X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrWizerd
    • Sep 2004

Speakers

Hello all, I am looking into buying speakers. I have a yamaha rx-v1400 for my home theater. I am looking for clean fast responsive sound, that is at least a little above the 20k range, and some ok to descent lows.

I have settled on the sunfire True Subwoofer EQ Signature for my sub. I have looked at the Monitor speaker line, and the mid/high end silver series sounds great, and the center channel is nearly indistinguishable from the gold series. The gold series seem to run around 2k. The reason for my delema is that i was thinking of getting a velodyne sub, but it seems that the sunfire is cheaper and a lot better than the velodyne series there 10" only reproduces 18hz and the sunfire is 16hz So i dont need increadible low for my fronts just enough to cross over nicely between the two sets and the sub. I dont know that my reciver has the power to drive some of the ribons like martin logan, or the magnipans wich have a VERY attractive price. My reciver only goes down to 6ohm.

So I am trying to tend more to the higher end equiptment so that I am able to slowly upgrade slowly but the speakers are itragual in this. eventually I want to switch out to seperate preamp amp and what not for higher power when i have the roomsize for it.

Any help you can offer for a great speaker set from 1500-2000 that will work with what i have, or will the monitor's i am looking at do the gob well?
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Mr Wizard,

This would depend on your personal test.

However, I have the following generic speaker recommendations, which may fit your price range (not in any specific order):

1) Mirage
    2) Energy
    3) Def Techs
    4) B&W's
    5) Martin Logans

I sure other members will provide further input.

Just my quick thoughts,

Azeke

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

A lesser known brand that you should look at is http://www.phasetech.com

Take a peek at their Velocity series. I bought a 7 channel setup for $1800 with tax. A 5.1 setup would run you around $1400. VERY highly recommended.

RE Martin Logans: You will have to go used probably. The cheapest new ML runs $2k and they are REALLY power hungry.

Comment

• theMaximus
        • Jul 2004

One thing to keep in mind is that Martin Logans are generally very tricky to set up. Electrostatic speakers can do wonders but placement has to be just right. If you have a lot of constraints (weird shaped room, a lot of furniture, etc...) in your listening room, you may have trouble setting it up.

You may also want to consider KEF Q7 speakers. They are in your price range and very very nice speakers.

Whatever you decide to buy, just stay clear of Bose. :T
        Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

What are your listening tendencies (music vs. HT)?
          jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by theMaximus
            Whatever you decide to buy, just stay clear of Bose. :T
            Heh, yeah. And newer KLHs too. They're so bad, they'll make you go :thud:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Britchie
              • Nov 2003

I just went through an extended audition and chose B&W 804's. The 604's are very nice too and were close in sound but half the price. Second place however went to Paradigm 100v3 which can be had for around 2000 a pair.

Good luck. let us know what you choose.

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Azeke
                Mr Wizard,

This would depend on your personal test.

However, I have the following generic speaker recommendations, which may fit your price range (not in any specific order):

1) Mirage
                2) Energy
                3) Def Techs
                4) B&W's
                5) Martin Logans

I sure other members will provide further input.

Just my quick thoughts,

Azeke
                I just want to add Paradigm, PSB, Kef, Vienna Acoustics and Totem to that list

Jason
                Jason

Comment

• Drew_W
                  • Dec 2003

The Yamaha will drive 4ohm speakers without major issue...but it won't do the best job doing it...Yamaha receivers have severe power deficiencies.

The reason Martin Logans are so hard to drive is because their impedance drops down to around 1ohm...many power supplies will crap out when they try to juice out this much current.

If I were you, I'd take some of that budget, and get a used 5-channel amp. A Rotel RMB-1075 won't cost you much more than $700 and will power most any speaker with relative (to your Yamaha) ease. It would also make pretty much any speaker sound better than with the Yamaha...

Comment

• MrWizerd
                    • Sep 2004

Ok, my speaker allowance went up today when i got a phone call at 4:30. I listen to a lot of classical music and opra. I also am a home theater fanatic, though only a new fanatic. I was thinking of getting a 7.1 preamp and start buying martin logans, or something so that later if i choose to go to something that requires more power i can juice them also. I dont know if i can setup the presence fronts (9.1) if i do get a seperate amp for the 7.1 preamp outs.

I have listend to the Engergy, and i have looked into the B&W and Martin Logans so far. Back to the research, i was looking at Thiel they go a minimum of 3ohm, and i know that my unit will do two but i don't know how long it can hang out there. I apreciate the leads, soo..... back to the drawing board, or should i say the reading board, i have dozens of pdf files laying about. A lot of it is mute to because i wont have heard any of them. So i will be buying def, and ... well blind on the projector also. So i am holding on to the recomendation of the wiser peoples of the world THANKS AGAIN!

