X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theMaximus
    • Jul 2004

Musical Fidelity X-10V3 Tube Output Buffer

I have always been intrigued about the sound of vacuum tubes but have never been able to afford one. After reading some really good reviews, I just purchased this to try out. Musical Fidelity claims you can put this between your music source (CD player, IPOD, etc...) and your preamp or between your preamp and power amp to enhance dynamics and warmth. Has anyone heard about this product or tried one? I'll let you know how it works out for me once I receive it. I hope it would be the best and cheapest upgrade I've ever made for $399 (US).

You can check it out at

Oh dear, something has gone wrong. Here's a couple of things to try next to get back to the good stuff... Use your browser's 'Back' button and...
    Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

i have x-10 v3 and i love it. 2 channel sound couldn't be better since i got it.

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Here are a couple of other X-10 threads you might be interested in:

Musical Fidelity X-ray V3
      MF X-10 V3 Tube Buffer...

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• theMaximus
        • Jul 2004

X-10 V3 turned out to be the best upgrade I've ever made for $399. Sound from my Cambridge Audio Azur 540C has never been better. I noticed instant improvement in sound stage and warmth. Now, I have hard time distinguishing sound of regular CDs from my CD player and that of SACDs from my Denon DVD-2910. I have David Brubeck's Time Out in both Redbook CD and SACD, and CD sounds justy as good as the SACD in my opinion. This was truly an amazing upgrade for the money.

Comment

• jim777
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by theMaximus
          X-10 V3 turned out to be the best upgrade I've ever made for $399. Sound from my Cambridge Audio Azur 540C has never been better. I noticed instant improvement in sound stage and warmth. Now, I have hard time distinguishing sound of regular CDs from my CD player and that of SACDs from my Denon DVD-2910. I have David Brubeck's Time Out in both Redbook CD and SACD, and CD sounds justy as good as the SACD in my opinion. This was truly an amazing upgrade for the money.
          Then why not try the tube buffer with your SACD player!? Maybe that Brubeck will be even more cool then

Comment

• theMaximus
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jim777
            Then why not try the tube buffer with your SACD player!? Maybe that Brubeck will be even more cool then
            I'm going to try using the tube buffer between my preamp and power amp to benefit from it from all sources. It would be interesting to see if that would still make as much impact.

Comment

• jim777
              • Mar 2005

I'm going to try using the tube buffer between my preamp and power amp to benefit from it from all sources. It would be interesting to see if that would still make as much impact.
              If you have a good pre, I don't think the tube buffer will do lots of good there between the pre and the amp. I think that you have a big impact while using it with your CDP because you are not loading it's op-amps. A good pre shouldn't be that much "loaded" by the amp.

Just my 0.0002 cents...

Comment

• theMaximus
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jim777
                If you have a good pre, I don't think the tube buffer will do lots of good there between the pre and the amp. I think that you have a big impact while using it with your CDP because you are not loading it's op-amps. A good pre shouldn't be that much "loaded" by the amp.

Just my 0.0002 cents...
                I agree with you. I just wanted to make sure that betweem CDP and preamp is the best place to put it.

Comment

• jim777
                  • Mar 2005

I agree with you. I just wanted to make sure that betweem CDP and preamp is the best place to put it.
                  Good attitude

The way things are set up in my cabinet, I try not to play too much around doing tests like that. If it's easy in your case, then it costs nothing to try :T

Comment

• tboooe
                    • Jun 2005

I am seriously considering getting the X10 and putting it between my Cary 303/300 just to see whose tube output stage was better. I also have a Sonos wireless music server that I wnat to try the x10 also. Originally i thought about doing what maximus suggested and putting the x10 after the preamp but like jim777 said, a good pre's impedence should be matched well with the amp.

off to try and find a used x10....

Comment

• jim777
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by tboooe
                      but like jim777 said, a good pre's impedence should be matched well with the amp
                      Unless the goal of the tube buffer is to create a more mellow (rolled-off) sound... :rofl:

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"