X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisg
    • Sep 2004

Windows and doors oh my!

In the planning stages for a dedicated HT room. The existing room has
    2 windows and a sliding glass door along one wall. The wife is not willing to
    consider permanently blocking these off. I want the room to be isolated from
    outside light sources.
    The windows and doors are not exposed to direct sunlight - the area they open to is underneath of my deck.

Will black out blinds do the job? Thick floor-length curtains? Both?
    And any advice for side speaker setup and acoustical treatment for this wall?
    What are the acoustical properties of glass covered by blinds? thick curtains?

Below is a 3d rendering of the planned room showing the space taken up by the windows+door. Please ignore the poor chair models and odd textures - just getting started.

• David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Chris, I went with wood blinds AND floor length lined curtains. The curtains actually helped as they tamed the reflections off the wall (the windows are behind the seating). Blinds or curtains (heavier ones, not shears) will cause you to have fairly minimal acoustic interaction with the glass. You'll get some reflection from the blinds - more or less, depending on their materials. Curtains, at least heavy ones as I found, should act as an absorptive layer.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• CJ Paul
      • Oct 2004

I'll be in the same boat when I move into my new house. Front projection and a large "patio style" sliding glass door plus window. I was recomneded to go to www.justblinds.com. I'm hoping I can find a true "black out" solution as I dont want a washed out picture.

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

WOuld she consider replacing the windows?

Pella makes a window that has a built in shade in between the panes of glass. You can completely shut off the room from light very quickly. Combine that with a darker shade of paint and light won't be an issue. The blinds built into the windows you can open up if you want and then you can close them at any time. Whether these can be automated or not is an unknown to me. If you want a picture of mine let me know.

Discover Pella's energy efficient replacement windows and doors. Photo gallery, product builder, project ideas, expert consultations and more on Pella.com.

Comment

• CJ Paul
          • Oct 2004

Shane, I'm not sure if that is addressed to me or the original poster, but in my case, the sliding glass door is a much bigger concern for me than the window.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

David's suggestion is very good, combine diffusion and absorption.

I'm in a similar situation; I use a roll down shade for diffusion, and thick lined drapes, to block a 55 sq ft picture window immediately adjacent to the right main speaker.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

David's suggestion is very good, combine diffusion and absorption.

I'm in a similar situation; I use a roll down slatted shade for diffusion, and thick lined drapes, to neutralize the effects of a 55 sq ft picture window immediately adjacent to the right main speaker.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"