X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingdaddy
    • Jan 2004

Finished my automated DVD/SACD control center

Really digging my new toy, the 15” Viewsonic Airpanel very nicely displays DVD Lobby, and with a few modifications I now have complete automation of my entire HT system via RS232 (for all DVD controls and movie selection) and IR for all other System macros from a remote blaster (USBUIRT).

All this is much easier now that I can take the wireless monitor anywhere in the house, even the far back patio. Music is also available (SACD, DTS) via the DVD Lobby interface which makes for very nice instant disc selection. This remote panel is well worth the cost and setup IMO, and has greatly increased my freedom and enhanced all the usability of all the control that the 232 interface allows. I now see why those Creston, AMX, and Phast control systems are so attractive to those who have 10K to spend on control, but I only have about 1K invested in my setup, well, that and about 60 hours of work. Glad I got the Sony CX777ES DVD Changer, and look what it has lead me to, now there is no turning back.
    Attached Files
    My Center Channel Project
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Very cool :T :yesnod: This is what my brother does for a living

This might be more appropriate in the HT or Tower of Power areas though...

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Cool stuff Kingdaddy! ;x(

Actually, this would go perfectly in Spaced Out which is our HT construction, customization, automation forum.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Kingdaddy
        • Jan 2004

I wasn’t sure where to put this post, but i thought those with a CX777ES changer might want to know a possible interface solution. One of the neatest things about this is the ability to surf the web from anywhere, very cool, I actually posted this reply on my back patio while watching the start of Monday Night Football

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Ok, moved into Spaced Out.

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

how much does one of those thingys go for ?

How much of a rocket scientist do you have to be to set it up ?
            Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by David Meek
              Cool stuff Kingdaddy! ;x(

Actually, this would go perfectly in Spaced Out which is our HT construction, customization, automation forum.
              I stand corrected

Jason
              Jason

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Bam!
                how much does one of those thingys go for ?

How much of a rocket scientist do you have to be to set it up ?
                You could fly my brother out to set it up for you :lol: That's what he does for a living Ofcourse you'll have to fly me out too for consultation :

Jason
                Jason

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                  • Jan 2004

The Airpanel was $514 shipped, and I needed to add a Linksys wireless router for another $75. As far as setup goes, as usually with all computer components, it's a PIA and requires a few calls to clueless technical support only to figure it out on your own. When all is said and done it works very reliably and is well worth the effort IMO.

Comment

• brucek
                    HTG Expert
                    • Aug 2000

That looks like a great solution you've come up with - very inventive at a reasonable cost.

As a quick solution to this problem I've settled on using SNL with my Pronto - with some help from Andrew :T (since I guess we all agree the 777ES interface is unusable) .

SNL is quick and easy, but not as complete a solution as you've come up with by any means.

Looks good Mike - eventually I think i'll probably go down that road too.

Comment

• Bam!
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                      You could fly my brother out to set it up for you :lol: That's what he does for a living Ofcourse you'll have to fly me out too for consultation :

Jason

What a great idea Jason! :lol:
                      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                        Former Moderator
                        • Jan 2002

Man oh man, this all sounds :drool: yummy, but could any one of you gurus explain exactly how this setup works and what's needed. :huh: Of course I'm willing to pay for this info you know that right? ;lx :T
                        CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                          • Jan 2004

First off you must have the Sony CX777ES DVD changer, only this changer has the fully function RS232 port and 3rd party software support, and then you need software on a master computer like DVD Lobby/Main Lobby and a Viewsonic Airpanel. Some wiring and gumption to add you're DVD/SACD collection into the DVD Lobby Database and about $1500 for all the gear and you're there

Comment

• mcascio
                            • Oct 2004

Guys,

Just stumbled onto this forum. Not that I need to spend more time on forums. But I thought I could shed some light on this topic that may help others down the line to get up and running quicker.

Understanding all the pieces that come together will definitely make it easier. So I mocked up a visual diagram that should help illustrate kingdaddy's setup:

Hopefully this will help you out Uncle Clive.

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Hi Mario, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

Nice diagram - clear and informative. I won't speak for Uncle, but it made things clearer for me.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Mario! Hey, man, good to see you here!
                                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                - Pleasantville

Comment

• mcascio
                                  • Oct 2004

Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I do see some familiar faces here.

Here's another diagram to show how a system could be setup that would display the computers output to a TV. Typically when you do this, you'll need to switch sources via IR on your TV. So a device like the Global Cache can do this. You'll also notice a Streamzap remote control for navigating the UI.

The challenge with all of this is that there are so many different combinations and possibilities. It all comes down to what the viewer would like.

Hopefully these graphics will help provide a jump start.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                    Former Moderator
                                    • Jan 2002

THANKS, thanks a million Mario helps a great deal, Christmas is around the corner.

Thanks!
                                    CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                      • Jan 2004

TV Lobby is cool too, I have all my guide data downloaded on my computer and available at the Airpanel for channel selection. Now I can change channels and operate all my TiVo functions from anywhere in the house with out any repeaters.. I'll try to post some pictures of the TV Lobby layout on my Airpanel if anyone is interested.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Feb 2002

I'm guessing Wireless G is the minimum to make this work or do you need G+?

That is a very cool idea....KingDaddy's setup really doesn't look overly complicated.

KingDaddy I'm assuming your pc has a tuner card right?
                                        Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                          • Jan 2004

No tuner, I'm using the PC to to download the listings from Zap2it.com then a USBUIRT to blast the IR to the Direct TV TiVo receiver. I'm using a linksys wireless G router to talk to the Airpanel, but the Airpanel is B only so the router is overkill.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                            • Jan 2004

Got my TiVo (Direct TV) guide and controls on my wireless tablet, works great, but now that I’m getting my entire CD library ripped to my hard drive and loaded in Music Lobby it has made me wonder why I did not do this a long time ago. The first screen shot is the thumb view, you simply select the thumb and you get a pop up dialog (second screen shot), clicking the + sign add to the play list, the – removes from the list. Once you build your play list you can select random play and it will mix up the selection (very cool). This is by far the best way I have tried yet to make my collection available. The cross-fade and instant play capabilities are a godsend, also there are many tool to shape the sound. The last screen shot shows the valet mode which will give you or your guests a pictorial view of the last disc, current disc and next disc in queue, the neat thing is, the artwork displays a few seconds before the song plays giving you a preview of the up coming song. Very easy to use and very guest friendly, also the music sounds great, as good or better then my ES changer.
                                            Attached Files

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                              • Jan 2004

Here is the TV Lobby screen shot
                                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"