WU/8747T-00 woofers

My wife doesn't like the square C79s. She says I should save up to get the better drivers. It will take a long time anyway.
    What about using grille clothes? :W

Seriously, what you propose is doable, but considering SPL ranges and capability and "matching" the drivers, with the C90 mids, I'd make a strong case for the Wavecor 8-3/4" woofer, considering their Xmax and Sd (radiating area).
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• bigg
      • Jun 2009

Ardent beauties

Hey Jon. I realize that. But in my house the Illuminators will have plenty of bass anyway. And the Wavecors, I don't even know where I can get them and they are a leeto bit more expensive. But for the ultimate in some of your followers homes, I'm sure your choice would be right.;x(

Comment

• bigg
        • Jun 2009

It wasn't that long ago that you liked the Illuminators. The Wavecors must really be something nice to seduce you away from the Illuminators so quickly.

Still thinking about it.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Hey- I think the illuminators are great drivers- it comes down to how the Wavecor's measure and model in the same size enclosure- and the extra Sd and performance. With the extra rear venting of the illuminators, I like them if you're going to cross higher than this three way requires- but here, you know, the enemy of really good is excellent! Stacked Wavecors is a bit like cheating in the sense that the Aurasounds are. They will require a little more amplifier oomph, but the enclosure doesn't have to grow at all.

The easiest place to get them is from Solen, though you can get them also in the USA from AVPartsVault, which I did for one of my first two. Yes, I wish the price were a bit lower. Now, if you want to go with the C90 and keep things small, then possibly something like the 10" Seas L26R04Y would be interesting, except that the box would be much bigger, and the sensitivity considerably lower! Not really practical, unless beamed, perhaps.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Face
            • Mar 2007

According to SEAS, there isn't enough of a demand for an 8ohm version of the ROY. Too bad as a pair would raise the sensitivity to a more useful level.
            SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• dar47
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by bigg
              Hey Jon. I realize that. But in my house the Illuminators will have plenty of bass anyway. And the Wavecors, I don't even know where I can get them and they are a leeto bit more expensive. But for the ultimate in some of your followers homes, I'm sure your choice would be right.;x(
              The Scan 18WU/8747T-00 are very nice, but are $350. can. Maybe they are cheaper where you are. The Wavecor SW223BD01's can be had for $258.06 and should do better than holding their own. I can't wait for the Wavecor Ardents. :P

Comment

• Beau
                • Apr 2005

My C173-6-90's are still up for sale. Pm me if interested.
                Cheers.

Comment

• bigg
                  • Jun 2009

Thanks Dar47.

Hey Jon,

I hope you aren't working on a crossover for the preferences I listed. Unless others want it. I'm not going to be building these. In the future i might try to build the Isisris, but I doubt it. Still love reading the thread though.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Interesting going back through this and seeing how things have evolved... on a variety of fronts. When the WC Ardent build is finished, I'll append key data to this thread, too.
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Evil Twin
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

A rebirth of the original Ardent?

Originally posted by Doug Fraser
                      While Kevin Haskins has shut down DIY Cable the Ex Anarchys will live on.

There is a pre order here:

Delivery to be in Oct 2013.

It is remarkable how some aphorisms carry over in many circumstances- sometimes the circle of life is truly a wheel, and while somethings pass, others carry on, to be discovered and re-used at a later day...

In discussions with different parties, it has been mentioned that a high performance but lower cost version of the Ardent might be very interesting, especially with the advent of CNC based component fabrication... perhaps even one more focused on the requirements of Home Theater, with a continued focus on linearity of response, but even more emphasis on low distortion and output level capability down to moderately low frequencies- music range, but expecting a subwoofer for HT.

There is now another Evil three way design study underway, to evaluate the potential to address these requirements...

So far, it is promising... most promising.

Click image for larger versionName:	IMG_5916.jpgViews:	1Size:	72.2 KBID:	864577
                      Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 13:12 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                      DFAL
                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• dwk
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Evil Twin
                        It is remarkable how some aphorisms carry over in many circumstances- sometimes the circle of life is truly a wheel, and while somethings pass, others carry on, to be discovered and re-used at a later day...

In discussions with different parties, it has been mentioned that a high performance but lower cost version of the Ardent might be very interesting, especially with the advent of CNC based component fabrication... perhaps even one more focused on the requirements of Home Theater, with a continued focus on linearity of response, but even more emphasis on low distortion and output level capability down to moderately low frequencies- music range, but expecting a subwoofer for HT.

There is now another Evil three way design study underway, to evaluate the potential to address these requirements...

