X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

RT-1084 in stock and shipping!

Just got word today they have the new 1084 tuner in stock.

Rotel’s advanced RT-1084 takes advantage of all of the latest tuner technology, including HD Radio™ and Sirius™, to provide you with a solid audio performance unlike any analog tuner before it.

Price is $799 I believe. Looks pretty good, AM/FM/HD radio. Can control up to 3 sirius tuner models (priced at $50 each).

A plus side I didn't know, while it does have a switched output (one output switched between the tuners) it also has individual outputs for each tuner. So if you have a multi-zone system you can be listening to FM in zone 1, sirius in zone 2, another sirius in zone 3, etc..

We'll have to see if it makes Sirius sound any better or not (doubtful).

Kevin D.
    Last edited by Kevin D; 13 December 2006, 23:55 Wednesday.
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

Thanks for the info, Kevin. I am a Sirius fan, so this looks pretty interesting.

Looks like your link needs to be fixed, tho. 8)
    Brad

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

oops! Link fixed.

Thanks

Comment

• miner
        • Mar 2005

Thanks Kevin. Off to my dealer today.

Comment

• june
          • Feb 2005

$899.00 & in stock in the Philly area.
          June
          "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• sarsi
            • Nov 2004

Any idea is HD Radio same as DAB or they are different broadcasting all together? thanks

Comment

• Slice
              • Jan 2005

Nice unit, but why, oh why, did they rid the display of Britney Spears? After all, she's such a class act :blonde: :boobies: ;s@ :boozer: :driver: :F

Maybe K-Fed works at Rotel now? 8x) :urinate: :beer: :dancenana: :frypan: :thud: :loser:

:rofl: :roflmao:
              - Slice

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by sarsi
                Any idea is HD Radio same as DAB or they are different broadcasting all together? thanks
                Different signal type all together. While DAB is used in most of the world, HD radio was adopted for the US and a few other countries.

Kevin D.

Comment

• EAmin
                  • Aug 2004

So I guess the delay in the release was to include HD radio. I believe earlier specs did not include this. I think was a good move for Rotel. Although I've never heard HD radio, I'm glad that I'll be buying something with the latest built into it.

Can't wait to get my hands on one.

Comment

• Clepto
                    • Feb 2006

I have HD radio in my car, keep in mind that HD in this cases stands for HYBRID DIGITAL (not HIGH DEFINITION).

It allows a station to switch between Digital and Analog rather seamlessly. Fidelity _can_ be improved, but in some cases may not be, due to the mutlichannels available.

I.e. instead of a single high bandwidth station, you get 1 med, and 2 'sub channels'. The sub channels could be playing 24 hour news, and 24 hour jazz, while the main channel has the standard programming schedule.

Comment

• sarsi
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
                      Different signal type all together. While DAB is used in most of the world, HD radio was adopted for the US and a few other countries.

Kevin D.
                      Thanks Kevin for the information

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Comment

• Blindamood
                        • Sep 2003

Haven't heard anything about the RT-1084 in a long time. I'm curious...does anyone here have one yet, and if so, are you using it for Sirius? I'd be interested in hearing how it sounds.
                        Brad

Comment

• Slice
                          • Jan 2005

I heard on the news last night that the FCC decision is still pending w.r.t. the combination of Sirius and XM.

I'm waiting for the price on the unit to plummet due to no sales. My impression it that it's become an unwanted step-child. I went in to look at one in the spring and the demo was sitting all dusty and neglected on a shelf. The sales person almost didn't know it was there, and it took a good long while for him to figure out it was not even cabled up to the Rotel 2-channel system above it. And he had no idea how to work the controls and didn't know jack about HD Radio. Yet, this same dealer got rid of all their RT-1080's to carry only the 1084.

For $900, I think they can take a hike!
                          - Slice

Comment

• hifiguymi
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Blindamood
                            Haven't heard anything about the RT-1084 in a long time. I'm curious...does anyone here have one yet, and if so, are you using it for Sirius? I'd be interested in hearing how it sounds.
                            After a two month wait due to a backorder situation, I'm installing one on Saturday and I'll set you know how it sounds. The customer has a CDP-202, CP-700, CA-2200, and a pair of 803D's so I should be able to get a good idea on performance.

Eric

Comment

• baztroy
                              • May 2007

Update to RT 1084

Has anyone reported on this unit yet - is it any good, or is it the product that no-one wants?

Seasons greetings

Comment

• TommyV
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Slice
                                I heard on the news last night that the FCC decision is still pending w.r.t. the combination of Sirius and XM.

I'm waiting for the price on the unit to plummet due to no sales. My impression it that it's become an unwanted step-child. I went in to look at one in the spring and the demo was sitting all dusty and neglected on a shelf. The sales person almost didn't know it was there, and it took a good long while for him to figure out it was not even cabled up to the Rotel 2-channel system above it. And he had no idea how to work the controls and didn't know jack about HD Radio. Yet, this same dealer got rid of all their RT-1080's to carry only the 1084.

For $900, I think they can take a hike!
                                I was a little shocked when I saw the price. I can not seem to find anyone who actually has this unit. What I would really like to see is a RT-1080 replacement that is AM/FM/HD for about $600. Onkyo makes a nice looking unit that is XM/Sirus/HD/AM/FM that I have been looking at as well.

Comment

• Blindamood
                                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by TommyV
                                  Onkyo makes a nice looking unit that is XM/Sirus/HD/AM/FM that I have been looking at as well.
                                  Good catch on the Onkyo! For $599 list (and probably available cheaper), it has all bases covered. This would look really good in silver, to match my Onkyo A-9555 integrated amp!

Onkyo T-4555 Tuner
                                  Brad

Comment

• TommyV
                                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Blindamood
                                    Good catch on the Onkyo! For $599 list (and probably available cheaper), it has all bases covered. This would look really good in silver, to match my Onkyo A-9555 integrated amp!

Onkyo T-4555 Tuner
                                    Only downside I see is no SPDIF connection though I would probably not use that anyway. It is like $390 at BH photo. I have been considering picking one up to see how it is.

Comment

• tc4all
                                      • May 2008

The good and the bad

First, I work at an audio store so you can take what I say with whatever grain of salt you like, but I am being honest and I'll never mention the store name.

I can tell you this, from several friends, installers, and customers the consensus seems to be that "cheap" Japanese brand HD tuners sound pretty bad. Secondly, good ones, like the Rotel, really sound great when compared to standard radio. I know people that sold their cheap ones, bought the Rotel, and are very happy. When it comes to the different feeds. There is no two ways about that the seperation and clarity is much more CD like on all. The extra feeds may be news, commercial free music, talk, or simply another mix of the same music (more bass or more trebble). Some of this has to do with stations not being ready to invest in a totally new feed yet. Let's face it, it becomes another one or two "stations" to program, sell commercials for, and pay bills for, and they aren't all ready to do that yet.

Finally, the better HD radios / tuners are superior to some of the best tuners in separation and clarity. However the best, like Fanfare and Magnum Dynalab still have the edge in smoothness, tonality, and liquidity of sound. They still present a more refined listening experience that some people would rather have. I would guess that as HD Radio becomes the norm you will see the two benefits merging as the best tuner manufacturers build and sell HD tuners.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• H.T.C
                                        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Kevin D

Kevin D.
                                        There is also DRM or DIGITAL RADIO MONDIAL covers am/fm/sw in stereo for europe and australia is getting it,atleast,for swortwave braodcasting.

DAB radio is uk only,i think it is,not sure.
                                        Robert

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"