Comment

• jimmyp58
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

You will certainly enjoy the Defs

Comment

• Bam!
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2004

.....I have to add in....have you listened to Pro Acs......like the Studio 100's let us say ?
                        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by jimmyp58
                          You will certainly enjoy the Defs
                          I think he meant he will be buying without listening or "def" :lol: (Which BTW I don't recommend if at all possible you should always listen/view/try out gear before buying.)

Jason
                          Jason

Comment

• jimmyp58
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2003

Thanks for clarifying that Jason; my bad!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                              • Sep 2001

I listen to a lot of classical music and opra. I also am a home theater fanatic, though only a new fanatic. I was thinking of getting a 7.1 preamp and start buying martin logans, or something so that later if i choose to go to something that requires more power i can juice them also.
                              Since you listen to a lot of classical music and opera, and seem to have been favorably impressed with Martin Logans, then you should give serious consideration to the Magnepan line, which you mentioned in your initial post. www.magnepann.com They are imminently musical, with superb soundstage and imaging. Their cohesiveness from top to bottom of the frequency range is exquisite. While they certainly work well with massive amounts of power, it is amazing how well they respond to more modest levels of clean power (giving the opportunity to enjoy them with less expensive electronics to get started but knowing there is even more pleasure to be had when you move up the power amp "food chain".)

A few years ago, I started my last upgrade quest with the plan to move up to Martin Logans from Def Tech BP-2000s, which had delighted me for several years -- until I heard a sensational HT demo of the Martin Logan reQuests in a 5.1 setup. (The movie was "Super Speedway".) But along the way, I happened upon the Magnepan 1.6s and then the MG 3.6s. They have a presence and sense of "you are there" listening to music that changed my upgrade plans. For HT, the detail and naturalness with which they render music and sound effects really draw you into the film experience. (Of course, the deepest bass and LFE should be handled by a separate sub.)

The Maggies are at least worth a serious listen.

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

I'll second Burke's recommendation. Magneplanars are one of the few commerically made speakers I've owned over the last 35 years. In fact, now that I think about it, they're the ONLY commerically made speaker I've bought in the last 35 years- everything else has been DIY. They are dipole, ya know, and they're very much worth a close listen. They are a bit of a chameleon; while they do like the power and current capabilities of large solid state amps, they're quite revealing of the mediocre midrange and treble of a lot of average solid state gear. Wouldn't pair them with Adcom, for instance. Aragon would be another matter though- fairly open midrange, and clean enough in the treble. Ayre would be even better....

~Jon
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                Obi-Wan
                                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• NMyTree
                                  • May 2004

Jon, have you ever heard any of the Amps from Odyssey Audio, such as the Stratos Extreme.....or any of their Amps?

Just wondering what your opinion is on their Amps.
                                  Tony

Comment

• spiffnme
                                    • Apr 2003

If you want clean, responsive sound check out these...

Energy Veritas series
                                    B&W 700 series
                                    Thiel
                                    Axiom Audio M60ti or M80ti

Good luck and have fun listening!

Comment

• MrWizerd
                                      • Sep 2004

Thanks for all the replies guys, yeah i did mean deaf, I was watching the Def Comedy Jam at a very breif interval of time when I was typing. Darn you ebonics!

Anyways, One of my major issues is that in order for me to make a high end sound dealer/ht dealer I would have to drive 4 hours wich is a major strain on my back, having had surgury to correct a major fracture of one of my vertebrea. So unfortunatly I am running on the recomendation of those wiser than I.

But i am down to

Mirage
                                      Definitive Technology
                                      Phase Technology
                                      Monitor

and the Magnepan mabee if i can still do a 9.1 set up by purchacing 7.1 amp Unfortunatly i am Very short on space and while the magnepans for front and center would work unfortunatly they would not for the sides backs and front presence.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                        • Sep 2001

Have you seen the information on Magnepan's wall mounted MGMC1 speakers? http://www.magnepan.com/1-800-474-1646/mgmc1.html They are ideal in situations where space is short.

Also, with the dipolar radiation pattern of the front mains (whichever model you might choose, floor standing or wall mounted) and their very lifelike imaging, you may find that the front presence speakers are not needed. However, if you were using a pair of MG 1.6s or MG 3.6s as your mains, a set of the wall mounted speakers could serve in that role (presence speakers).

Also, having had a setup with front presence speakers in the past, I know that the demands on them are very slight compared to the others in the system and you might be able to make do with a small pair of wall mounted box speakers for that function.

For full disclosue, I should add that I am using Magnepans for the front mains and center, and Def Techs for the surrounds (side and rear). The combo works great, but if I were buying all new from scratch, I'd go all Maggie. I just happened to have a pair of the BP-2000s and BP-20s on hand from a previous setup when I bought my MG 3.6s and MGCC1. :>)

Good luck and good listening!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"