X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • engr_dave
    • Dec 2005

Dayton RS sub project: Assault on SQ

When I built our theater a few years ago, I found out the hard way that there is a LOT of low frequency information in the front channels (not on the LFE track). I could have routed this to the LFE sub (which is built into the rear seating platform) but I wanted to keep a high-quality sub up front for critical music listening. My "B380 clone" JBL 15" was good in the SQ department, but with only 7mm of xmax, it was farily quick to reach its limits.

Having no practical option for an IB , and no place to put huge boxes, I started down the path of the usual sealed RL-p15 or TC2000. But Mark Seaton and Brian Bunge convinced me to look at the Dayton Reference RSS390 HO. These drivers don't have the Vd of the others mentioned, so it takes more of them. Following the immortal words, "build the biggest box you can live with, and EQ it flat" I settled on four drivers in two 120L boxes - with the drivers mounted on opposing faces. My Lexicon MC-12 prepro handles crossover duty, EQ is a DEQ2496, and power is from a Crown K2.

In one long day on Friday, I sawed up 2-1/2 sheets of 1" MDF, cut a bunch of holes and driver recesses with my Jasper jig, and started assembly. Yesterday, I didn't get much done as I was out on a long training ride for an upcoming 24-hr mountain bike race. Hopefully today I'll complete the assembly and start the finishing process. I had planned on piano black - I have equipment and experience with this - but it is time-consuming... so I may go conventional veneer.

Comments, suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	driver recesses.jpg
Views:	6116
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	868286

Name:	check fit.jpg
Views:	7321
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	868287

Name:	brace assembly.jpg
Views:	6271
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	868288

Name:	getting closer.jpg
Views:	6240
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	868289

Name:	more assembly.jpg
Views:	6401
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	868290
    Last edited by theSven; 03 December 2023, 14:59 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
  • engr_dave
    • Dec 2005

First question for the experts here...

I'm about to attach the baffles (double-layer 1" MDF with 3/8" driver recess). Should I chamfer the back of the driver holes to help the driver "breathe"?

It didn't look overly restricted when I mocked it up with driver... but I hate to skimp at this point. I don't think I have a large chamfer bit - could I just do a 1/2" roundover?

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hey! Those look like they're going to be nice and heavy.... :B

The RSS390HO certain are good drivers, as you've learned the "price" for using them is buying multiples. But using them that way is going to keep the distortion nice and low... :T

Good luck in the race....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by engr_dave
        I'm about to attach the baffles (double-layer 1" MDF with 3/8" driver recess). Should I chamfer the back of the driver holes to help the driver "breathe"?
        Only needed if the wood is blocking the cone.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by engr_dave
          First question for the experts here...

It didn't look overly restricted when I mocked it up with driver... but I hate to skimp at this point. I don't think I have a large chamfer bit - could I just do a 1/2" roundover?
          If that second pic is an example of your clearance/masking with the Dayton Drivers, you've got nothing to worry about- we normally are concerned abou rear masking with 7" midwoofers, for example, when there really is an issue if one uses a thick front panel.

Looks like you're going to have some nice heavy stiff enclosures! The Daytons are nice sub drivers, with their lower inductance easier to integrate with the rest of the system, and with lower upper bass distortion.

~Jon
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• engr_dave
            • Dec 2005

Project was slowed somewhat by that little thing called Christmas. Over the last few days, I finished the glue-up and some details like mounting holes for drivers and feet (PE black chrome spikes).
            Those look like they're going to be nice and heavy....
            Uh... well, yes. 109lb each bare. 8O Their size and weight were somewhat difficult to handle by myself. Finished speakers, which will likely weigh more than I do (160 lb), will definitely require a two-person lift. 'Not quite up to Thomas' 200lb benchmark for "real" speakers, but formidable nontheless. :T

I decided to proceed ahead and prep for piano black finish. First step was to shoot three coats of high-solids primer-surfacer, waiting about an hour between coats. The "fuzz" on MDF end grain still shows through in spots, but will quickly disappear on first sanding. Next step (hopefully today) will be to sand with 220 "no-load" dry paper. The idea here is to get the surfaces perfectly smooth, but not to cut into bare wood. Typically after this step, the surface is lightly blotchy - with areas of primer sanded so thin that you can faintly see the substrate underneath. Then I'll shoot two more coats of primer, wait a day or two, and sand glass smooth with 320-400.

Next installment: final finish.

InPhase... how's your RL-p15 project coming?

