X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rompower
    • May 2008

SVS PB13-ultra or B&W ASW855?

Hi all

Any comments about both of them? Pros and Cons... own experience, etc =)

Main usage: Movie, and MAYBE for stereo listening if the feeling is good enough (with 802D)

Thanks
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by rompower
    Hi all Any comments about both of them? Pros and Cons... own experience, etc =) Main usage: Movie, and MAYBE for stereo listening if the feeling is good enough (with 802D) Thanks
    JL Audio Fathom F113 will take them both :B
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• whoaru99
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by wettou
      JL Audio Fathom F113 will take them both :B
      Dunno about the B&W, but at least one person who claims to have auditioned many subs has the PB13-Ultra rated higher than the JL F113. And, the bonus, it costs 1/2 as much as the JL.
      There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• rompower
        • May 2008

Yeah whoareu, that's why I am wondering between the PB13-ultra VS ASW855

Comment

• speakerboy
          • Nov 2005

Yeah whoareu, that's why I am wondering between the PB13-ultra VS ASW855
          If you're considering the ASW855, it's $3500 list. The JL Audio F113 is $3600 list (Satin Black). If you can afford B&W, you can afford JL Audio. Or you could consider the JL Audio F112 at $2800 list (Satin Black).

I had the B&W ASW850 and got an F113...it was night and day.

I can't comment on SVS, but it sounds like you want to save money, so perhaps you should consider the SVS.

Also note that SVS subs are ported whereas JL Audio and B&W subs are sealed. Ported or sealed is a personal preference but something you may want to consider. Other factors you may want to consider is enclosure size (do you want compact or ok with big) and amplifier power (B&W=1000W, SVS=750W, JL F113=2500W).

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by speakerboy
            If you're considering the ASW855, it's $3500 list. The JL Audio F113 is $3600 list (Satin Black). If you can afford B&W, you can afford JL Audio. Or you could consider the JL Audio F112 at $2800 list (Satin Black).

I had the B&W ASW850 and got an F113...it was night and day.
            Are you comparing the two without room correction turned on the fathom?If so, you should turn it off and see if there is a difference. I didn't notice much of a difference myself and stuck with b&w for consistency and preference.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• rompower
              • May 2008

What's the difference between "ported" and "sealed" ?

Amplifier power isn't an problem and enclosure size is not an problem too.
              My priority isn't to save money, it's just... not because we pay more that we get more
              I can't find a lot of people on forums that owns the ASW, but a lot do own the SVS pb13-u and the JL f113.

Comment

• William
                • Aug 2006

What's the difference between "ported" and "sealed" ?....
                In general ported is tuned (and limited) to a certain frequency but has a higher volume output.

Comment

• whoaru99
                  • Jul 2004

Don't be swayed too much by amplifier power ratings when comparing sealed and ported speakers.

Small sealed boxes generally need MUCH more power than ported boxed to achieve similar output, and to support the low frequency bass EQ typically necessary for deep bass from small boxes.

The JLs are nice subs, no doubt, but if you don't need the compact size I think I'd lean toward the PB13-Ultra.

If price really isn't that big of a deal, you could get two PB13-Ultras for one JL or B&W. I'd guess the results would be quite ugly for a single JL and B&W in that context.
                  There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• speakerboy
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by whoaru99
                    Don't be swayed too much by amplifier power ratings when comparing sealed and ported speakers.

Small sealed boxes generally need MUCH more power than ported boxed to achieve similar output, and to support the low frequency bass EQ typically necessary for deep bass from small boxes.
                    Yes, good point about power ratings...I forget about that.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

I had the ASW855, big, very nice sub! There was something about it that left me wondering though. For the price and size felt a bit let down. Its probably my room more than anything, however I didnt hear a huge improvement over my ASW800

My next sub I would like.... would be... Gotham.

B&W

Comment

• sikoniko
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

remember, 2 subs are better than 1.

Comment

• beden1
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2006

A friend of mine has three Gothams in his setup. Their output is earth shaking...or, should I say house structure shaking, as they have caused quite a bit of stress damage to his room.

Comment

• crytklmass
                            • Dec 2008

I have a pair of B&W 802d's with the ASW855. It's large and more provides more bass than I need. I talked the sales person down since I purchased my 802's from him and he knocked 25% off. The sub serves its purpose just fine for me.
                            BOB

Comment

• rompower
                              • May 2008

Originally posted by sikoniko
                              remember, 2 subs are better than 1.
                              But can it create some phase issues?

