X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vasia
    • May 2004

963sa owners: please help with sub set up

Hi,
    I've decided to give Philips 963sa a try given its great price at B&H Photo (239-). I've just got it in and I basically cannot seem to be able to set up the sub properly for SACD playback. Every time I set my main speakers to large, it automatically switches sub off in Advanced Bass Managment menu. The only way to keep mains large and sub on is if ALL speakers are set to large, which makes not sense at all to me. Also, if I have mains at large and center at large it would allow to keep sub on, but as soon as I switch center to SMALL, this thing turns off the sub, which again defies logic. Anyways, I have Monitor Audio S8 for the main speakers and I would like to set them to large and all other speakers to small and sub to on. Is it possible with 963sa or is something wrong with my unit or its the feature of this Advances Bass Managment setup (which in that case in totally ridiculous).
  • vasia
    • May 2004

Ok, let me ask it another way. Does 963sa SACD bass managment allow to set front speakers to large with the rest to small and sub to on? So the bass from the center and surrounds will be re-directed to the sub along with LFE. Right now I can only get the sub to be on if it just receives LFE (all speakers are large) or if all speakers are set to small, including main speakers. There are some other options, but the bottom line is that as soon as I set main speakers to large, the sub is turned off in the menu.
    Last edited by vasia; 22 August 2004, 07:40 Sunday. Reason: spelling

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Vasia, unfortunately bass management for SACD and DVD-A is not well done in all receivers/pre-pros - if at all - yet. I'm not familiar with the 963 so can't really help there. However, it won't hurt your system to run all the speakers set to large. There may be a noticable lowering of the overall sound quality as the receiver works harder to push a full-range signal to each of the speakers as opposed to pushing only a signal above 80 hz (or whatever the x-over is set to). But again, there may not. Experiment with it and see if it's livable.

Maybe one of the 963 owner's will jump in here. . . .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• vasia
        • May 2004

David,
        Thanks for your reply! Philips 963sa is supposed to have "advanced bass managment" for SACD, however, the manual is completely confusing to me and I just absolutely cannot figure out how to set it up! I am just trying my first SACD player, so I would very much appreciate if any other owner of 963sa could please let me know how to interpret any of these setting:

1) There is a music and movie mode in bass managment set up. According to the manual, in music mode speaker settings are only applied to 2CH SACD playback and, in movie mode, to all other formats except 2CH SACD, which, I assume, also means multichannel SACD requires player to be set to movie mode for bass managment to work. Is this correct? That's a pretty important issue since apparently only the music mode allows to use sub crossover frequency below 120 Hz. Or the manual is incorrect and in music mode speaker settings apply to both 2CH and multichannel SACD and movie mode is for DD/DTS decoding?

2) If music mode is only for 2CH SACD, why are there setting for center and surround channels under music mode submenu?

3) Repeating my original post, does bass redirection to the sub only works is ALL speakers are set to small or can I somehow re-direct bass only from center and surrounds, but keep main speakers as large?

4) I notice that when I set all speakers (including center and surrounds) to large, the sub output is automatically turned on. Is it only for LFE channel? Also, when I change center to small, under these circumstances, it turns sub OFF. That makes no sense to me whatsoever. Does anyone know why it does this?

If these questions make no sense for whatever reason, can somebody, please, tell me what bass management settings they use for their 2Ch and multichannel SACD set up (music or movies mode, small/large speakers) or what would you recommend me to use? I have Philips connected through analog 6.1 outputs to 7.1 inputs of Marantz receiver. I have Monitor Audio S8 speakers for the mains with SLCR center and (not yet, but coming soon) Sfx surrounds. In addition, I have Hsu STF2 sub.

Again, this is my first SACD player, so I really do not have any experience with bass managment and manual for 963sa is pretty much comletely useless.
        Thank you!

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"