X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 69Stingray
    • Feb 2007

Measurment Setup w/ the MobilePre USB

Hello everyone, my MobilePre USB has arrived and my EMM-6 microphone is on order from Cross-Spectrum, who is having a sale until 15-Jan-2010 by the way.

Time to order cables. I have read 100 or so posts and think I have the proper setup, would some verify?

1.) For sound card calibration, just connect output to input with a mono 1/8" cable.

2.) For measurement, connect microphone to XLR input. Stereo output (with mono 1/8 cable) to AMP, then to speaker.

Am I missing anything?

SPL meter is only needed to set the reference SPL, correct? No need to connect to the MobilePre at all?

(PLEASE SEE THREAD #26 FOR UPDATED SCHEMATIC)

Click image for larger version  Name:	measure.JPG Views:	1032 Size:	30.4 KB ID:	870187

Click image for larger version  Name:	soundcard_cal.JPG Views:	881 Size:	33.4 KB ID:	870188
    Last edited by theSven; 17 July 2023, 21:36 Monday. Reason: Update image location
  • Smokinghot
    • Dec 2008

I just did this the other day when setting up my MobilePre USB with HOLMImpluse SW.

1) You'll want to mimic your testing signal chain exactly when doing your sound card calibration. So if you're using the XLR input, then use it when calibrating. I purchased a XLR to 1/4" mono cable for this purpose. **Warning** If you do use this method, be sure to disbale the phantom power for the XLR jacks.

Depending which SW you're using, and what you find convenient, you may rather use the 1/4" mono jacks for your output connections. This amounts to personal preference I believe. I use the 1/4" connections, mainly because I think it's easier to build cable jigs in a mono configuration, and 1/4" mono to whatever patch cables (such as the XLR to 1/4 I mentioned earlier) are in more abundance at audio stores. YMMV

2) Do not use a mono male cable with the stereo jack on the MobilePre. You'll most likely end up shorting the 2 channels to one another.

Before measurement, be sure that you have applied your sound cards calibration test correction file, and installed the calibration file for your mic, if you have one, and if the SW you're using allows for it.

I'm not setting a SPL reference for my tests. I chose rather to dial in the output of my amp to 2.83volts. Which is kinda the defacto standard for measuring at 1 meter.

Hope I helped

Comment

• 69Stingray
      • Feb 2007

Thanks for the reply SmokingHot.

• Where did you find XLR to 3.5mm cables? I could only find XLR to 1/4 at Parts Express. Just add an 1/4" to 3.5 mm adapter? Using the actual input is very logical.

• Also, I can't seem to find mono 3.5 mm to mono RCA cables at Parts Express, which seems odd. Any suggestions there? I agree, mono would be better over stereo (elimnates a couple failure modes and errors on my part )

• I am getting a moc with a cal. file, so I should be good to go.

What do you think of this amp?

Pyle Pro PCA1 Mini 2x15W Stereo Power Amplifier

Comment

• Smokinghot
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by 69Stingray
        Thanks for the reply SmokingHot.
        No prob... Newbs need help too, and I know what it's like to get dead air. :huh:
        • Where did you find XLR to 3.5mm cables? I could only find XLR to 1/4 at Parts Express. Just add an 1/4" to 3.5 mm adapter? Using the actual input is very logical.
        I didn't. I used XLR to 1/4". I used 1/4" mono throughout my connection process. I didn't buy my cables from the retailer linked, but I thought I'd give you an example, (couldn't find it via PE ). I have a pro music shop near my home, and they had every patch cable / adapter you can come up with. :T
        Microphone and stage Audio cables to include XLR cables 1/4 inch cables XLR to RCA cables microphone cables

• Also, I can't seem to find mono 3.5 mm to mono RCA cables at Parts Express, which seems odd. Any suggestions there? I agree, mono would be better over stereo (elimnates a couple failure modes and errors on my part )
        Example of what I used: ....again, in the 1/4" mono

