X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calman48
    • Mar 2005

Musical Fidelity X-10-V3

Anybody have or heard the Musical Fidelity X-10-V3 tube output stage on a CD player?
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

I have this box connected between rcd-1072 and rc-1070. The sound is smooth and transparant. This will help to smooth a bit with so-called "bright" speaker. I don't know if explain it correctly or not, but i have Aperion PTs and the sound is wonderful.

I also try to connect it between amp rb-1080 and denon avr-3805. Then i play music from denon dvd-2200 (connected with digital out). The sound can't be better ... bigger soundstage, smooth.

Since i have my own a room for 2-channel music only, i keep tube buffer between rotel cd player and pre-amp.

Some people don't like it as they think it modify the sound...but i don't know about that. the only thing i know is the sound is much better than before.

Comment

• calman48
      • Mar 2005

Musical Fidelity X-10-V3

I want to put one between my Rotel RCD-02 and Nakamichi CA 7A preamp. Just wondering if it's worth the $$$.

Comment

• audiofan
        • May 2004

I have never heard rcd-02 or Nakamachi pream, but i think it will improve the sound a lot. Like i mentioned earlier, i also put my between the amp and the receiver avr-3805, and the sound is wonderful. However, the sound from rcd-1072 alone is great. Can you call any local high-end dealers and do audition?

I think there are some unit advertised at audiogon.com You may want to take a look.

Comment

• calman48
          • Mar 2005

I read a reveiw on Audioweb this guy love it on older model Rotel CD (955?).

Comment

• nelly
            • Mar 2005

musical fidelity x10 v3

has any one tried the x10 between the pre amp and power amp i have the x dac, psu and x 10 hooked up to my fmj cd33 and the set up sounds superb. would adding a further tube buffer between the amps up the sound even further?.

Comment

• gostan
              • May 2003

Originally posted by nelly
              has any one tried the x10 between the pre amp and power amp i have the x dac, psu and x 10 hooked up to my fmj cd33 and the set up sounds superb. would adding a further tube buffer between the amps up the sound even further?.
              How did the sound change and what are you using for a pre amp? I assume that the mobile fidelity dacs in the x10 are superior to the dacs in your preamp and cd player. I too would be interested in what if any difference the mf x10 tue buffer would provide in sound if I were to purchase it and place it between my Rotel 1098 and my Aragon 8008 amp.
              Stan

Comment

• Nick Danger
                • Aug 2004

I bought one from a dealer here who was offering a 7 day money back trial. I hooked my Yamaha CDR-HD1000 to it, and I was not impressed for the first 5 or 6 hours, but now that I have had it for a couple of weeks, I am very happy with the sound coming from my CD player! I hear much improved sound staging and bass is more natural and better defined. In short, the addition of the tube output buffer has improved the sound quality from my modest CD player. YMMV, but I am really enjoying what I perceive as added warmth to the music, be it jazz, classical or rock.

Nick

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I've merged the two threads on this unit.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• hired goon
                    • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by audiofan
                    Some people don't like it as they think it modify the sound...but i don't know about that. the only thing i know is the sound is much better than before.
                    I assume that a tube buffer would be adding some distortion to the signal. Some people want to keep the sound reproduction as close as possible to the original signal, which is why purposely adding distortion would be horrifying to them.

But all that matters is that you like the final sound. If adding distortion (or increased treble, bass, etc) pleases your ears better than the original signal, then add it.

Personally I try to keep the signal as "pure" as possible, but I must admit that I haven't heard the effect of adding an X-10 into the signal path. I would like to, however, out of curiousity.

--Geoff

Comment

• audiofan
                      • May 2004

x-10 V3 does not change the sound characteristic from your system ( at least , IMO). It just smooth out the sound. Especially, when listening to high tone in metal rock , you don't feel fatigue. I don't know how to explain it in technical term, but in general, the sound is smooth and soundstage seems to be wider.

i agree with Geoff that it does modify the original sound, but not much. It does both bad and good depending on your taste. After break-in, the sound is much better and i like it alot. Note that i put this toy between Rotel rc-1070 and rcd-1072 , which by itself is already a great CD players.

Anyway, the best way is to try it to see if you like it or not. One thing that i leave it on all the time as suggested by Musical Fidelity.

Comment

• calman48
                        • Mar 2005

The X-10V3 was the tweek my set up needed . I have a rotel RCD-02 , Nakamichi Ca7A preamp. I knocked the output signal down with 6db inline attenuators hooked up the tube buffer an WOW nice sound . All the digital harshness is gone but the clarity is still there. Bass is smoother not muddy sound stage is more open, it's like listening to good vinyl on a high end TT. I can now listen to CD's for hours that digital fatiguing is gone . I like to kept the sound pure also but how pure is the sound on a CD anyway? excluding Mapleshape ones (they don't using any processers at all) . I don't think it added "noise" to the signal. I'm keeping mine (2 years parts and labor warranty)

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                          • Apr 2005

>I don't think it added "noise" to the signal. I'm keeping mine (2 years parts and labor warranty)[/QUOTE]

Noise is anything added or subtracted from the original signal (anything)

Keeping that in mind, we rarely want to hear the "original signal" we tend to like some coloration (by definition: noise) in our signal path.