Dave

P.S. My after-Christmas present arrived yesterday: four on-sale RS180s to go with the four RS tweeters I got on sale a few weeks ago. Oops Thomas, I admit that I forgot to click through the HTguide link ops: Next project might be Modulas or Chris' MTMWW. Hmmmm...

Name:	Clamps.jpg
Views:	5903
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	847023

Name:	More Clamps.jpg
Views:	5947
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	847024

Name:	primer.jpg
Views:	9233
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	847025
            Last edited by theSven; 03 December 2023, 14:58 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Ok, Ok, first you need to start over, because that's no where near the amount of clamps needed to do the job right.... :B

Actually these look like a pair of really well designed and build boxes. They should sound great, even if they are slightly underweight.... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• engr_dave
                • Dec 2005

You can never have too many clamps!

What's a good gasket material for the drivers? In the past, I have used rope caulk or silicone with a mold release agent on the driver rim. There must be an easier way.

Finish is looking good, but I may wait another day to sand. It's been one of those rare cold and wet days here in the desert. I might have to wear a jacket today on a bike ride. (I had to rub it in, Thomas...)

Name:	second coat.jpg
Views:	6033
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	847028
                Last edited by theSven; 03 December 2023, 14:58 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Yep we only got 12" of snow last noc and another 12"+ is anticipated......At this point we're primed to break a record for the most snow, and that occurred in 1913.... 8O

I buy neoprene foam weather stripping tape. Here the local Ace Hardware stores carry it.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Habs4life
                    • Apr 2006

Dave those are some nicely built enclosures you have there.I can't wait to see them finished in the piano black.I would be interested in knowing the steps to achieve that type of finish.

Thomas we would gladly take some of that snow up here.Go figure it is the end of Dec and we still have absolutely none.Snowmobilers and skiers are crying the blues.

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Habs4life
                      Thomas we would gladly take some of that snow up here.Go figure it is the end of Dec and we still have absolutely none.Snowmobilers and skiers are crying the blues.
                      For the last few years we've been watering our lawns during the Xmas holidays due to a drought. So this is great from the H2O standpoint, but everyone is begining to suffer from cabin fever.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• WillyD
                        • Feb 2006

Those enclosures look great so far. Good work.

Comment

• engr_dave
                          • Dec 2005

I see that InPhase is getting ahead of me, so I'd better post some progress! :B

I sanded the primer with 220 and had to apply automotive spot putty in a few areas. Then another round of primer and final sand with 320. Finish was DuPont Lucite "Diamond Black" automotive acrylic lacquer. I shot three medium-wet coats which pretty much emptied the quart that I bought (thinned about 100% to 17sec viscosity). I gave it a week to dry and shrink, then color sanded with 600, then 1200. I used paint thinner as a lubricant because I'm paranoid about getting water around MDF. DuPont 606S white polishing compound gave it a final finish, although probably any decent rubbing/polishing compound would work. Be careful not to rub through the finish on the corners, although the 1/2" roundover really helps minimize that danger.

The last photo shows PE spikes and terminals installed on the bottom.

Next steps - wiring, insulation, and driver install. :T

Name:	ready for paint small.jpg
Views:	5941
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	847078

Name:	painted small.jpg
Views:	29108
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	847079

Name:	polish small.jpg
Views:	18691
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	847080

Name:	Bottoms with feet small.jpg
Views:	7619
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	847081
                          Last edited by theSven; 03 December 2023, 14:57 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Looking REALLY nice there Dave..... :E :T :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ---k---
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2005

Wow, impressive. Good work. Now hook those bad boys up and lets hear some listening impressions.

Also, your's and Inphase's would make great additions to the DIY Subwoofer Showcase thread in Mission Accomplished, so don't forget to write up a quick summary and post it there. I'm sure you will inspire a few people..
                              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• WillyD
                                • Feb 2006

Holy impressive finish Batman!

Niiiiiice work dude.

Comment

• engr_dave
                                  • Dec 2005

Thanks guys.

I had just enough time yesterday to fire them up briefly. I placed them on either side of the center channel along the front wall - a setup that looks good but may not be sonically optimum. The buggers are really hard to move. I thought I could "walk" them around by myself, but the spikes dig into the carpet. They must be lifted fully clear before attempting to shift - a two-person job for sure.

First impression on music (no EQ and with level set by ear) is that they were a little boomy and seemed to have a hole in the 30 Hz range - more than I would have expected from the FR simulations. This could easily be aggravated by room modes. I'll set up REQW next week to sort it out.

