X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hamtor
    • Sep 2004

A51 110v - 230v

I am thinking of buying a parasound a51 us model, but before I can use it in my home, I must change the operating voltage from 110 v to 230 v. In the owners manuel, it says : " Changing the A51`s operating voltage involves rewiring internal connections for both its main power transformer, and standby power transformer, plus changing fuse values".

Is this a big operation? can anybody help me with a discription ( schematic )or guideline on how to do this?

Thanks
  • nicholtl
    • Aug 2003

You're definitely going to want to call Parasound Tech Support for a question like this.

Office:
    Parasound Products, Inc.
    950 Battery St.
    Second Floor
    San Francisco, CA 94111
    (415) 397-7100
    (415) 397-0144 (Fax)

Comment

• Rags
      • Aug 2003

Just ask your supplying dealer to order a 230v machine - Parasound either supply him with one direct or wire him instructions to modify it - it mainly involves a fuse being changed. Simple as that and I understand it takes 5 minutes to do.

The C2 for others who may be interested is multivoltage out of the box.

Comment

• hamtor
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by nicholtl
        You're definitely going to want to call Parasound Tech Support for a question like this.

Office:
        Parasound Products, Inc.
        950 Battery St.
        Second Floor
        San Francisco, CA 94111
        (415) 397-7100
        (415) 397-0144 (Fax)
        I can not call them, I don`t speak english very well, but do they have a e-mail adress?
        Last edited by hamtor; 23 November 2004, 11:33 Tuesday.

Comment

• hamtor
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Rags
          Just ask your supplying dealer to order a 230v machine - Parasound either supply him with one direct or wire him instructions to modify it - it mainly involves a fuse being changed. Simple as that and I understand it takes 5 minutes to do.
          It is a US demo unit, and they can not help me with the change of operating voltage, I have asked.

Comment

• nicholtl
            • Aug 2003

Sent you a PM.

Comment

• HAL9000
              • Nov 2004

115 > 230 v

Hi,

Has this come to a conclusion yet? I' have recieved an Parasound Halo A51 from the states. Since i live in Europe i have to reconfigure the powerboard. Until now i could not figure out the configuration for 230 V.

I found a in inside picture of the A51 (showing the powerboard) which explains 99 % of were everything has to go, but i'am still in the dark about one specifik black wire which is unclear in the picture. Want to be really shure before i hook this thing to the Mains. 8O

Any help is appreciated.

Bye,

Hal

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Uh... wow... I'd be very hesitant to rewire something like that, especially if you're finding extra wires.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by hamtor
                  I can not call them, I don`t speak english very well, but do they have a e-mail address?
                  Don't bother e-mailing their technical support. I've tried that. No answer.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by HAL9000
                    iI found a in inside picture of the A51 (showing the powerboard) which explains 99 % of were everything has to go, but i'am still in the dark about one specifik black wire which is unclear in the picture. Want to be really shure before i hook this thing to the Mains.
                    If you don't know the purpose of every wire, DON'T DO ANYTHING !!!

If you can't phone Parasound, then send them a FAX asking for instructions. You should include the S/N of your A51 in your request in order to show that you actually own an A51. Of course, they still might not be willing to send the info to you since you're not a dealer. (My experience is that if a company doesn't have an importer in the country where you're located, they are usually happy to send info directly to you, the end user. If there is an official importer/distributor, the request usually has to go through them).

BTW, your dealer in the US should be able to get you the instructions...

Peter

Comment

• HAL9000
                      • Nov 2004

Thank you for all your good advice.

Unfortunally my US dealer, www.audioadvisor.com is not helping me with this, the direct me to the www.parasound.com site for information. The strange thing is that they send this type of equipment overseas, but are not allowed to share this kind of information.

In my humble opinion, for an authorized Parasound dealer, this is no way of doing business.

I seem to be stuck here.

Comment

• nicholtl
                        • Aug 2003

Strange, audioadvisor is an extremely reputable business with some excellent customer service reps. Whatever the case, listen to Peter's advice, and try sending Parasound a fax.

Also, you said that you were hesitant about calling Parasound tech support because you don't speak english very well. Judging from the way you're expressing yourself here on the forum, I'd say your mastery of english is excellent, and there's no harm trying. They are very nice, informative, and patient people, and have no qualm about taking time out to explain how their stuff works to their valued and loyal customers.

