• Show
Clear All
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Plinius 8200

hey duders!

Anyone here of this ?

I am thinking of trading in my YBA 3 alpha Pre Amp...and Atoll AM100 amp for this baby....

any comments ?
    Got a nice rack to show me ?
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I've heard of it but unfortunately don't know anything about it. Sorry BAM!
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

Thanks anyways bud.....

I wonder if Sithlord and hos brother would know about this baby ?....It comes from New Zealand from what I see....

Comment

• Spearmint
        • Sep 2004

I don't have personal experience with these amps, but they are held in high regard down under.

Just in case you haven't read it, This is from their reviews page.

PLINIUS 8200 MKII INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER
        'THE GOLDEN EAR AWARDS 2002' By Neil Gader.

The PLINIUS 8150/8200 has been my integrated amplifier reference for nearly four years. Exceptional as it still is, I noted that it recently had begun losing ground, especially compared with the stellar offerings from Rowland Research and Burmester. In direct comparison to these, the venerable 8200 was a bit looser in the bass, a little labored, particularly in the upper octaves. But the new 8200 MkII suggests a rebirth. While it retains the plain exterior, its innards have been beefed up substantially. A larger trans-former and a power supply with a 2000-watt peak output join a variety of ultra-low-distortion mods to a circuit derived from PLINIUSĀ¹ new SA-102 amplifier. The preamp and phono stages are also new designs, with user switchable (finally!) gain-setting jumpers for moving-magnet and moving-coil cartridges. And the excitement I loved has returned. Fans of the original neednĀ¹t worry; robust dynamics, rich harmonics, and soaring frequency extension remain definitive PLINIUS hallmarks. But the Mk 2 enters a level of refinement, particularly in the treble octaves, that puts it back in the running for best of the best in integrated amplification. The harmonic structure is purer, even warmer, yet more fully realized. The old version had a very subtle discontinuity between middle octaves and treble octaves - not unlike a perceived shift of character between transducers in multi-way loudspeakers. This has been eliminated. The Mk 2 speaks with a single voice. Images are more focused, cleaner and sharper yet without the slightly bleached edge that sometimes crept into the attic of its predecessor. Listening to a great solo piano recording will tell the entire dynamic story: more punch during fortissimos and more cushiony felt from the hammers during pianissimos. And did I mention that PLINIUS has held the line on the price.
        Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• Bam!
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2004

Thanks for that Spearmint!

It's well appreciated!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"