X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vasia
    • May 2004

Please help me choose a budget CD/SACD player

I am looking for a budget CD/SACD player. MY priorities are redbook CDs and then SACD (I only have one disk right now). Looking at the audiogon, etc., it seems like there is a bunch of options on used/older models. My budget is 250-300. Please help me choose between, maybe:
    1) Pioneer DV-45a (I already have DVD/DVD-Audio, but I heard some great reviews about 45a)
    2) Phllips 963sa
    3) Sony 222ES
    4) maybe new Sony SCDCE595 plus un-modded ART D/IO
    5) CI VDA-1 DAC (I'd rather get a DAC than a stand alone CD player)
    what else is good in this price range?
    I compiled this list based on the reviews I found for items in this price range. Also, if external DAC, like VDA-1, would provide a greatly superior redbook than any of the other options, I might just not get SACD. Again, first priority is CD playback, then SACD. Finally, I really want to finish my system now, rather than save up and do it later.
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

What is your 'budget?

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• vasia
      • May 2004

About 300$.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

One word. Denon

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• vasia
          • May 2004

How about another word? You mean 2200? I heard its pretty bad for CD playback.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Well first of all there was reviews that pegged the 2200 better than the 2900 for audio playback. Also Denon has new players coming out in the next month.

Also no offense but with a $300 budget you're not going to get a player that does everything including top flight CD playback.

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• aarsoe
              • May 2004

Vasia

Think this will be somewhat above your budget, but I still feel it should be mentioned since you put the Philips 963SA on the list.
              Philips have just announced the follow-on of the 963 - the DVP 900SA. You can find more details on the web, but it is essentially a better version of the 963. The cd sound that have been higly praised is identicall, as it uses the same audio circuit. However the video section have been much improved with the latest version of the Faraudia (cant spell the name..) DCDi chip. It also have a better cabinet and also DVI/HDVI output.
              And according to the rumors its basically the same price as the 963.
              Delivery in Europe is late August/early September - depending on the contry.

I tried the 963, great product, but lausy layout of the remote and the distance it worked - all thats been changed. So I have one on order already...

Comment

• jimmyp58
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

I had the Denon DVD-2900 and I thought it did a really nice job for CDs. I have no working knowledge of the 2200 but if the reviews are accurate, then I would think it would sound even better than the 2900 for audio. But I agree with AUD19, for $300 you might get a date but your probably not going to get one with Cindy Crawford.
                jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

I say get the best video you can and save for a Benchmark DAC1

Jason
                  Jason

Comment

• vasia
                    • May 2004

Thanks for the replies! I am really not looking for the outstanding playback. I am looking to get strictly a CD and maybe SACD source for 300. I already have a capable DVD/DVD-Audio with DCDi chip, so I am trying to figure out which piece of equipment will provide optimal results WITHIN my budget. Denon's would be a great pickups, but I feel like I'll be paying for pretty much some of the same capabilities, I already have. On the other hand, reading glowing reviews about some of the other items on my list, like 963SA or VDA-1 or new Sony CD/SACD and ART DIO, I thought I would be paying primarily for what I am currently lacking (upgraded CD plus SACD).
                    Aud19:
                    The only new Denon in my price range is 1910 and it does not seem to have have SACD?
                    Aarsoe: In that case 963sa should be a good choice for me. How do you like its CD/SACD?
                    I would really want to just get what I can right now, rather than save for later. I am sure Benchmark DAC would be a great choice, though.

Comment

• aarsoe
                      • May 2004

Vasia

The cd playback is good - if you set it to do max upsampling and switch the video off.
                      But, when I say good, then thats compared to the low price of the unit. Its not high end - but IMHO propably the best you will get for the money, but I could be wrong...
                      I'd still recommend that you see what the price of the 900 will be at your location. They say it sounds better, due to the much improved casing..
                      That is unless you can get a good deal on a 963..

In regards to SACD playback, I cant really help you. It have been the only SACD player I have had at home so far, so not much to compare with..

Best of luck..