• I am getting a moc with a cal. file, so I should be good to go.
        Nice... Some might say that you can get away without having one specifically for your mic and/or you can make a homebrew file 8O , but IMHO if you're going through the trouble of constructing a measure rig. You should at the minimum insure you've running a flat line before you hit the test button.
        What do you think of this amp?
        Sorry SR... I decided to educate myself on speakers first before amps. Track me down in another year or so, and I might have the knowledge to give you a useful answer. :lol:

Comment

• Bear
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by PartsExpress
          Power output: 2 x 3 watts (4 ohms @ 1% THD), 2 x 4 watts (4 ohms @ 10% THD)
          Not Good. 1% THD is only 40dB of headroom before you hit the noise floor for the amp (20 * log(THD)). To get to 60dB of headroom, you need an amp that is less than 0.1% THD at the test voltage. Obviously the above amp should have less than 1% THD at 2.83v, but if it was that dramatic of a shift, then I'd be seriously concerned about the amp's design and suitability to the task.

If you are looking for something compact, then this is probably closer to what you want:

Otherwise, I'd look for a good, used stereo or multi-channel amp from someplace like Audiogon. You will want to be careful with Class D amps, though. These use a type of switching power supply that can have audible and measurable artifacts in the upper octave (hence the comment on the NuForce product's website, above, about sensitive speakers and upper octave noise).
          Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• Tyson
            • Mar 2009

I have a stereo 1/8th inch to XLR cable, when I plug the 1/8th inch mini-plug into the "Stereo Output" on the back, and the other end with the XLR jacks into the Left and Right XLR inputs, I get a clipping indicator along with the signal indicator on the front. Am I doing something wrong?

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Tyson
              I have a stereo 1/8th inch to XLR cable, when I plug the 1/8th inch mini-plug into the "Stereo Output" on the back, and the other end with the XLR jacks into the Left and Right XLR inputs, I get a clipping indicator along with the signal indicator on the front. Am I doing something wrong?
              All that's needed for testing is a standard 'mic' cable (female xlr to male xlr), and a 1/4" mono interconnect with an appropriate connector for your power amp on the other end.

Input signal from the mic goes to the XLR input. Output signal from the 1/4" output goes to the power amp

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Tyson
                • Mar 2009

I just want to do the loopback right now, is this the correct connection to do that?

Click image for larger version

Name:	5205.webp
Views:	33
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	945586
                Last edited by theSven; 17 July 2023, 21:38 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Tyson
                  I just want to do the loopback right now, is this the correct connection to do that?
                  No a loopback involves hooking the output from one channel to the input of the other channel. The mic inputs aren't used nor are the stereo jacks

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Tyson
                    • Mar 2009

Ok, that clears it up, thanks!

Comment

• 69Stingray
                      • Feb 2007

Not Good. 1% THD is only 40dB of headroom before you hit the noise floor for the amp (20 * log(THD)). To get to 60dB of headroom, you need an amp that is less than 0.1% THD at the test voltage. Obviously the above amp should have less than 1% THD at 2.83v, but if it was that dramatic of a shift, then I'd be seriously concerned about the amp's design and suitability to the tas
                      Thanks Bear, I was afraid of that actually. I do have an older stereo reciever, I can just use that. I figured if the Pyle would work, it would be a useful $30 (for convinence).

Also, thanks smokinghot, I may have to visit my local Radio Shack :-)

Comment

• Smokinghot
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
                        No a loopback involves hooking the output from one channel to the input of the other channel. The mic inputs aren't used nor are the stereo jacks
                        odd...

I did my loopback using the 1/4" mono output to the XLR mic input. Worked fine and simulated my testing chain prefectly.

Any reasoning for not doing it that way..?

Comment

• Smokinghot
                          • Dec 2008

Also, thanks smokinghot, I may have to visit my local Radio Shack :-)
                          FWIW...