So far, it is promising... most promising.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29712[/ATTACH]
                        Wow. Unexpected thread revival. Was the initial Ardent work really 10 years ago?? The mind boggles. Maybe this is just some sort of Imperial time-manipulation trickery.

The 'budget Ardent' seems to be the idea that just won't go away, despite the fact that every time someone seemed poised to start on such a thing in earnest they threw in the towel and just went for the Wavecor version once they saw how much work was involved. I probably already posted it in this thread way back, but I always thought that a dual Anarchy/Scan 10F/602000 (or 602010) lineup would be well suited - high-value drivers that 'should be' pretty easy to work with. Lots of new choices to consider though, so I'm definitely interested in watching where this goes.

Comment

• Evil Twin
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by dwk
                          Wow. Unexpected thread revival. Was the initial Ardent work really 10 years ago?? The mind boggles. Maybe this is just some sort of Imperial time-manipulation trickery.

The 'budget Ardent' seems to be the idea that just won't go away, despite the fact that every time someone seemed poised to start on such a thing in earnest they threw in the towel and just went for the Wavecor version once they saw how much work was involved. I probably already posted it in this thread way back, but I always thought that a dual Anarchy/Scan 10F/602000 (or 602010) lineup would be well suited - high-value drivers that 'should be' pretty easy to work with. Lots of new choices to consider though, so I'm definitely interested in watching where this goes.

You see clearly the basis for the "fundamentals" if this objective is to be fulfilled...

In fact, coming across a double pair of the very early Anarchy woofers in my storage facility triggered what might be likened to a flashback - and a clear intuition that now might be the time where all the pieces come together... as another recent post suggests, revisiting the legacy to go back to the future...

A double pair of recent production Anarchy's are here- they seem identical to the original ones, except for signage on the driver.

The low distortion, high SPL capability, and linear on and off axis response of the Peerless DA25TX00-08 makes gives it the strongest mandate for the high frequencies- with measured and subjective performance that no only outclasses the the ones used in the first generation Ardent, but also the Wavecor Ardent.

Several midrange driver candidates have been identified, and the first test enclosure for midrange + tweeter is already built... and a proof of concept cabinet for woofers is nearly complete. I shall have results this week or early next.

Polar plots for the DA25...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DA25TX00-08 Windowed Polar Graph.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	864579

A concept crossover for the planned driver impedance has already been formulated... based on the Duelund concept, with a center frequency of 900Hz, and an aleph of about 3...

Name:	Ardent HTD Target Filter Function.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	864580

Intriguing characteristics of the Duelund concepts are that the drivers are always in the same relative phase with each other, and there is only one phase rotation, and low group delay.

The target is reducing driver costs to 1/3 to 1/4 of the original configurations. It is not clear yet what cost reductions may be possible with careful selection of components for the filters.

The cabinet design for now will be a modified version of the first generation cabinet, built with maple ply, bamboo ply, and BB ply. With that I cannot bring costs down- but Steve may be able to make the effort less burdensome for other builders.

Once a functional proof of concept study has validated the full blown construction effort, a new thread will be started... and a New Adventure.
                          DFAL
                          Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

And here, a Satori + DA25 experimental system...

Name:	Ref Voiced Notched Disto.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	864581

Highlighting aspects of this tweeter's capabilities
                            DFAL
                            Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• ergo
                              • Mar 2005

Wau, something very promising is forming here indeed. Will be following with great interest.

Comment

• augerpro
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2006

The low distortion, high SPL capability, and linear on and off axis response of the Peerless DA25TX00-08 makes gives it the strongest mandate for the high frequencies- with measured and subjective performance that no only outclasses the the ones used in the first generation Ardent, but also the Wavecor Ardent.
                                Wow, bold statement! I have one of these sitting around. What subjective opinion do you have?
                                ~Brandon 8O
                                Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                                Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                                DriverVault
                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by augerpro
                                  Wow, bold statement! I have one of these sitting around. What subjective opinion do you have?
                                  Clear, grain free, surprising extension off axis, (measurements bear this out), and surprisingly dynamic for a direct radiator.

In the Satori two way test system, it works well with a variety of material, but particularly pleases in guitar tone and harmonic density for upper midrange and presence range dense instruments-

It is definitely not a run of the mill design- I would suspect it was done in partnership with some OEM, and the exclusivity period has expired. But that is mere surmise.

I have measured many tweeters over the last 15 years, and quite a few at a wide range of price points in the last six months, but the only dome application I can think of where this wouldn't be my first choice to consider, is where unusual high sensitivity might be needed, such as an MTM with 6ND430- then BlieSMa is the one to consider carefully.

