X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheBottom
    • Sep 2004

External DAC's?

I just took back at Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista DAC.

I was so unimpressed with it, it's amazing. I was using it with a Rotel RCD-1070 transport and I could hear practically no difference at all. I have read all the reviews and sadly that was the reason why I bought it in the first place without a good test first!

SO BAD! The fact that you have to wait 20mins for the valves to heat was also quite frustrating. I noticed the bass was extended (only slightly) when the valves where fully warm.

I'm actually about to test out the Mark Levinson 360s DAC. I want Chalk and Chees difference, like everyone else.

The best DAC I have heard was the Chord DAC! AWESOME!

Anyone actually heard some difference in the Tri-vista? IS it worth it?

I think not! :T
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Just say no to jitter, say yes to the Benchmark DAC1 .......... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• aarsoe
      • May 2004

I havent heard the Trivista dac, but I can tell you one thing for sure - using a 1070 as a transport is not a good idea. My guess is that you have not heard what the DAC is really capable of.

Comment

• TheBottom
        • Sep 2004

Interesting point.

In comparison to other Cd players at that price point the 1070 is very good. But conversely I do agree that the CD player could hold you back. Obviously it is pretty bottom end.

You would think on the other hand that the Tri-Vista would enhance the sound somewhat even if you where using a cheap CD player.

We are always aware of the age old rule of thumb, which is that your system is relative to it's weakest point!!!

Thanks.

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

You could easy be mislead to believe that a cd transport is just a basic thing - but I can tell first hand that they can alter the sound dramatically when you compare them...

To a lesser degree the digital connection does also play in and can be a significant item in getting the sound that you want..

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"