You'd might as well call. You got nothing to lose, right?

Comment

• hamtor
                          • Sep 2004

It is me who does not speak english very well 8) , I wanted to purchase from audioadvisor.com as well, but I e-mailed them and asked if they could do the conversion from 110v to 230v. After a week they answered that it was not possible. I posted this thread and I came in contact with a dealer who could do the conversion for me, and offered (for me) a superdeal. Thanks Brent. :T

Comment

• HAL9000
                            • Nov 2004

Hi,

It is I, who knows how to express... 8) Impossible ? It is possible, to reconfigure the A51 for the correct voltage, 115V or 230V. It is even mentioned in the manual. Furthermore the power inlet on the back shows both type of power AC115 V, AC230 V

The only thing you have to do is reconnect some main transformer wires on the powerboard, which is layed out for both voltages. You also have to exchange the main fuse for a different value, the required value can be found next to the fuse holder on the back.

I'am pretty shure i cracked it already, It is basicaly two wires that need to move, the yellow and white wire and a jumper next to the standby transformer. However i have not pluged in the A51 yet.

I'am still looking for somebody who can confirm my handywork , maybe you ? .

Bye,

Hal

Comment

• HAL9000
                              • Nov 2004

Hi,

I recieved my confirmation from the parasound service desk, here it is;

A51 Conversion Instructions 120V - 230V

All wiring instructions to be performed on standby board B4052

Move JP002 to JP001
                              Move White lead from P4 & Yellow lead from P1 to P2/P5(230V terminals)
                              Change line fuse on rear panel from 15A Slow blow to 8 A Slow blow

It is good to know is was right in my assumption. 8)

Bye,

Hal

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

Hal,

Thanks for sharing the info with us. :T

So, what about that BLACK wire that you were unsure about in your initial post?

Peter

Comment

• HAL9000
                                  • Nov 2004

Peter,

Initially i moved The black wire to the wrong spot, the black wires stay actualy both at the same location. It was good thing that i did not switch the A51 on to prove myself wrong. :E

Later i found an other inside picture of the A51 on the web, which clearly showed the actual location of the black wires.

I'am happy now.

Comment

• thunderstorm77
                                    • Jul 2007

I will be doing the same with an A52. Did you also change the fuse or just the connections to it?

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by thunderstorm77
                                      I will be doing the same with an A52. Did you also change the fuse or just the connections to it?
                                      The fuse needs to be changed:
                                      220=>110 use double value of the original fuse
                                      110=>220 use half the value of the original fuse

As always, REMEMBER to change the jumper for the standby trafo, or you will see smoke and fire!

Peter

Comment

• threetrees
                                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HAL9000
                                        Hi,

I recieved my confirmation from the parasound service desk, here it is;

A51 Conversion Instructions 120V - 230V

All wiring instructions to be performed on standby board B4052

Move JP002 to JP001
                                        Move White lead from P4 & Yellow lead from P1 to P2/P5(230V terminals)
                                        Change line fuse on rear panel from 15A Slow blow to 8 A Slow blow

It is good to know is was right in my assumption. 8)

Bye,

Hal
                                        hello everybody! it is my first time be here!

i just buy the parasound a51,but as quoted ,i need to convert it to 230v
                                        is that the whole method to convert the voltage?
                                        i need your confirm and help h:

thanks

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

Hi, threetrees, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:

I highly recommend that you contact Parasound directly before performing any modification. They are the official source, and can help you prevent making any big mistake with your unit. (so to speak) That's definitely not something you want to mess up.

Other than that, yes, the info guys discuss here is quite accurate, and very helpful! Very beneficial to all our research.
                                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by threetrees
                                            hello everybody! it is my first time be here!

i just buy the parasound a51,but as quoted ,i need to convert it to 230v
                                            is that the whole method to convert the voltage?
                                            i need your confirm and help h:

thanks
                                            Here's the procedure:

A51 Conversion Instructions from 120V to 230V
                                            All wiring changes should be performed on standby board B4052
                                            - Move JP002 to JP001
                                            - Move White lead from P4 & Yellow lead from P1 to P2/P5 (230V terminals)
                                            - Change line fuse on rear panel from 15A Slow Blow to 8A Slow Blow fuse

I would recommend using a multimeter to check the transformer wirings. One A51 that I rewired had the wrong color markings...

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"