Then I put on some movies. All I can say is... Oh. My. God. 8O
                                  A visceral experience like no other. The pod race scene took on a whole new level of impact. Even without EQ, these things go DEEP. Some scenes from Atlantis that I was previously limited to -9dB with the old sub sounded great at -6... then -3. The entire room shook. Some of the popcorn stuff started falling off of the ceiling. I started to see clip lights on the Bryston 4BST driving my mains and backed off. No sign of strain from the subs. Perfect. :B

I can't wait to start making some measurements and dialing in the EQ.

Comment

• ---k---
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2005

Take the spikes off until you settle on room placement. You can probably walk them around then.

Also, I've taken to copying Thomas in moving my sub around on a small furniture dolly. Just make sure you don't give yourself a hernia like KG did.
                                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• engr_dave
                                      • Dec 2005

Attempted to set up the DEQ2496 today. Hmmmm... the inputs and outputs are XLR. 8O

No problem on the output side to the amp - ordinary XLR to XLR cables will work - but on the input side: dang! I wish I had purchased the balanced version of the MC-12 pre-pro. I guess I need RCA to XLR converters or cables

I have tons of Canare L5-CFB cable the Canare tool set. Can I just make some cables with standard RCAs on one end and these on the other:

Name:	092-011_HR_0.default.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	950047

And I guess while I am at it, I can make my own XLR to XLR cables between the DEQ and amp with the same male and female Neutrik connectors (this is DIY after all :W ). Any recommendations on balanced bulk cable to use in this case?
                                      Last edited by theSven; 03 December 2023, 15:02 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• engr_dave
                                        • Dec 2005

The DEQ2496 and measurement gear took some effort to set up and calibrate, but I finally got it! :T

With the subs in the original location, I had a few nasty peaks and a huge trough at 32-38 Hz. I moved the subs along the front wall closer to the room corners at slightly asymmetric distances and it helped some. I was able to tweak it mostly flat with seven filters out of ten (using "stereo link" mode for stereo subs).

The bad news is: I had to use 12 dB of boost at 35 Hz 8O - which I understand is a no-no. But I've played all sorts of music and movies and it sounds good, really good! And it still seems to have headroom. I played "Vogue" from the Dick Tracy soundtrack (which has lots of 30-45 Hz information) at utterly stupid levels (my clothes were vibrating) and had no problems. Last night I watched Pearl Harbor at full reference level. The battle scenes were so loud and so thunderous I expected to see clip lights on the K2... but instead the 400wpc amp on my mains ran out of gas first! (time to upgrade to the 7BSST monoblocks).

At this point, I could try more radical placement options to hopefully avoid having to use so much boost, but I'm happy with the results. Thoughts?

Also, there seems to be some debate about "house curve". As you can see from the REQ plot, I have 5-6 dB of lift at the bottom end. I tried it flatter and thought it sounded thin.

Finally, there's that hole at 110-120 Hz that I'm not sure what to do about. Could this be floor bounce from mic placement? I don't have any practical way to EQ this (the DEQ is on the subs only) so I may just live with it.

Overall I'm a happy camper. These things put out an astonishing amount of clean, tight bass - especially for "little" 110L boxes! I'll post some pictures of them "in situ".

Name:	full range final tweak set 3a- location 1.jpg
Views:	5636
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	847326
                                        Last edited by theSven; 03 December 2023, 14:59 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• warnerwh
                                          • Jan 2006

Your room curve looks pretty good. You do have a dip in a very important area above 100hz but it sounds like you are happy with the sound. You may want to try giving a boost to that region and see what it sounds like. If your speakers can handle it a 2db boost can help alot and I personally have no problem with a boost that small.

Your room curve is what sounds best to you. That's all that matters. I can't stand a perfectly flat response. I, like you, like a significant amount of bass. Mine is 3-4 db up sloping downward slightly to 120hz with a slow taper but more rapid taper to 500hz. Then my curve is pretty flat to 2khz where it starts a downward taper, being down 4-5 db at 20khz.

Here and there I will make small adjustments of .5 to 1db tweaking to the best average sound. This is because of the wide variety of recording quality. Being somewhat of a perfectionist and having a toy like the DEQ 2496 I can't help myself. :W

My point is that you should be happy you have a sound you like. I use two sealed subs using the Dayton 15" RS HiFi series and am more than pleased with the quality of my low bass. It's excellent. What really got me though had been the price of the drivers.