I found that the local independant pro music store's products were of better quality, and less in price than RadioShack, YMMV. I returned the unopend mic XLR cable I bought from RS once I realized that. That 1/4" to RCA adapter was already out of the packaging so I didn't bother returning it. I also got a screaming deal on my mic tripod from that same independant shop. IMO it's worth dealing with shops that take the effort to remember your name.

Glad I could help...

Comment

• gmed
                            • Dec 2006

will this setup work with SoundEasy?
                            Would I still need the Behringer XENYX 802 mixer?

So confusing. Sorry if this has been explained in the past.

I'm a Doctor, what the hell do I know about these things?

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Smokinghot
                              odd...

I did my loopback using the 1/4" mono output to the XLR mic input. Worked fine and simulated my testing chain prefectly.

Any reasoning for not doing it that way..?
                              My statement was addressing the picture showing Tyson's wiring setup.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by gmed
                                will this setup work with SoundEasy?
                                Yes
                                Would I still need the Behringer XENYX 802 mixer?
                                No

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• gmed
                                  • Dec 2006

Thank you Thomas. Which one would you recommend? and why?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Use a M-Audio Mobile Pre.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Smokinghot
                                      • Dec 2008

My statement was addressing the picture showing Tyson's wiring setup.
                                      The mic inputs aren't used nor are the stereo jacks
                                      Ahh... sorry. You meant that the "stereo mic" input isn't used. "Mic inputs" was a generality that would have to include the two XLR connections. I guess I was being too literal with the plural.

Comment

• Tyson
                                        • Mar 2009

Thanks everyone, I got it up and running today, and taking measurements using my calibrated mic (well, a Dayton with a calibration file, which I imported into Holm Impulse). Wow, lots more info and detail than my FFT app on my Iphone was giving me! Found a notch between 1.5khz and 2.5khz that was making the tweeter sound "isolated" and "spitty". Plus it showed a few other things that were interesting, but that's for a different thread....

Comment

• 69Stingray
                                          • Feb 2007

Input signal from the mic goes to the XLR input. Output signal from the 1/4" output goes to the power amp
                                          ) Do not use a mono male cable with the stereo jack on the MobilePre. You'll most likely end up shorting the 2 channels to one another.
                                          Just to clarify, for the output, use a mono 1/4" in one of the 1/4" unbalanced, outputs correct?

Comment

• Smokinghot
                                            • Dec 2008

Just to clarify, for the output, use a mono 1/4" in one of the 1/4" unbalanced, outputs correct?
                                            you edited your post before I could paste in all the quotes saying to use the 1/4" connection points.

IMHO, I believe the 1/4" connections are the best way to utilize the MobilePre's outputs.

Comment

• 69Stingray
                                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Smokinghot
                                              you edited your post before I could paste in all the quotes saying to use the 1/4" connection points.

IMHO, I believe the 1/4" connections are the best way to utilize the MobilePre's outputs.
                                              I was having issues this morning to say the least. My first post was completely not what I wanted to ask. Senior moment at the age of 35.

Comment

• 69Stingray
                                                • Feb 2007

Can I use this cable for output since I will be plugging in my amp's AUX input?

Comment

• Smokinghot
                                                  • Dec 2008

Can I use this cable for output since I will be plugging in my amp's AUX input?
                                                  That's the same connection methodology I'm using. Mono 1/4" to RCA, (however, I'm using a normal RCA cable and the adapter I linked to in my first post). If I didn't already have the RCA cable and the adapter. I'd buy something just like what you linked to.

I would think it's save to assume your amp's AUX input is an female RCA, so you should be good to go. :T

Have fun...!

Comment

• 69Stingray
                                                    • Feb 2007

I have updated my schematics in case someone needs them in the future (I know I would of found them useful).