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                • May 2008

I have 2 SVS PB13 Ultras and am thrilled at the bass i now have...it isn't boomy, is very tight and way low when you want it in movies etc, yet still very musical in my opinion...
                                Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• rompower
                                  • May 2008

siko,

one ASW855, or JL113 (if I can find it in canada)?
                                  or 1 svs pb13-ultra (and add another one later some day) ?

Comment

• rompower
                                    • May 2008

forgot
                                    preamp is a ssp-800, front are 802D and center is htm1d.

I just want to make sure the match will be nice, maybe I'll give a try with stereo listening... 802+sub

Comment

• sikoniko
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2003

actually 2 subs solves more problems than it causes.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

siko,

one ASW855, or JL113 (if I can find it in canada)?
                                        or 1 svs pb13-ultra (and add another one later some day) ?
                                        well... since you have the SSP-800, you don't need the EQ on the JL, as you can do that in the SSP.

JL makes great subs. I used to have some in my car. There is no wrong answer. get which ever one you can get the better deal on.

You could also consider getting 2 PV1's. Those are supposed to be great subs. Like I said, 2 are better than 1.

Comment

• beden1
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2006

How does one know if the two subs are out-of-phase? I always wondered about this. My manual basically says to select the different phase settings until you hear the best output. But, is there another test to use?

Comment

• Dmantis
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                            actually 2 subs solves more problems than it causes.
                                            I'm a huge fan of 2 subs. I have fixed so many problems with just adding another sub. I had some stacked, some in the front 2 corners pulled out a bit and tilted into the room , I had one in front , one in back and I always liked it better then one bigger sub.

I'm a fan of B&W subs due to there exteremly high musical abilities. For theater they are smooth and clean. I still prefer them over SVS every day of the week and probably twice on Saturday night(which is movie night most of the time).

Think about 2 B&W subs and I think you will be surprised in the results.

Dan

Comment

• alebonau
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Oct 2005

the eq on the JL is quite limiting. really only enough to fix one issue I understand. It is reasonably user firendly I understand. The SVS come with no eq at all. has anyone seen the pb13 its not exactly small. for waf friendly subs the JL 113 or DD15 I'd say are better options.

the b&w subs have found rather underwhelming for the price and come with very limted controls and no eq or auto setup. eq wise I dont think you can beat the sms system in the velo DD series. they are servo controlled too for a very accurate sound well suited to 2ch and HT. If I ever wanted another sub I'd just get another DD15 !

One thing to keep in mind yeah sure 2 subs will help with room issues, But it can be a hard enough exercise integrating one sub in your system let alone two. any auto or eq assistance I can tell you will be very welcome. subs like the JL or the velo DDs you can daisy chain and make much easier to setup and integrate in your system and room.

If you own an avp with mutiple sub support that will also perhaps be of some assistance to properly setup and integrate in your system for the best result

if you can swing it try get hold of some of these specimens for a weekends playing would give you a pretty good feel how they'll suit your needs.
                                              "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• rompower
                                                • May 2008

Dmantis, did you had the chance to do a A/B comparison?

Comment

• MikeFL52
                                                  • Oct 2007

I have two PB13 Ultras paired with 803Ds and the sound is excellent for music and stagering for movies.

I had a hankering for 2 subs to replace my older velodyne HGS15 and so the financial benefit (almost 2X at the time) of the SVS subs was worth the risk of ordering them without auditioning them. Further SVS respond to questions quickly which I find the more regular name brands do not.

I have piano black and the finish is very good, again much better than the velo which was prone to chipping.

If you do decide to go this way do not under estimate the size and weight of the PB13 Ultras, especially with all the packing (they come on pallets!).

Check out the AVSForum Sub thread for other feedback on them.

Comment

• rompower
                                                    • May 2008

I just borrowed an ASW855 ...
                                                    Well.. I have to admit that it sounds incredibly well with my 802D while listening to stereo music.

Now my concern: Does the SVS PB-13 will be a good match with 802D ? Will the tone be as good as the asw855?!?
                                                    Thanks

Comment

• htsteve
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Sep 2004

rompower,

I'm glad you were able to borrow an ASW855 and that it it very nice. I believe SVS allows you 30 days to demo the sub. You could buy it and demo it. If you like it, return the B&W. If you like the B&W more, simply return the SVS. You would get to do a very good demo and be pretty sure of your decision.

Hope htis helps.

Comment

• rompower
                                                        • May 2008

I'm in canada so i dunno if sonicboomaudio are giving a "30 days or money back" thing

But.. thanks for the tip Steve, I'll query SBM on it

Comment

• rompower
                                                          • May 2008

Great, they give a 45 days money back!

Think I'll order one

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"