DVI/HDMI cable length...How Long can you go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ToddAnisman
    • Apr 2005

DVI/HDMI cable length...How Long can you go?

I need to run about 25'-30' from my equipment rack to the PJ. I would love to go DVI->HDMI. Before I plop $250 on the cable (and then a bunch more labor and work putting it in the ceiling...) I would dig it if any of you have had experience, either positive or negative with this length of cable. I have had problems in the past with extending DVI, but maybe the times have changed. I am especially interested if anyone has had problems and then gotten around them- and how.
    peace,

-Todd A.
  • Adz
    • Jan 2004

Check out Ultralink.com.
    They have a DVI to HDMI connection that has been tested to 10 meters without signal loss.
    Adz

Comment

• georgev
      • Jul 2004

Your signal on DVI cannot go on very long lengths, while on HDMI can go very long, upto 50m.
      DVI upto about 15' and from that length HDMI.
      If your player has only DVI, get a DVI to HDMI adapter and then run your HDMI cable to the PJ.
      Distance is about the only setback with DVI. When you get to very long runs of HDMI, then the reccommendation is fibreoptic HDMI.

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

You can get more than 15' out of copper (as opposed to fiber) DVI. You can definitely get up to about 35' over DVI with the right cable (even at 1080p), it has been done by several people I am aware of. At 720p rez I know at least 10 people operating it at 50'.

HDMI overall has better long cable performance, but if you are converting DVI to HDMI, you can lose this benefit and be right back at DVI length limitations, if you are using a straight unpowered converter rather than some sort of DA or line amplifier.

You need to buy the cable from someone who will offer a money back performance guarantee and try it before putting it in the ceiling. Once you have one that works, then install it.

BB

Comment

• Ralph P.
          • Feb 2005

Greetings,

When I had my Sony HS10 I ran a 10 meter DVI-D cable from my Denon 3910 DVD player and HD cable box to the projector. I used a Lindy cable which you can find at www.lindy.com ( Go to the USA site ). This cable is also reasonably priced at $80.

Best of luck !
          Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
          Blu-ray Disc Reviews
          AVSForum.com
          My Home Theater
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• JSMD
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ToddAnisman
            I need to run about 25'-30' from my equipment rack to the PJ. I would love to go DVI->HDMI. Before I plop $250 on the cable (and then a bunch more labor and work putting it in the ceiling...) I would dig it if any of you have had experience, either positive or negative with this length of cable. I have had problems in the past with extending DVI, but maybe the times have changed. I am especially interested if anyone has had problems and then gotten around them- and how.
            peace,

-Todd A.
            Check the web: there are several manufacturers offering better cables and cheapper than MC!

I tried up to 50ft cables without problems.

Don't believe Circuit City or Best Buy. In digital data transfer: either it works or it does not! Unlike analog data transfer, which can experience data degradation or distortion over distance, even short.

Recently, I bought a 40ft dvi to hdmi 152.95 (ramelectronics.net) between a htpc and a panasonic pt-ae700u (1080i and 720p). Excellent high density, 25awg, quick delivery.

You may wish also to check:

blue jeans cable: 23ft dvi-hdmi $107.00; 40 ft di-hdmi $153.50 equivalent to ram.

monoprice.com: 50ft hdmi-dvi: $70.00. Never tried but heard there are good too. Jacket might not be as strong, but not a problem in fixed installation.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I use a 30' HDMI cable from Gefen without problems at 720p. I think it's close to it's limit, because I got problems when adding a Gefen HDMI switcher and other source cables, but the 30' works on its own. $199.

In contrast, I had to use the Gefen to replace a cheaper 30' one from Pacific Cable with major flicker also at 720p. I think it was $129 or something. Pacific cables are fine for shorter distances, but was over the limit at 30'.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

The JVC guys used an Extron at 30' at 1080p when they demo'ed the HD2K for us.

BB

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"