Look at the distortion plot of the Satori two way above. Clearly the tweeter outclasses the woofer... though they were matched up carefully, as regards crossover, with expensive components for both. Crossover point is 1800Hz.

But listen to it yourself- I have had messages from other's trying it out who are similarly impressed.

My favorite modification is to take two apart, glue the two front plates together, re-tape up with Kapton the insulation, and reassemble just one tweeter, having a spare motor assembly. however, the motor appears to be robust. Some day I must really take one apart to see what is in the rear structure. Perhaps it was just a convenient way to get the leads coming out the back without a conventional terminal set.

Very odd, but as Charles Hansen would say, were he still alive, "Efficacious"
                                  DFAL
                                  Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Scottg
                                    • Nov 2006

-for the mid you might also consider the Aurum Cantus AC130/50CK for that *harder cone diaphragm (..with low distortion). ..though like the Satori, it's also not as linear as you'd want for a driver.

*propagation velocity should be slightly beyond that of traditional aramid/epoxy diaphragm (which is significantly higher then Al or Ti diaphragms).

Zaph has it measured at the bottom of his blog page:

There are of course the SB "ceramic" mid-woofers as well.

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

Finding the "ideal" driver for the midrange is no simple task... several candidates are on hand for testing... while there are hopes that the desired results can be found quickly, and at an attractive price, this part of the search could take considerable effort, unless the most promising current candidate delivers. There seem to be many drivers with reasonably well behaved cones and mediocre motors, or the exact reverse...
                                      DFAL
                                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Zvu
                                        • Oct 2013

What size of midrange would be preffered ? I'm guessing 5" max for crossover between 2 and 3 kHz ?
                                        Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• augerpro
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2006

Are only hard cones considered? SB just put the Textreme Satori drivers up on their site. They've corrected the paper cones wobble @1-2khz, so near Revelator smooth but with the lower distortion Satori motor. I thought the Dayton Epique nicely balanced these two extremes, but this new TX Satori might be a better choice if it comes in cheaper.

I'll second Scott's rec for the AC, they measure really nice. But AC is flaky with keeping product lines alive.
                                          ~Brandon 8O
                                          DriverVault
                                          Soma Sonus

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by augerpro
                                            Are only hard cones considered? SB just put the Textreme Satori drivers up on their site. They've corrected the paper cones wobble @1-2khz, so near Revelator smooth but with the lower distortion Satori motor. I thought the Dayton Epique nicely balanced these two extremes, but this new TX Satori might be a better choice if it comes in cheaper.

I'll second Scott's rec for the AC, they measure really nice. But AC is flaky with keeping product lines alive.
                                            All are good points...

I do have the Epique’s on hand... the behavior with energy storage at 4kHz seems to rule them out; I also had great hopes for the motor, but for an underhung design the distortion results for the 8” have been disappointing.

Yes, I agree AC is flaky both with regards to continuity and also consistency... most unfortunate.

The Satori TeXtreme drivers are a significant improvement over the prior MW16P for conventional two ways and possibly some three way configurations, but the energy storage at 5kHz is troublesome. Still, this is a considerable step forward, though posts from the Munich High End referring to OEM only are not surprising, but disappointing for experimenters such as us.
                                            DFAL
                                            Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Zvu
                                              What size of midrange would be preffered ? I'm guessing 5" max for crossover between 2 and 3 kHz ?

A 4-5” device is expected to be the best choice- the Duelund configuration has it’s rewards, but makes high demands in bandwidth, especially for the midrange, which ideally should be controllable up to 10kHz.

There are clear trade-offs between output level capability and bandwidth and freedom from energy storage at 5kHz or above, looking at a variety of drivers.

With the cost savings on the tweeter and woofers already essentially “in place”, if necessary, more expensive options will be considered- even continuing with the C79. That, and the 724... but the current published data and changes from previous versions are of concern, and the data I already have for the 724 does not completely please me...

Although I would much prefer to avoid the out of phase resonance Around 1500Hz of the Satori 5” midrange, it may be the lesser of evils overall, considering a range of candidates, and would otherwise be easy to work with for this application. And the price is not unreasonable. If only there were a TeXtreme version of that driver...

There is a dark horse candidate for which I’ve finished a test enclosure yesterday, that should be measured next week- another logistics run is scheduled to the outer rim this Friday, so no time for that on the weekend.

Logistics issues are proceeding apace, as most of the construction materials are now in route. The cabinet will have some similarities to the Evil Three way design study, as there will be no veneering, and external surfaces will be maple or bamboo.
                                              DFAL
                                              Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Zvu
                                                • Oct 2013

Have you considered Tang Band W4-1337SDF ? A ferrite motor version that, according to K&T measures very good (better than Nd).