Comment

• theMaximus
                        • Jul 2004

Since you said you already have a DVD-Audio player, you may want to make sure your preamp/receiver has more than one multi-channel input (unless you are willing to keep unplugging and plugging six RCA cables back and forth). I'm sure you are already aware of it though.

I do agree with other members about Denon 2200. You may be able to find one used for around $300 on Ebay or Audiogon, especially when new Denons start shipping out. I'm sure a lot of audiophiles will have the urge to upgrade from their current 2200.
                        Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

That was actually my point about the older Denons, sorry should have been clearer. You should be able to get decent discounts on stores clearing out old stock or pick up a used unit relatively cheaply. Heck you might even be able to get a 2900 for close to your budget if you can stretch a bit and find a good deal. Also, why not just sell your existing player and get something that's good for both audio and video?

Jason
                          Jason

Comment

• vasia
                            • May 2004

The reason is pretty simple and usual. I was gonna get HD setup and got a very nice high end DVD player (Kenwood DV-5700), which has all the bells and whistles and also DVD-Audio, DCDi, etc. It has excellent reviews both for audio and video. I would have bought Denon-2200, but could not find the one priced in the same range. I am perfectly happy with it, but a month later I got some extra cash and that's why I am looking to improve CD and SACD. I could sell Kenwood and get Denon plus and outboard DAC, which would really be a great system, but selling Kenwood anywhere near what I want would be tough (its not a very popular model) and plainly too much hassle for now. I've been building my HT system for the last 3 months non-stop and by now the whole process of buying and selling stuff is just totally sickening to me. Thus, I was primarily looking to spend whatever I had on hand ASAP to get an improved CD/SACD and get it over with. Just little realities of life. Not to mention that Silver SFX speakers, I have on order to finish my system, are on back order for another 3-4 weeks and I have been waiting for more than a month already.

Comment

• Paul H
                              • Feb 2004

Food for thought ..

I have regretted purchases, but I have never once regretted waiting a while to get exactly what I wanted. I have never been sorry that I spent a little more to get higher quality.

Wait, spend more later ..

Paul

Comment

• NMyTree
                                • May 2004

What Paul said!

Also, and if I may make another suggestion.

Try to audition any component or speaker you may be interested in. Buy what sounds good to your ears (audio) , and what looks good to your eyes (video).

What others consider to be "the best" or "high end" , may not necessarily be what pleases your ears, your eyes.....or your budget.

I know that my personal tastes or preferences, are not shared by everyone. Speakers like Quad 22L or Wharfedale Opus 2 are not really considered "the best" or "high end" , but they sound real nice to my ears.

I've had a few people turn their noses up, or frown on the mere thought of the Wharfedale Opus 2 or Quad 22L. But I love those speakers. They sound fantastic to me.
                                Tony

Comment

• vasia
                                  • May 2004

Yeah, I know. I've developed a little bit of a "trigger finger" disease lately, that's why stopping and just enjoying the music is my first priority.

Comment

• Miker
                                    • Aug 2004

Philips SACD

I have the Philips 763...very similar to the unit you mentioned. I use it exclusively for SACD so I cannot speak to CD play et al. What I can tell you is that bass management is a BIG issue with SACD units. Seems that most pre amps and receivers see the direct 6 or 8 channel input as full range...there are no speaker size settings on the units I've looked at. The only saving grace is that the Philips unit DOES incorporate a bass management system which allows speaker size selection as well as sub level (or no sub if reqd) This helps alot...Also, Outlaw Audio has the ICBM 1 which can handle 5 channel in and allows extended management of bass in such SACD systems!!! Check it out before you buy.
                                    Mike R
                                    Mike R

Klipsch for Life!!

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

Sorry that's kind of my point with the sell the old player comments etc. You're kind of going half way with the two player route. If it was me I'd either hang on to what I have for now and save up for a universal that will play HD or Bluray discs in a year or two that has both good audio and video or bite the bullet and sell the player I have now to get one that's universal and has good audio and video as well.

My $.02

Jason
                                      Jason

Comment

• Miker
                                        • Aug 2004

What you said Jason....I got too excited and too impatient with the SACD prospect...now I'm adding stuff to make the unit I bought too early work at least half way decently!!!
                                        Mike R
                                        Mike R

Klipsch for Life!!