Ultimately you gotta go with what you like, regardless...

Just my 2 cents
                          Andrew

Comment

• gostan
                            • May 2003

Does anybody use the separate x-psu power supply with the tube buffer? And if so, do you think that it helps the soundstage at all?

I am using the Mobile Fidelity x- pre-amp any the external power supply is hardly noticeable.
                            Stan

Comment

• audiofan
                              • May 2004

My dealer saleman said the x-psu will help , but only i have extra money... He told me that it will be fine for now. If you have several Small X-series devices, then it's worth to get x-psu. Check audiogon.com and you may find some good deal.

Comment

• Dlite
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by gostan
                                How did the sound change and what are you using for a pre amp? I assume that the mobile fidelity dacs in the x10 are superior to the dacs in your preamp and cd player. I too would be interested in what if any difference the mf x10 tue buffer would provide in sound if I were to purchase it and place it between my Rotel 1098 and my Aragon 8008 amp.
                                Gostan, the X10 has no DAC's it is "simply" a tube output stage that passes the input through a tube to give it that softer less digital sound many seek.

Comment

• Dlite
                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by gostan
                                  Does anybody use the separate x-psu power supply with the tube buffer? And if so, do you think that it helps the soundstage at all?

I am using the Mobile Fidelity x- pre-amp any the external power supply is hardly noticeable.
                                  Gostan,
                                  External power supplies are always preferable, and i agree it is better value for money if you have several x components. If this is the only x component you have I expect the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Besides in general I think the x10 is a bandaid fix for other problems in your system that are not sounding the way you want them to sound

Comment

• bhuskins
                                    • Aug 2003

This is a great add on piece to make an inexpensive player sound much better than it really is. The idea is that you’re creating something similar to the tube buffed outputs of the Musical Fidelity A5 or the Cary Audio 303/300...both excellent players by the way. Every one of my customers that's tried an X-10v3 has loved the results.

Brent Huskins
                                    Media Design
                                    HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• Nick Danger
                                      • Aug 2004

I am in full agreement with Brent! The more I listen to my cds now, the more I enjoy them! Acoustic music particularly benefits from the X10 - strings sound more organic - but percussion also seems more natural.

The dealer here did not have one unit returned oon their seven day risk-free trial, and I can hear why!

I look at it this way: I can't afford the $16,000 CDN price of the Linn universal disc player, I don't think I could get much more bang for the buck spending $3000 on a CD player as compared to the $700 I spent on the X10! Since we are still in the midst of format wars - and Blu Ray vs. HD is next, I can sit on the sidelines with my Yamaha/X10 combo quite nicely!

Comment

• Spearmint
                                        • Sep 2004

Today I had the opportunity to listen to one of the MF X10-V3 tube units. The problem was it was on loan to a friend of mine he also borrowed the matching DAC as well although he couldn’t get the PSU as the dealer had just sold their last unit.

So I bundled up my Benchmark DAC1 and went over to his house with another friend, to check the units out.

The MF X10 units sounded great although we all thought the Benchmark had the edge in the 3D stakes and also in the subtle detail levels. After much playing we coupled the MF tube unit to the Benchmark and there was an immediate improvement in the depth of the sound. The combination of the X10-V3 & Benchmark DAC1 is a fantastic mix IMO, although it’s a pity we couldn’t test the PSU, as I have read these PSU’s can lift the level of sound by a couple of points. Based on previous posts in this thread probably only worth the expense if I have several X10 units.

All I can say is I was impressed, now if I can obtain one at a reasonable cost I will add it to the Benchmark.
                                        Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• audiofan
                                          • May 2004

I agree with other post that X-10 V3 makes sound softer. For the first few days, i feel like the system lacks something in sound, but after break-in (2 weeks listening) , i like this toy a lot. Sound is much smoother, cleaner and detail. I put this one between my rote rcd-1072 and rc-1070. i'm happy for now...well, gotta go to listening Norah Jones that i bought yesterday...

Comment

• Spearmint
                                            • Sep 2004

If anyone is interested in how our little GTG went regarding DAC's and in particular the MF X-10v3 please look at the link below...

DAC GTG
                                            Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• Vince Helm
                                              • Mar 2006

Try using the power umbilical cable from Revelation Audio Labs. The sound is most amazing!

Vince

Comment

Working...
                                              😀
                                              😂
                                              🥰
                                              😘
                                              🤢
                                              😎
                                              😞
                                              😡
                                              👍
                                              👎
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"