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

There is that breakup that needs to be tackled with in a crossover, but i think it is high enough not to present an issue. It is low priced, obtainable in US and Europe for a reasonable amount of money. Copper sleeve makes distortion quite good given your intended passband.
                                                Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 13:13 Monday. Reason: Update htguide url
                                                Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• nopomo
                                                  • Jul 2015

Fountek FM135D-II might be one of those "great motor, middling cone" drivers.

Tang Band W4-1757SB could be suitable, but is no longer stocked by PE (although the MOQ is only 200 pieces).

NE123W-04 has less midrange nonsense than the Satoris, and it's available, and cheap. If only it came with a hard cone.

Visaton AL130M?

The hard cone SB12/15 models seem tough to beat in this category.

Comment

• augerpro
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Aug 2006

There are 16cm and 13cm Textreme woofers coming, but they didn't give a date.
                                                    ~Brandon 8O
                                                    DriverVault
                                                    Soma Sonus

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Nov 2004

On hand to test include the Visaton AL130, the Fountek FW135H, and the Satori MR13PNW, plus the Accuton C90-6-724, SB12MNRX25-4 and the 12MU/4731.
                                                      DFAL
                                                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Scottg
                                                        • Nov 2006

-turns out there is an even smaller diameter version of the Aurum Cantus driver I didn't know about:

Aurum Cantus AC120/50CK 5" MidwooferThe Aurum Cantus AC120/50CK 5" midwoofer is capable of performance far beyond what is usually expected from transducers of its size or class. The tailored response of the speaker's exotic yet supremely engineered cone selection delivers the signature Aurum Cantus combination of depth, accuracy, and listenability. A large diameter copper-plated flat aluminum wire voice coil provides high efficiency and excellent power handling, complemented by a low-distortion magnet system and precisely cast aluminum alloy basket. Aurum Cantus woofers are characterized by fast transient response, minimal tonal coloration, and deep, dynamic bass.

-still, a less than easy driver to work with. ops:

Note that Qe is very low on this one - should make for a very detailed driver (despite the higher Mms for its Sd).

..couldn't find any independent measurements on it.

Comment

• Scottg
                                                          • Nov 2006

..plus the Accuton C90-6-724 ..and the 12MU/4731.
                                                          8O Budget just choked on that. :P

If you are going to do that (need to remove VAT):

Comment

• Bear
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by evil twin
                                                            a 4-5” device is expected to be the best choice- the duelund configuration has it’s rewards, but makes high demands in bandwidth, especially for the midrange, which ideally should be controllable up to 10khz.

There are clear trade-offs between output level capability and bandwidth and freedom from energy storage at 5khz or above, looking at a variety of drivers.

With the cost savings on the tweeter and woofers already essentially “in place”, if necessary, more expensive options will be considered- even continuing with the c79. That, and the 724... But the current published data and changes from previous versions are of concern, and the data i already have for the 724 does not completely please me...

Although i would much prefer to avoid the out of phase resonance around 1500hz of the satori 5” midrange, it may be the lesser of evils overall, considering a range of candidates, and would otherwise be easy to work with for this application. And the price is not unreasonable. If only there were a textreme version of that driver...

There is a dark horse candidate for which i’ve finished a test enclosure yesterday, that should be measured next week- another logistics run is scheduled to the outer rim this friday, so no time for that on the weekend.
                                                            10f? Tc9fd?
                                                            Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• Bear
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Dec 2008

On hand to test include the Visaton AL130, the Fountek FW135H, and the Satori MR13PNW, plus the Accuton C90-6-724, SB12MNRX25-4 and the 12MU/4731.
                                                              Only the latter two of that group seem to rise to the level scum and villainy consistent with my lord's stated color preference.

That being said, I'm most interested to see the MR13 tested in a fashion consistent with prior interrogations of rebel spies. The SB15NBAC would be another candidate whose performance approaches the desired specifications (but with energy storage issues beginning at 4kHz), but whose sensitivity might mate well with the DA25 in a Duelund configuration.
                                                              Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Bear
                                                                10f? Tc9fd?
                                                                Those are on hand and under consideration, but output level capability may be an issue.
                                                                DFAL
                                                                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Scottg
                                                                  • Nov 2006

Tim (who measured these) might argue for the Dynavox LY302F in this application, even though 2nd is a bit higher. Imperial-class higher harmonic distortion on a rebel's budget.

-still, paper though.

FR88 looks good too (and isn't paper).

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2004

Candidate for bang for the credit winner.

The "Dark Horse" candidate was interesting... most interesting.

