Clean Power Level 3 vs 5 What is a good joule rating?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Britchie
    • Nov 2003

Clean Power Level 3 vs 5 What is a good joule rating?

Hello,

I have a MONSTER POWER HTS 3600 which filters power at level 3 with a 2960 joule. My dealer recently suggested I upgrade to a Level 5 filter. The device he has is 3145 Joule. Anyone care to comment on how noticable this would be? Would the sound improve dramatically?

What is a Joule, what does it measure, and how high should a power filter be rated to be considered really good?

Thanks,

Brad
  • Drew_W
    • Dec 2003

So he has you going for the 7000 series now? You're talking about $1200 for the HTS7000 versus $500 for what you already have...that's quite a jump...I don't think the HTS will improve your system *THAT* much more. The same $700 buys you a Musical Fidelity A3.24 DAC (Stereophile Class A) or a Rotel RB-1080 used...I mean, there's lots of other stuff you can put that money towards...and I say this without knowing what the components are.

The thing with these Monster Power bars is that as you go up, you get MORE filters, and there comes a time when (not unlike the situation you're in now), if you really need to do more with your power, you should probably have an electrician come in and wire you some dedicated circuits for your audio components right from your electrical panel.

I have a 3600 as well. If I ever upgrade, it'll be only to the 5100 Signature Series so that I can have blue lights instead of red, to match the rest of my rack (what a stupid reason, I know).

And by the way, dealer discount for Monster product is 60%. Markup is around the same, pehaps just a little less. With that in mind, are you surprised he's pushing you to get a $1200 power bar? :twisted:

Comment

• Drew_W
      • Dec 2003

Oh joules are a measure of surge surpression, by the way, and have nothing to do with power filtration.

Comment

• Adz
        • Jan 2004

It also matters what kind of amps you have or may upgrade to one day. I purchased the HTPS7000 and then upgraded my amps to Bryston and CineNova. Both Bryston and CineNova very strongly recommend that their amps be connected directly to the outlet and not run through a power conditioner (regardless of the conditioner cost). So, I wasted my money there. I agree with Drew in that the money is much more better spent on dedicated 15 or 20 amp circuits. I am BIG proponent of doing this and to my ears its definitely made the most noticeable difference compared to other upgrades to my components (such as power cords, interconnects, speaker cable, etc.). By the way, I did get a 20% discount on the 7000.
        Adz

Comment

• brendon
          • Aug 2004

Is requirement for powerconditioning a North American thing?

Hi I am intrigued by the use of power conditioners as I mostly see them mentioned by people in North America and I have seen little if any mention in Australian magazines or retailers, even ones that sell all sorts of hi end audio gimmicks.Is it because Australia mains voltage is 240volt 50hz rather 115v _hz or are we just slow to catch on?
          Brendon

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"