X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Active Cauer-Elliptic filter design in 20 minutes

In a couple of threads recently there has been some discussion as to how to create an active analog Cauer-Elliptic filter. I've made some up in a simulator and thought I'd share my results.

I haven’t got a clue how to run through the math to determine component values. Lancaster’s Active Filter Cookbook offers a hint, and even a topology for a second C-E order filter. He uses a state variable filter to make the notch, and the book offers no other notch. I plugged it into a circuit simulator and played with component values so I could see how it worked. The trouble with his second order was that I could not get Jon Marsh’s steep initial roll off and keep the bounce low enough to be useful. I had similar results with Jason Cuadra's topology.

Just as Butterworth Filter describes a response shape rather than a topology, Cauer-Elliptic filter describes a response that has a steep initial roll off and somewhere in the stop band the response rises to some level and ends up rolling off at the basic filter rate. For the purposes of an active XO, we want a response that meets Jon Marsh’s criteria - ~8th order LR initial roll off and a bounce that stays at least 50 db down.

Being a “rip off other people’s building blocks” artist, I figured I could get there with a fourth order filter and a notch filter. I used unity gain Sallen-Key topology. After spending the better part of a day on it, I got there.

I started with a standard LR4 filter and found that the Q of the filter sections need to be much higher than standard because the notch causes a roll off earlier than expected. You’ll see a little ripple (~1 dB) either side of the XO, but that is the price you pay for the steep initial roll off.

Interestingly, as I was adjusting values to see which one has what impact on transfer function, I stumbled onto a curve that looked like Jon’s usual products with built in baffle step compensation. It didn’t match the baffles I was looking to use for a RS150/27TDFC MT, and after a few iterations, I gave up and went back to flat pass band response. I don’t have Jon’s aversion to op amps (obviously), so add another stage and be done with it.

I can’t offer a spreadsheet to generate C-E filters but the nutshell guidance when you sit down with a simulator is:

Start with a standard 4th order crossover topology with HP and LP sections followed by a notch filter of your choosing. (state variable, LCR, Active inductor, gyrator)

As Jon suggested, a notch about an octave away from the desired frequency works pretty well. It needs to be fairly high Q – I ended up at 6.5, with 32.5 dB of cut.

Set one section of your HP and LP filters to give an F3 of the desired crossover frequency with a Q of 1.6. Set the second section at 15% higher (for HP) or lower (for LP) with a Q of 1.7.

Play with filter component values to adjust the Q to reach the desired response. Increasing the F3 spread of the offset sections decreases pass band ripple, but you'll have to reduce the notch attenuation to compensate, making the bounce higher.

I haven't figured out how to sum responses or even display phase in the demo version of 5Spice I use, so this may not sum correctly. I'd appreciate any guidance.

The schematic - a mess because the program is crippled by allowable drawing size. I didn't make a serious attempt to use component values that are actually available. The spreadsheet I use to calculate component values allows me to pick at least one capacitor per section, so you get some standard values

Click image for larger version

Name:	CauerXOSCHEMATIC.webp
Views:	243
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	931510

The resulting response:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CauerXOFR.webp
Views:	204
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	931511
    Last edited by theSven; 02 April 2023, 15:59 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
  • cotdt
    • Oct 2005

Where can I get a copy of this 5Spice?

Comment

• BobEllis
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

google is your friend - the first hit searching on 5Spice is http://www.5spice.com/

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

That sounds about right, Bob. I didn't spend a whole lot of time with it but I fiddled a bit with using Behringer DCX filters in LspCAD.

Starting point, Butterworth 4th order filters.
        Add a deep notch an octave (or maybe a bit more) above/below (requires several filters with the DCX to get the depth).
        Adjust Fc of the highpass/lowpass filters.
        Add parametric boost to adjust the Q of the highpass/lowpass.

Using LspCAD's optimizer with the 3 sets of filters (highpass/lowpass, notch, Q adjuster) you could get really close to Jon's transfer function.

Comment

• BobEllis
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Dennis. I was looking to impliment something on some analog boards I am running a group buy for (at www.diyaudio.com for those interested, look under marketplace-> group buys). It will be fun to try an active version of some of Jon's designs.

Someday I'll get LspCAD

Comment

• cotdt
            • Oct 2005

Yeah, active versions will be much cheaper.

Comment

• BobEllis
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

Active is only cheaper if you already have more good amps than you can really use, like me

Comment

• JoshK
                • Mar 2005

One question.....I am all for getting in on the GB, but this is CE electrical right, not acoustic? Is it the transfer function acoustically that we are after, or electrically?

I thought we wanted that behavior when augmented with the driver's behavior, in which case the electrical transfer isn't going to be general enough....

I guess I am a little confused...

Comment

• JoshK
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by BobEllis
                  Active is only cheaper if you already have more good amps than you can really use, like me
                  Um....that's me too. ops:

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

Is it the transfer function acoustically that we are after
                    Sure, just like any good crossover. LspCAD lets you use the measured driver response (magnitude and phase) and optimize the components (active or passive) to get the desired acoustical response.

Comment

• JoshK
                      • Mar 2005

so breaking it down for the electrically challenged...

we can use this topology with our measured response to acheive the desired acoustic transfer fn?

Comment

• Dennis H
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2002

Looks like it but you'll have to try it. Plug the circuit plus the measured driver response into LspCAD. Spice doesn't know about drivers so it's just dealing with the electrical response of the filters.

Comment

• BobEllis
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

yes - the topology works. What I have shown is the electrical response. Acoustic response can be tailored by tweaking component values. If you push this down to ~1500 Hz, the 27TDFC needs a little boost under 2K - hmm, what does the filter do? and you may want a little boost in the top end. Oh, got that too. if you don't need that you can equalize it out by pulling the notch deeper and adding a lp or shelving low pass to compensate for the rise.

If you make the notch deeper, you'll get the built in baffle step I mentioned. You'll need to attenuate the tweeter response to make it work, but that's easy. On the other hand, the cabinets I plan to use produce a little dip just over 1K, and the bump can fill that in.

Those of use without LspCAD adjust our filter response by eye and measure, repeat as needed.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"