Name:	MobilePre_USB_soundcal_correct.JPG
Views:	1439
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	854141

Name:	MobilePre_USB_measurment.JPG
Views:	1083
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	854142
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 17 July 2023, 21:40 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• 69Stingray
                                                      • Feb 2007

Made my first measurement using the above setup. I used Room EQ Wizard, I measured my NHT SuperTwo speaker(s). Mic is approx. on-axis at approx. 6 feet. Speaker is approx 4 feet from the side wall and 6 feet from the back wall.

Room Eq Wizard is ungated, so this is the true in-room freq. response (Note: speaker is not in listening position and mic is not at listening location - this was just a trail).

Smoothing is 1/6 octave.

EMM-6 mic calibrated by Cross-Spectrum .

Name:	nht_supertwo.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	854272
                                                      Last edited by theSven; 17 July 2023, 21:41 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• kendomusic
                                                        • Dec 2007

I have updated my schematics in case someone needs them in the future (I know I would of found them useful).
                                                        Stingray,
                                                        The pictures are very useful. Do you have the connection diagram for the Impedance measurement? I tried to use this recommendation from Purebits but was not successful measuring impedance. I use ARTA-Limp

With Sample Champion you'll be able to measure the Impulse Response of a room, or analyze loudspeaker frequency Responses with just a mouse click. Never before it has been so simple to perform measurements using the MLS (Maximum Length Sequence) method.

Comment

• cjd
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Dec 2004

You need to take the left output and feed it both left and right inputs for calibration - without an amp in the chain, you just feed straight through.

For actually measuring impedance you then add a reference resistor (you need to measure this accurately before you use it, the rated value isn't close enough...) into the mix. Lout to Rin direct. Lout to resistor to speaker to Lin (if I recall right).
                                                          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• 69Stingray
                                                            • Feb 2007

Don't think I can be much help. I have not used ARTA-Limp. CJD's setup sounds correct.

I use the Woofer Tester 3 for impedance measurements. It is very easy.

Image not available

Last edited by theSven; 17 July 2023, 21:49 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• cjd
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Dec 2004

I should mention, you DO need extra parts in the chain if you're running with an amp in the mix. I was able to fit the 2 resistors and 2 diodes into 1/4" jacks for my rig (I'm using a FastTrack Pro so different device) but I made the mistake of hard-wiring the reference resistor (which can't be in the mix for calibration!)

Comment

• joe_B
                                                                • Jan 2010

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what does the "DUT" stand for in the schematic?
                                                                Joe

Comment

• cjd
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Dec 2004

Device Under Test

Comment

• kendomusic
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                    You need to take the left output and feed it both left and right inputs for calibration - without an amp in the chain, you just feed straight through.

For actually measuring impedance you then add a reference resistor (you need to measure this accurately before you use it, the rated value isn't close enough...) into the mix. Lout to Rin direct. Lout to resistor to speaker to Lin (if I recall right).
                                                                    cjd,
                                                                    Here 's the jig I use. would you please comment if its correct.

Name:	impedjig.jpg
Views:	1229
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	854376
                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 17 July 2023, 21:41 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• cjd
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2004

Yes, that's right for measuring impedance. Note that it does nothing with the R input signal, takes everything from L.

Get rid of the resistor and wire straight through for calibration.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2002

The Arta/Limp manual recommends using the headphone output if you're not going to use a power amp for impedance measurements. The line out jacks may not be able to supply enough current. For calibration clip both input probes before the resistor and hit the cal button. For measurement the right channel goes before the resistor and the left channel goes after. All the shields of all the wires hook together at the (-) of the driver. He recommends a 100 ohm resistor with the headphone amp, 27 with a power amp. Exact values don't matter as long as you tell Limp what it is. The drawings in the Limp manual are very clear except he just shows the shields going to ground rather than showing how they get there (all hooked together.)