Comment

• Tarbaby
                                          • Feb 2004

A couple of players that you definately need to checkout and could be had for $300 on the net.

-NAD 541i
                                          -Music Hall CD-25

No SACD on both, but superb redbook. Both uses Burr-Brown DAC's and high quality parts. NAD 541i is considered the best at this price by many.
                                          Just more ideas for you to look at, good luck!

Comment

• Phil Rose
                                            • Aug 2000

You might want to take a look at the new Sony SCD-C2000ES 5-disk CD/SACD changer which is just released. I noticed on the Sony Style Canada site that it has tri-power output dacs like the more expensive players in the line. Here is a link to a thread on Audio Asylum that discusses the new Sony.

A site for technical information and purchase http://www.onecall.com/PID_25152.htm and another site that lists it for $249.
                                            http://shop.store.yahoo.com/expressa...cdc2000es.html I've always used www.oade.com for purchasing my Sony gear. They are very good and competive on price.

Comment

• purplepeople
                                              • Aug 2004

Really? $249 for an ES-class CDP.... that's amazing.

ensen.
                                              Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• vasia
                                                • May 2004

Hi,
                                                After getting a number of good recommendations, I figured that my set up is wrong. So I sold my Kenwood DVD. I still have Philips 963SA, but I can return it during next week if I decide to go different route. So, I am either looking for universal DVD player plus standalone CD unit with a budget of about 600$ or just a universal DVD plus 963SA for CD duties. So, what should I get to optimize my source (I also have Marantz SR8300 receiver and MA Silver 8/Silver HT speakers):
                                                1) Get Denon 2200 and keep 963sa for CD duties
                                                2) Get Denon 2200 and get new Sony CD/SACD (2000SE) for CD (I've heard new SOny player and it is not better that 963SA if it was not was the reliability, on the other hand, I got two year extended warranty for the Philips)
                                                3) Get lower end universal (like Samsung HD-841) and Azur 640C for CD
                                                4) Get Denon 2200 and one of the modded players like Tosh 3950 (I cannot mod myself, so I'll have to get the already modded one).
                                                5) Get Denon 2200 and DAC (which one would be an upgrade over 963SA?)

I am pretty content with 963SA and I would like to keep it, because it is a great unit for future mods and even in the stock form is comparable to any CD player in its price range, e.g. 541i and CD-25 (based on other peoples opinions). On the other hand, I would like to figure out my source set up for couple of years, so if it makes sense to return it, I can do that as well.

Comment

• aud19
                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2003

I vote for number five (5) :yesnod: Just make sure that you can have both the optical and coaxial outouts active so you can connect one to the DAC and the other to your processor for DD/DTS

Jason
                                                  Jason

Comment

• vasia
                                                    • May 2004

Aud19,
                                                    Thanks! Which DAC can you get for about 300$ which would provide max bang for the buck: moded ART DIO, MSB Link III, VDA-1 (I would not be able to afford a separate power supply for that).

Comment

• aud19
                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2003

mmmm... $300 could be tight...might have to just keep scanning ebay etc for used ones. Either that or enjoy the 2200 for now and save up for a Benchmark DAC1 :yesnod:

Jason
                                                      Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2003

You may want to try and find a used DAC like the one Andrew wrote about in this post:

Jason
                                                        Jason

Comment

• vasia
                                                          • May 2004

How about MSB Link III. Is it a worthy upgrade?

Comment

• David Meek
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2000

Vasia, if you can stretch about $100 on the DAC, I just saw a Musical Fidelity A3.24 on Audiogon for $400 (the MSRP was originally $1,100)! Of course it's sold now, but all you have to do is be a bit patient and another will show up around that price point. The reason for the price being that MF has recently released the next generation. Also, this DAC was basically the "bang-for-the-buck" champ until the Benchmark came along.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                                                            😀
                                                            😂
                                                            🥰
                                                            😘
                                                            🤢
                                                            😎
                                                            😞
                                                            😡
                                                            👍
                                                            👎
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"