I know very little about diy and had been told to use them if you want very high quality bass. To be honest I had been a bit apprehensive due to the low cost of the drivers but know enough to listen to others that know more than myself. I'm sure your subs sound excellent also so enjoy your excellent yet inexpensive bass. :T

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                                            • Apr 2006

Are you locked with the present position? My initial position required a boost about 25hz and a huge attenuation at 50-65hz. I used a velodyne SMS-1 to EQ. Problem was that in other locations around the room the bass would be boomy. I've since tried a couple other positions. Very little EQ was actually required in my present position. Significantly better response as a function of room position.

Comment

• warnerwh
                                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by oxcartdriver
                                              Are you locked with the present position? My initial position required a boost about 25hz and a huge attenuation at 50-65hz. I used a velodyne SMS-1 to EQ. Problem was that in other locations around the room the bass would be boomy. I've since tried a couple other positions. Very little EQ was actually required in my present position. Significantly better response as a function of room position.
                                              Good points, even a couple of inches can make a significant difference. Something I need to do after I build a new enclosure for one of my subs.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2001

Can you give us the dimensions of your cabinets? I haven't built mine yet and I'm really thinking about two smaller cabinets (similar to yours) instead of the one large cabinet with quad drivers.

Also, how are you running the amp? Are you running the drivers wired in series for an 8 ohm load per channel, or parallel with a 2 ohm load per channel?

Comment

• engr_dave
                                                  • Dec 2005

OK, I might try moving them a bit. There are areas along the side walls that are bass-heavy, but since these aren't listening positions, I didn't worry too much about it.

Brian, IIRC the enclosures are 16x18x29 internal - something like 4.3cuft net after bracing and drivers. If you use MDF (I used 1" sides, 2" baffles), I recommend two enclosures. These "little" beasts are 170lb each :blink: . If I did it over again, I'd probably use BB. Extra mass isn't all that important in the dual-opposed configuration. I can attest that these are absolutely dead. I can't feel ANY cabinet vibrations - even during full-throttle, gut-rattling, vision-blurring tests :B .

I brought out both sets of terminals so I have wiring options. Currently they're wired in parallel for 2 ohms per channel.

Comment

• WillyD
                                                    • Feb 2006

Man, we need some pictures of them in action!

Comment

• h-bar
                                                      • Nov 2006

ground plane measurement

engr_dave: "Finally, there's that hole at 110-120 Hz that I'm not sure what to do about. Could this be floor bounce from mic placement? "

You could try a ground plane measurement to find out. Just put the mic on the floor and make a measurement. If there's a carpet and you want to measure at high frequencies you might have to play games with putting down a sheet of mdf or plywood or something, but for ~100 Hz I would think you could just lay the mic down on the floor and measure away. D'Appolito's book on loudspeaker measurements has more detail if you're interested.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Nov 2001

Yeah, I'm in the process of preping a cabinet that will house 4 of the RS 15" HO's for someone. It has 1.5" MDF walls, 3/4" bracing. It's 37.5"H x 18.75"W x 23"D I could pick it up and move it before I attached the front and back baffles. Now I'm using a hand truck to move it around. I can't wait to see how heavy it is once I add another 120 lbs. to it (roughly 30 lbs. per driver).

My sub will be no more than 23" deep just because I don't want it to stick out past the front of my towers, which are that deep. So I'm going to adjust width and height to get the volume I want.

Comment

• engr_dave
                                                          • Dec 2005

Man, we need some pictures of them in action!
                                                          OK WillyD I've attached a few. Still need to mess with placement, but they're sounding really good so far :T "Superman Returns" had some serious bass in a number of scenes, but I haven't found their limits yet! :E

Name:	room left.jpg
Views:	6670
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	847388

Name:	room right.jpg
Views:	8265
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	847389

Name:	room front.jpg
Views:	5841
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	847390

Name:	room with rack.jpg
Views:	6145
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	847391
                                                          Last edited by theSven; 03 December 2023, 15:00 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• WillyD
                                                            • Feb 2006

Those look so profressional.

Again, fantastic job.

Comment

• ssabripo
                                                              • Dec 2005

DAYUM! that's some serious finishing jobs! great work dude :T
                                                              My simple HT setup
                                                              4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• Branwell
                                                                • Dec 2005

WillyD,

Prefessional....no way....mine are professional.... :

Just kidding....Nice job....

B

Name:	DSC01464_2.jpg
Views:	5943
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	847394
                                                                Last edited by theSven; 03 December 2023, 15:00 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• colonial
                                                                  • Feb 2007

Dave, in post #20 you mention a hole at 120 Hz. Does this make any difference? I would have thought that this would be well away from your crossover frequency.