Name:	296-735_HR_5 copy.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	864582

Fundamentals show no insurmountable issues...

Name:	FW135H 0 Deg Nominal.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	864583

Distortion at nominal drive has HD2 and HD3 tracking rather closely - and HD3 staying low in the critical areas.

Name:	F135H Distortion2.jpg
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	864584

Polar behavior is limited by the size of the diaphragm, but is quite satisfactory for the desired frequency range and levels...

Name:	FW135H 0-40 Polar2.jpg
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	864585

All for $35...

A reminder of the midrange target characteristic...

Name:	ARDENT HTD TARGET.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	864586

One might say that it "looks" the part, with the protective grille- one which I verified before considering mounting and measuring that it is quite dead, better than many Accuton grilles.
                                                                    DFAL
                                                                    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Scottg
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2006

Nice, something rebel scum can finally afford!

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Scottg
                                                                        Nice, something rebel scum can finally afford!

Indeed... this is the plan.

Additional tests will be made, and somehow we will make a balance between performance and cost, but it is likely that even the Satori 5" midranges will go to a system which Steve has been pondering in his new ribbed cabinets... perhaps with the Anarchy woofers, perhaps with the Wavecor, as he already has a set of those. But those will require a larger cabinet profile to accommodate the larger baffle.
                                                                        DFAL
                                                                        Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• 5th element
                                                                          Supreme Being Moderator
                                                                          • Sep 2009
                                                                          • 1671

FW135H + DA25 would certainly make for a very value orientated proposition. So would the DA25 and ZA14.
                                                                          What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                                                                          5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                                                                          Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• dwk
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Apr 2005
                                                                            • 251

Hadn't seen that Fountek - definitely promising. If it makes the cut, it would mean a fairly modest $220-ish/side for drivers. Assume $300/side for a typical DFAL xover, and it's still solidly in the "Budget (for HTGuide)" category.

Comment

• Scottg
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Nov 2006
                                                                              • 335

-well, you still have the proposition of cabinets - that can get expensive fast. ops:

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Nov 2004
                                                                                • 1531

Originally posted by 5th element
                                                                                FW135H + DA25 would certainly make for a very value orientated proposition. So would the DA25 and ZA14.
                                                                                I have the ZA14, and it is a fine driver IF the Wavecor Ardent crossover concept is used- but it’s upper range breakup makes it unsuitable for the Duelund approach.

So, most likely there will be at least two development efforts with this approach, with fundamentally different crossovers. The optimum performance for the credits version for each... and likely a less budget constrained version for the midrange also.

Additionally, a more comprehensive set of tests will be executed similar to the selection process for the original Evil three way design study.

I am in the outer rim today picking up stored components and tools in order to complete these evaluations.
                                                                                DFAL
                                                                                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Nov 2004
                                                                                  • 1531

Originally posted by Scottg
                                                                                  -well, you still have the proposition of cabinets - that can get expensive fast. ops:
                                                                                  That is quite true, and only somewhat avoidable. This in fact was an unavoidable concept with the very first Avalon products, where the cabinet construction and crossover was a much larger part of the total cost, but which had an outsized impact on the performance. This was also true for the speakers I built and gave to Avalon’s founder Charles Hansen long before he considered the speaker business, and which inspired his direction. Thick faceted front panels and massive rigidity did not originate at Avalon, but was developed further there with considerable esthetic grace.
                                                                                  DFAL
                                                                                  Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Nov 2004
                                                                                    • 1531

Think about the many manufacturers with different philosophies but united in one concept- very stiff, very “quiet” cabinets- Rockport, Wilson Audio, YG Acoustics, Magico. They all go about it by different methods, but the end result is remarkably consistent.
                                                                                    DFAL
                                                                                    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2004
                                                                                      • 1531

Four more drivers are on the way for testing- two should arrive from Madisound today. Due to various existing commitments, testing may not be completed until early next month...

I have some interesting feelings about this...
                                                                                      DFAL
                                                                                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Supernova
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2017
                                                                                        • 108

Triple 7" Anarchy's. Wow, that should be something. :evil:

Image not available
                                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 14:04 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• CraigJ
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Feb 2006
                                                                                          • 518

Originally posted by 5th element
                                                                                          FW135H + DA25 would certainly make for a very value orientated proposition.
                                                                                          Add the 4 Anarchys and I’m in! Any suggestions when all of the drivers should be purchased??

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Nov 2004
                                                                                            • 1531

All of the drivers to evaluate have been purchased. A series of test cabinet constructions is nearly complete.

Patience, young Padawan...
                                                                                            DFAL
                                                                                            Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"