What format do you use for CD Audio on PC's? .Wav? .MP3? .AAC? .WMA?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Britchie
    • Nov 2003

What format do you use for CD Audio on PC's? .Wav? .MP3? .AAC? .WMA?

I am in the process of puting my cd's on a HDD (again...I used MP3 the first time around). Space is not an issue, I have plenty with 200 GB drives under $100 USD.

I recently downloaded itunes and was going to use uncompressed .wav files but it seems Apple is pushing there "loseless compression" with the AAC format. Microsoft is pushing windows media player (.WMA) which is the default on my HP media center PC with XP Media Center (really cool SW!). I like the way Media center finds the artwork/album cover for each CD. It does it automatically, but I think iTunes can do this as well. I just haven't figured it out.

I also downloaded "EAC" (Exact Audio Copy) which claims to be te msot accurate cd to pc tool beacuse of the error checking (performance suffers though with error checking)

I'm just curious...What format to you use and why? My objective is best quality/convienience and I'm not worried about HD space.

Thanks.

Signed...A novice.
    Last edited by Britchie; 20 September 2004, 15:22 Monday. Reason: more info
  • brucek
    HTG Expert
    • Aug 2000

I guess it depends on what your intent is for the music.

If you plan on burning compilation CD's that you want to move around, it should be in a format that most car and home readers recognize like MP3 or WAV.

If you really care about quality you would want WAV, and then you can convert that to other formats later, but it does hog a lot of disk space. If you start with an MP3 at 128K, you're never going to get the full resolution back later.

If you're only going to keep the music trapped in your computer, I kinda like WMA myself. I used to use 'Real' Jukebox MP3 192 VBR format, but have since switched to WMA after I decided that Real was actually the devil.

I don't consider the music in my computer as critical listening, but I sure listen to it a lot.......

Comment

• Steve Goff
      • Feb 2002

I would use lossless compression, such as that provided by Monkey's Audio, Ogg Vorbis, or Microsoft's lossless WMA.
      Steve Goff

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

If you're familiar with the WM interface and like it, just use WMA at a relatively high quality. Like Bruce said if you want them to be "portable" and good quality, use wav files, though as he mentioned they do take up more space (which is pretty cheap).

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• ajpoe
          • Jul 2004

I use Monkey's Audio since its lossless and can be easily converted back to the original wav file. That way I can still create original quality CDs for use in the car, etc. but have some compression while stored on the PC.

ajpoe
          AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"