X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digital desire
    • Dec 2006

ACOUSTA-STUF vs. Pillow stuffing from wallyworld

Any thoughts on this?
    I have to place another order for my wwmt's (using the link above )
    And for the wwmts/plus matching center, I am looking at about 3 pounds of it. Maybe the 5 lb bag.
    I don't want to cheap out, because I have not yet on this project - I'll have about $1600 or 1700 into the project all together (had to hire out the mdf work). But I can't help but think it is just pillow stuffing!
    Opinions?
    Peter
    Syracuse, N.Y.
  • jkrutke
    • Dec 2005

I used to think the same thing, but it's not just pillow stuffing. Acousta-Stuf is made of large trilobal fibers while Dacron is smaller round fibers. The former does a much better job of damping and absorption. I don't use Dacron anymore because I've actually heard the difference and have been able to see it in some tests.
    Zaph|Audio

Comment

• digital desire
      • Dec 2006

I did find this just now, dealing with pillow stuffing.

But I certainly respect your opinion John. I figure 3 lbs of the "stuff" for a complete set (3) of the wwmt's and center.
      Peter
      Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• Mazeroth
        • Nov 2004

With $1600 to $1700 already invested I would definately spring for the Acousta-Stuf. That way you'd never have to second guess your decision. :T

Comment

• jkrutke
          • Dec 2005

For a bit more information, (a little on the technical side) see this final update to one of Ken Kantor's old blogs before he moved to a different blog.

My own experiments have revolved around using a certain weight of each type and observing a high resolution ungated response measurement to guage dip/peak combos resulting from internal reflections. Zooming in to the midrange with a measurement of no smoothing or gating can really show a lot. Personally, I was more concerned with midrange box reflections than the effects on the bass tuning.
          Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

Zaph, have you compared acoustastuff to fiberglass?

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Besides, wally-world is evil, even more evil than Evil Twin. You shouldn't shop there. :P

C
              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• digital desire
                • Dec 2006

The BORG.
                You will be assimilated.
                Peter
                Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• warnerwh
                  • Jan 2006

According to tests conducted by Vance Dickason in The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook good old fiberglass works very nearly as well as acousta stuff and is much cheaper. Fiberglass is one of the best things you can use for stuffing. The little those of us are using it I doubt it's any health hazard especially if you wear a dust mask.

Comment

• jkrutke
                    • Dec 2005

I agree, fiberglass works better than Acousta-stuf. I just hate handling the itchy stuff.

I pretty much just use Acousta-stuf in sealed boxes, Sonic Barrier in smaller vented boxes and Whispermat in large vented boxes.

I recall some stuff called Miraflex from Owens Corning, but it was discontinued before I got a chance to try it out.
                    Zaph|Audio

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Miraflex was great, much nicer to work with compared to standard fiberglass, it's really a drag it was discontinued....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• speedle
                        • Dec 2006

IIRC, wasn't Miraflex just a wrapped version of the regular stuff? I didn't think you could use it in speakers because of that very reason.

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by speedle
                          IIRC, wasn't Miraflex just a wrapped version of the regular stuff?
                          Miraflex fiber was created using proprietary bi-component fiber technology
                          in which two different types of glass are fused together into a single
                          filament. Unlike traditional fibers that are straight, Miraflex fibers have
                          a random twist, resulting in a virtually itch-free glass fiber that's also
                          highly compressible
                          I didn't think you could use it in speakers because of that very reason.
                          With any encapsulated 'glass', one removes the plastic wrap when using the product to damp sound waves.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Paul H
                            • Feb 2004

Why aren't people using mineral wool insulation (ie Roxul) for speaker stuffing, diy sound absorption panels, etc? It tests at least as good or better than the fiberglass 'pink stuff' for sound absorption and isn't itchy.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                              • Apr 2006

In my very limited experience in testing stuffing, wally world stuff was effective enough to totally ruin the Ql of a vented box at 50% fill (it was just a for-the-hell-of-it test, I don't stuff vented boxes as a matter of practice ) I've got a sealed RS315HF in a high-Q box that I've been intending for a Linkwitz Transform project (now that I have access to PCB design software and a PCB mill at work ). I might fiddle with measuring polyfill vs. fiberglass effects as I have both laying around. Anyone wants to send me some acoustastuff and I'll toss it in the mix.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                • Apr 2006

I also wonder about the lack of use of mineral wool, at least for acoustic treatments and box lining. I have no experience working with it, but it's waaay cheaper than OC703 and just as available if not more so. I've been quoted 88c/sqft USD for 4pcf 4" thick mineral wool.

Comment

• Hank
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jul 2002

Kid, our Thinsulatetm not only is a thermal, but an acoustic insulation:

I've got a bag in the form of batting. How much of it do you need in order to test it?

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                    • Apr 2006

The box is 15.5" cubed externally built with 3/4" MDF, however much it takes to stuff it at the density you want (1-2pcf?). I forget what the net internal volume. We could do this real easy whenever I get over there to test stuff. I'll just drag the box and driver along, don't need the LT done for tests like these.

Comment

• Hank
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jul 2002

Sounds good - bring 'em along. I've got six new drivers for us to test.

Comment

• TacoD
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by jkrutke
                                        For a bit more information, (a little on the technical side) see this final update to one of Ken Kantor's old blogs before he moved to a different blog.

My own experiments have revolved around using a certain weight of each type and observing a high resolution ungated response measurement to guage dip/peak combos resulting from internal reflections. Zooming in to the midrange with a measurement of no smoothing or gating can really show a lot. Personally, I was more concerned with midrange box reflections than the effects on the bass tuning.
                                        The link is an interesting read, recommended.

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"