• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Let's talk audiophile

hey duders!

Here's a list of just a few terms that some of us use to describe our systems....

I'd like others to contribute more....and give your 2 cents on the matter...and hey if you want to describe your system with this jargon......go right ahead!

----------------
    How accurately or well does your audio product reproduces music in
    the following categories? Choose a recording that will help you
    evaluate the following elements of Live Music

DYNAMICS -- The dynamic range, impact and weight of the musical event
    DYNAMIC RANGE -- the required range of audible frequencies with the same loudness or output: Perhaps a symphonic selection with wide dynamic and frequency range
    WEIGHT -- The authority and feel of a solid and correct bass foundation to the music: Perhaps an Upright Bass, Kettle Drums, or Organ selection
    IMPACT -- The strong concussive forces of live music, mainly in the bass region: Definitely a Percussion Selection, more drums the better
    PRESENCE -- The quality of the realism and vitality of the music
    ATTACK -- The initiation and buildup of sound when an instrument is bowed, struck or plucked: Violin, Piano, Plucked Guitar, Xylophone, Solo Clarinet
    PACE -- The apparent tempo of the music, tempo is the rate of speed of a musical passage: Select "Tight" bands and Music with varying Tempo, Jazz, Classic Rock
    RHYTHM -- The synchronization of the ensemble playing the music Go Latin, Cuban or Brazilian, Demo Disc Time
    COHERENCE -- The imaging, layering, height and ambiance of the musical event
    HEIGHT -- A stable and properly sized location of the instruments up and down the sound stage: Classical or Choral, Don't forget Gospel
    IMAGING -- A stable and properly sized location of instruments across the width of the sound stage: Ideally a selection that was recorded with a single microphone
    LAYERING -- A stable and properly sized location of the instruments through the sound stage's depth: A good recording with a vocalist centered in front of a symphonic orchestra
    AMBIANCE -- The spatial and reverberent cues of the "hall" where the musical event was recorded: Symphonic, String Quartet, Jazz "Live"
    RESOLUTION -- The low level detail resolution of instrumental sounds and reverberation decay.
    AIR -- The treble sounds delicate, open and unrestricted without any grain or edgeStrings, Triangle, Bells, Flute
    FOCUS -- The musical instruments are clearly defined and you can hear the silence between the musical impulses: Accappella, Scat, String Quartets, Jazz
    ARTICULATION -- How well an audio component resolves the inner harmonic structure of an instrument:Solo Violin, Piano, Female Voice, Eva Cassidy
    VOICING -- The accuracy of the sound and range of the instruments in your perception
    TIMBRE -- The full complex harmonic structure of an instrument's voice: Violin, Woodwind, Piano, Acoustic Guitar, Brass
    TONAL BALANCE -- proper loudness of the instruments upper and lower frequencies: Solo Piano, Organ
    ACCURACY -- The reproduction of the music without adding any coloration or distortion: Acoustic Instruments
    Last edited by David Meek; 16 September 2004, 11:03 Thursday.
    Got a nice rack to show me ?
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Looks like I'm talking to myself here! :

Hello!

I'll try not to bite! :B

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Here's a list of just a few terms that some of us use to describe our systems....

I'd like others to contribute more....and give your 2 cents on the matter...and hey if you want to describe your system with this jargon......go right ahead!

----------------
      How accurately or well does your audio product reproduces music in
      the following categories? Choose a recording that will help you
      evaluate the following elements of Live Music
      I dunno... this seems like a lot of work.. :lol: Maybe an example using your system is in order Steve

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

DYNAMIC RANGE -- the required range of audible frequencies with the same loudness or output: Perhaps a symphonic selection with wide dynamic and frequency range
        Dynamic range is not a subjective term. It is defined as the difference between the loudest and softest passages in a piece of music. IOW; if the softest parts of the music are 72dB, and the loudest are 108dB, the dynamic range is 36dB.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bam!
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2004

Thanks ThomasW....good one!

Any more?

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Why reinvent the wheel?

Stereophile created a glossery of audio terms long ago.

The list starts here

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bam!
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2004

...ah well I thought this thread could be colorful....but it seems as though it is not hooking anyone.....

Comment

• NMyTree
                • May 2004

I like my music ...smooth and airy.......just like my women :B
                Tony

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by NMyTree
                  I like my music ...smooth and airy.......just like my women :B
                  :rofl: :rofl:

Jason
                  Jason

Comment

• Bam!
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                    :rofl: :rofl:

Jason

Jason would get a kick out of that!

So today you are called....barking upmytree!

: :lol: :rofl:

I'll work on it! ops:

Comment

• Khorn
                      • Sep 2004

IMHO when refering to or describing the attributes of audio, audio components, sources or whole system the most important term would be 'Musicality". I know, maybe its not a real word but I think it conveys the sum total of what the thing under discussion accomplishes in an Audio/musical enjoyment sense.

"Musicality" to me means the ability to convey sound in an enjoyable, realistic and most importantly "emotionally involving" manner without distractions such as "listener fatigue". Music should be presented as a "whole picture" not one of highlighted individual distracting parts.

A good system is "synergistic" in nature with all parts working together provides a truly rewarding experience.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"