X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adz
    • Jan 2004

TV Decision Time - Hitachi LCD vs. Samsung DLP

My buddy has narrowed down his choices of a 16:9 TV set to either a 50 inch Samsung DLP or a 50 inch Hitachi LCD rear Projection - both sets are about 22 inches in depth and after negotiation are both in the same $2,500 price point. He's been roaming the net a bit and everyone seems to be suggesting the Hitachi saying its top notch - IMO, I told him to go with the DLP since its just newer technology, but thought I'd throw it out here to my 'peeps' to see what ya' think, if anything?
    Adz
  • mzuelch
    • Dec 2004

Have him look at JVC HD-52Z585 (same price as 575 model but has a few more features and is all black, check the JVC web site. Much better picture that plasma, dlp or lcd. It's old technology for projectors, just like dlp, but just put into a tv. Does not have rainbow effect and limited viewing angles of dlp. Just finished hooking mine up to Comcast Cable, VCR, DVD & Laserdisc - all awesome. Look at projectorcentral.com for pro's and con's of all technology.

Comment

• jfelty
      • Dec 2004

While visiting my local A/V dealership yesterday the sales associate told me that next year Samsung, LG, and some other major vendors are planning to get out of the DLP market and focus only on plasma and LCD's. IHO, DLP technology would go by the wayside in the next several years. He also said that the white light from the reflection wheel causes many people headaches if watching for extended period of times.

Not sure if the information is true. It was disappointing to hear because this is the direction I was headed for my new set. Anyone else heard anything similar?

<>
      Jim

Comment

• junior77blue
        • Nov 2004

well, dlp has better blacks than LCD. But DLP does have the potential rainbow effect. This supposedly effects like 2% of the population or some small amount. So, you almost need to try it out and see if effects you. Odds are probably not...but if it does it could be a bad thing.

Hitachi does make good LCD rptv, that's what I own. But there were some other factors involved my purchase. Ideally, I would have like to owned one of the Samsung pedestal DLPs. But couldn't deal with the pedestal integrated with the screen.

Comment

• Adz
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jfelty
          While visiting my local A/V dealership yesterday the sales associate told me that next year Samsung, LG, and some other major vendors are planning to get out of the DLP market and focus only on plasma and LCD's. IHO, DLP technology would go by the wayside in the next several years. He also said that the white light from the reflection wheel causes many people headaches if watching for extended period of times.

Not sure if the information is true. It was disappointing to hear because this is the direction I was headed for my new set. Anyone else heard anything similar?

<>
          Jim
          At least with respect to Samsung, I've heard just the opposite. I think their commitment to Texas Instruments and its DLP technology is matter of public record with Samsung and next generation chips such as the HD2+ (which is already out in front projectors) and the xHD3 chip with Dark Chip (DC) technology is supposed to take PQ to a whole new level. Also, won't the issues with screen door and rainbow finally be put to rest when they put 3 chippers in projection TVs?
          Adz

Comment

• BlazeMaster
            • May 2004

both Lcos and DLP have screen door. Plasmas are the only digital display that impress me every time I see one. And prices on them are falling, if your viewing distance allows for something smaller, try a 42 in Panasonic ED/HD plasma, some of the best blacks out there for a digital display and should run you around $2000-$3000 if you know where to look. By the time they start making 3 chip DLPs, the prices of plamas should be very comparable to a 3-chip DLP, and I'd take the slim panel over a boxed TV any day.

Comment

• mez
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by jfelty
              He also said that the white light from the reflection wheel causes many people headaches if watching for extended period of times.

I can back that up. I bought a DLP 3 weeks ago and started seeing the rainbow effect on day 3. It mostly shows up during scenes with a high dark/light contrast while your eyes move across the screen (do a search for DLP rainbow effect). The main thing is that you need the contrast between light and black. Scenes that are light by torches/lamps are good - like the end of Unforgiven or beginning of Costner's Robin Hood are good to watch.

I also DO get headaches from watching sometimes - especially when I see the rainbow effect - after you see it, you start "searching for it". My fiance didn't see it at first, but started seeing it 4 days ago and can now see it with some regularity.

I would spend a LOT of time at the store watching to see if this affects you or not. if not, you're golden bc the picture is killer, if so, don't buy the TV

Comment

• Mojo
                • Jan 2005

Spoke with AV installers..........

Spoke with a reputable AV installer who told me the biggest complaint that he receives from customers who are setting up a Home Theater is that after he hooks up their large screen Samsung DLP's/Sony LCD's that when they go to watch NTSC broadcasts (network TV) thay they are completely disgusted with the network feed that they are receiving. When customers purchase based on viewing at the store they are struck by the awesome quality of the HD signal. However, the network signal they see at home is so piss poor.

His recommendation for $4,000 range is to look at ED (enchanced definition) plasma sets in the 27-32" range. For some reason that I can't really explain is that the ED plasma sets will convert the NTSC signal alot better than those DLP's or LCD's.

TV experts please chime in.....................

Comment

• Adz
                  • Jan 2004

WOW - Mojo !
                  I was about to finish off my thread with what my buddy wound up doing and its eactly that because of what you alluded to above. He went with a 42 inch EDTV Plasma from Samsung for $2,300. I also started a thread about the same time as this one about the issue you state with non-hi def channels viewed on hi-def TV sets.
                  Adz

Comment

• Mojo
                    • Jan 2005

Adz,

Good timing I guess. Now that he has it, how does your friend like the 42" ED plasma from Samsung? Does he had any regrets? Would he buy it again?

Mojo

Comment

• Adz
                      • Jan 2004

He just got it today, so no feedback yet.
                      Here is the link to the thread I was talking about above (I made a mistake - I didn't start it, but it has a lot of good discussion.
                      Adz

Comment

• Kevin P
                        • Aug 2000

Newer DLP sets have faster color wheels with more segments, which make them less rainbow-prone than the earlier model DLP sets.

As for the original poster, I just tweaked a Samsung DLP today and it had an excellent picture. Also, the Hitachi LCD are one of the best looking LCD RPTVs I've seen. I'd audition both and make a decision from there.

DLP and LCOS's "screen door" is a lot less noticeable than LCD; you have to be within 2-3 feet of the screen to notice it. From normal viewing distances you can't see the screen door on DLP or LCOS/DILA.

Comment

• junior77blue
                          • Nov 2004

well, the main networks will be broadcasting in HDTV. I currently have my cable provider with HDTV...and it's great.

Comment

• Snap
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2005

I love the 50 inch dlp from Samsung but the pedistal thing stopped me as well
                            The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• junior77blue
                              • Nov 2004

yeah, i'm guessing the next versions will be pedestal-less.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"