Comment

• kendomusic
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                                                          The Arta/Limp manual recommends using the headphone output if you're not going to use a power amp for impedance measurements. The line out jacks may not be able to supply enough current. For calibration clip both input probes before the resistor and hit the cal button. For measurement the right channel goes before the resistor and the left channel goes after. All the shields of all the wires hook together at the (-) of the driver. He recommends a 100 ohm resistor with the headphone amp, 27 with a power amp. Exact values don't matter as long as you tell Limp what it is. The drawings in the Limp manual are very clear except he just shows the shields going to ground rather than showing how they get there (all hooked together.)
                                                                          Thanks CJD and Dennis. I calibrated as recommended by removing the resistor. I then measured the resistor and registered 988 ohms. It was marked 1K ohm. I applied the accurate value in the measurement setting. I also used the "phone out" instead of the of the "stereo line". Tested a 5 1/4 inch woofer from a Klipsch outdoor speaker and attached is what was measured. Did I get it right hopefully?

Name:	impmeasure.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	854382
                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 17 July 2023, 21:42 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• cjd
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2004
                                                                            • 5568

Can't be sure but it looks like it's about right.

Comment

• 69Stingray
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Feb 2007
                                                                              • 100

#39
                                                                              A good post from another thread (subject: Speaker Workshop & Mobile Pre)

If I remember correctly I have read of a couple users on here using this combination for doing speaker measurements. I have a jig I built for Speaker Workshop--but at the time I was using a jack to connect an external Microphone Preamp. Now that I have a MobilePre--I am wondering if I am able to eliminate the jig for FR
                                                                              Last edited by theSven; 17 July 2023, 21:43 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• norcad
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Jun 2008
                                                                                • 84

#40
                                                                                My experience is that you should use an amp even when you measure impedance. Its pretty tricky to get good results without, and you will never know for sure if they are acurate.

The pictures you see in the post 65Stigray linked to show how to connect when you use "2-channel measurement". This can be used with Arta, REW and Speaker Workshop.
                                                                                But it isnt easy to adjust the input pots on the M-Audio, they arent made for fine adjustments!

Another very important thing is that you MUST remove all unused cables and plugs from the 1/4" line in sockets when you use the mic.

Comment

• kendomusic
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2007
                                                                                  • 25

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by norcad
                                                                                  My experience is that you should use an amp even when you measure impedance. Its pretty tricky to get good results without, and you will never know for sure if they are acurate.

The pictures you see in the post 65Stigray linked to show how to connect when you use "2-channel measurement". This can be used with Arta, REW and Speaker Workshop.
                                                                                  But it isnt easy to adjust the input pots on the M-Audio, they arent made for fine adjustments!

Another very important thing is that you MUST remove all unused cables and plugs from the 1/4" line in sockets when you use the mic.
                                                                                  Norcad,
                                                                                  For the purpose of measuring speakers, I understand that I only need a single channel(left). I assume then that the link 69Stingray provided is not the one I should use as a guide.
                                                                                  There is a slight difference when comparing the pictures provided by 69Stingray and how I calibrate it with Arta. In his picture he connects the 1/4" Phono 1/L port to Chan2 XLR port. In Arta, it sees the Chan1 XLR port as the left channel. Does this make any difference?
                                                                                  Is it also a valid calibration if I just plugged in the 1/4" phono 1/L port to the 1/4" Ch1 inst/line port in the front of the unit? Then use the Chan 1 XLR port to connect the mic for measurement.
                                                                                  I am finding out understanding and setting up a measurement rig is an adventure itself.

Comment

• norcad
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Jun 2008
                                                                                    • 84

#42
                                                                                    If you just want to measure the in room response of the speaker, the one channel measurement are just fine. Try the PNPink noise, it makes the measurement a little easier in the low frequences.

It doesnt matter if you use left out/right in or Right out/left in, just change the Arta setting to make it right.

You can do calibration from 1/4" out to 1/4" in, its no problem.
                                                                                    You really dont have to do any calibration at all, the mobile pre is very good from 20-20000hz, many times more acurate than your mic!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                    Search Result for "|||"