What kind of effect would this dipole mounting have?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

What kind of effect would this dipole mounting have?

Any idea what type of response this type of dipole mounting would have? The woofers would be wired out of phase so they don't cancel each other out. There would also be more bracing to stiffen the frame. I just wanted to make this up quickly.

I apologize for the cheesy pic!

Thanks!

Image not available
    Last edited by theSven; 18 September 2023, 08:44 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image link
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

Nice render- it's clear what you mean.

I don't think that it would be beneficial, honestly. I believe that the radiation pattern would have lobes all over the place; if you added some delay to the rear woofers you might be able to pull off some sort of cardioid response- but really, I don't think it's the way to go.

What about mounting them more like the woofers in the Phoenix? http://linkwitzlab.com/woofer.htm
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• AJINFLA
      • Mar 2005

You would either have a compound dipole or a quadrupole, depending upon polarity wiring.

cheers,

AJ
      Manufacturer

Comment

• Mazeroth
        • Nov 2004

Thanks, AJ! I can't believe I didn't see that on SL's site:

B1 - "Compound dipole" woofer model
        Completely open driver arrangements have been used by Celestion and Legacy Audio. A simple model to describe this case would be given by two drivers mounted on their own small baffles of effective radius d1 and separated by 2d2 from each other.

The model predicts that the SPL at very low frequencies is merely the sum of two dipoles with spacing D = d1. The separation 2d2 between them has no influence on the total output as long as it is small compared to the wavelength of radiation. I see no compounding effect other than summing two dipoles, but the two baffles might as well be placed next to each other. A single driver in an H-frame would have the same output if the distance D between the openings is 2d1. Even order non-linear distortion can be reduced by reversing one of the drivers in the compound configuration so that the two magnets face each other. The whole arrangement does not strike me as a very effective use of a second driver and cabinet space compared to an H or W frame. I have no data how high in frequency the "compound woofer" can be used, but its radiation pat
        tern will become more lobing than that of the two point source woofer.

Comment

• AJINFLA
          • Mar 2005

I discussed the quadrupole arrange w/ SL and he agreed there was really no advantage to it. An example is shown here:

I was reading about different radiation patterns and came across something called a linear quadrupole. Its radiation pattern is like that of a dipole, but with narrower lobes (greater off-axis cancellation). Since this would lead to somewhat lesser excitation of room modes, should people consider this when placing a dipole

I spoke to the designer Clayton Shaw also. Looks like he may have had a change in direction, seeing that the quadrupole is dreadfully inefficient at LF.

Click image for larger version

Name:	040.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	949218

Can't blame him for going with dipoles w/ waveguides, now can I ? :W

cheers,

AJ
          Last edited by theSven; 18 September 2023, 11:14 Monday. Reason: Update image location and url
          Manufacturer

Comment

• Mazeroth
            • Nov 2004

I guess I'll just have to move on to plan B:

Image not available

:B
            Last edited by theSven; 18 September 2023, 11:20 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Mazeroth
              • Nov 2004

This 3D stuff is pretty fun!

Image not available

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! :T
              Last edited by theSven; 18 September 2023, 11:22 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• joecarrow
                • Apr 2005

You're getting somewhere, but I think that the Phoenix woofer configuration will give you a big advantage in force cancellation, preventing the baffle from being shaken by the woofers. On a positive note, your configuration will prevent cavity resonance and allow a somewhat higher crossover point.

On a side note- what program are you using?
                -Joe Carrow

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

Pshh. Straight baffle mounting for dipole is the way to go.

You need wider baffles on the woofer lines. :P
                  diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Mazeroth
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by joecarrow

On a side note- what program are you using?
                    I'm using a copy of 3D Studio Max. My brother used to do graphical work on a PC, professionally, but about five years ago he switched over to the Mac. That was good for me, because I picked up his copy of 3D Studio Max for next to nothing. The newest version (9) goes for $3500 right now! I've only played around with it a few times and haven't even begun to tap its potential, nor will I ever. I just got it to mess around with.

Also, those subs are 12" mounted on a 15.5" wide baffle that's 76" tall. The mains are dual 7" drivers with a 4" (27-28mm) tweeter flange mouted on a 12.5" wide baffle that's 42" tall, if you care
                    Originally posted by cjd
                    Pshh. Straight baffle mounting for dipole is the way to go.

You need wider baffles on the woofer lines.
                    Yep, I agree with you on that. However, I'm not quite sure how to build a line array dipole subwoofer that's sturdy enough without exhibiting too many characteristics of an H-baffle. Any ideas? Also, has anyone else built a line array dipole sub before? I'd love to check one out!

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Open baffle subs require a TON of drivers. When I was remodeling the house and the family room IB was off-line, I whipped up the Arvo Ultra design. With 8-12"s, it still lacked the lowest octave output of 4-12"s mounted in the IB

Click image for larger version

Name:	ArvoUltra1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	949219
                      Last edited by theSven; 18 September 2023, 11:27 Monday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• joecarrow
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Mazeroth
                        Yep, I agree with you on that. However, I'm not quite sure how to build a line array dipole subwoofer that's sturdy enough without exhibiting too many characteristics of an H-baffle. Any ideas? Also, has anyone else built a line array dipole sub before? I'd love to check one out!
                        I'd imagine that if you bolted some unistrut to a plywood face, it would be strong enough.

-Joe Carrow

Comment

• Mazeroth
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
                          Open baffle subs require a TON of drivers. When I was remodeling the house and the family room IB was off-line, I whipped up the Arvo Ultra design. With 8-12"s, it still lacked the lowest octave output of 4-12"s mounted in the IB

Click image for larger version  Name:	ArvoUltra1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.9 KB ID:	949219

Thomas, do you remember the effective path difference you used with that Arvo Ultra setup? I'm wondering if upping the baffle width to 20-22" would do the trick, on a flat baffle with very small "wings" on the side to help stiffen the baffle?

Also, tell me what you guys think of this prototype: :B

Image not available
                          Last edited by theSven; 18 September 2023, 11:27 Monday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• wkhanna
                            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

LOL!! ROTF!!!
                            It’s about time we build a shrine to our Master!

Great work Mazeroth!
                            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"