Have you experimented with a series hookup of the sub drivers? I know you will have less power on tap, but you may still have all you need, judging by the fact that your main amp is the limit, now. This will effectively quadruple the damping factor and the effective gauge of your speaker wire and would make an interesting difference for comparison purposes. Many amps sound better into a higher impedance load.

Finally, have you tried the speakers right in the corner on end, so one driver is facing down and the other up? Raised, of course!

Nice work on the construction and finishing, by the way. I am partial to the sound of this type of enclosure, I think it is potentially very non-resonant, especially if the drivers are matched in their individual free air resonant frequencies. The one I made, based on a design in HiFiNews about 30 years ago made the most natural sounding bass of anything I ever made. I crossed at about 100 Hz, too, so it was more than just a "sub", but a bass speaker in a three-way.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2001

I just finished the first quad RS 15" HO cabinet yesterday. I'm running it as a 4 ohm load connected to an EP2500 bridged. So far the bass is pretty damn scary. I'm a little hesitant to crank it too much first and foremost because it's not my sub. And second I'm hesitant because I was the first guy to blow the original Adire Tumult driver. But the final battle scenes between Obi Wan and Anakin in Episode III were seriously shaking the house. The roaring lava was just awesome. Kick drums were pretty amazing on The Eagles: Hell Freezes Over DVD as well.

Comment

• Nathan P
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2006

I'm guessing you live in Denver by what you've said in Denver. You guys are getting everything this year, we just got the first rain/snow in forever in Cali, but it dumped.

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                                                      For the last few years we've been watering our lawns during the Xmas holidays due to a drought. So this is great from the H2O standpoint, but everyone is begining to suffer from cabin fever.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Yep in Denver for a really longtime. This is a record setting winter. The city has rented one of these to help deal with the accumulated snow.....contains two- 9,000,000 BTU burners.... 8O 8O 8O

Last edited by theSven; 03 December 2023, 15:01 Sunday. Reason: Update URL

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Al Garay
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2004

Brian,

Can you post a picture of your quad cabinet?

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Nov 2001
                                                                            • 1389

I'll post them in several replies so I don't have to worry about shrinking them down. The cabinets are finished in black laminate so it's kind of hard to see detail (and my camera sucks). I'll try to get more pics later with my wife's Nikon D70.

Images not available
                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 03 December 2023, 15:05 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Nov 2001
                                                                              • 1389

#39
                                                                              Here are the rest!

Images not available
                                                                              Last edited by theSven; 03 December 2023, 15:06 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• JonP
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Apr 2006
                                                                                • 690

#40
                                                                                Beautious! Black on black looks good... (and no, I'm not sucking up to Evil Twin...) :W

A touch of black marker in those driver recesses, and they'll be ready for the Concourse...

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Nov 2001
                                                                                  • 1389

#41
                                                                                  Thanks! I think they look pretty nice, but I just can't bring myself to put an all black speaker in my home (unless the cabinet is gloss black and that's a stretch even then). And yeah, I didn't think the edge would show. I dropped in the first driver and couldn't see the edge of the recess. Once I got them all installed and started looking at it I could see them.

Comment

• Habs4life
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Apr 2006
                                                                                    • 85

#42
                                                                                    Those are great looking enclosures Brian,may I ask the dimensions and net volume?And will you be using an LT or shelving filters to help the very bottom?
                                                                                    Edit:Sorry I see you mentioned the dimensions in a previous post.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2001
                                                                                      • 1389

#43
                                                                                      Well, the sub belongs to a guy in Orlando and he'll be picking it up this weekend. I'll be happy to setup some sort of BFD or DEQ for him if he wants. It definitely does 20Hz unassisted. The guy mentioned possibly wanting a 2nd one. That would be a pretty killer system to go along with his big Legacy towers.

Comment

• engr_dave
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Dec 2005
                                                                                        • 112

#44
                                                                                        The guy mentioned possibly wanting a 2nd one
                                                                                        :E You've got to be kidding! I cranked some bassy music (lots of 25-35Hz content according to the DEQ2496 RTA) and observed 115+dB at 15' with headroom to spare. I can't imagine needing twice that many drivers.

But compared to Thomas' twelve-driver IB, I suppose eight sealed RSS390HOs seems quite reasonable. How do they say... "too much is not enough and ridiculous excess is just right". :T

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 10934

#45
                                                                                          The wretched excess motto..

If some's good....
                                                                                          More's better...
                                                                                          And too much....
                                                                                          Is just enough..... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"