X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whmacs
    • Oct 2003

Speaker Selection For Two Channel Setup

Hi All,
    I've started the process of auditioning speakers for a two channel setup. The electronics will be either Rotel RC-1090 / RB-1080 / RCD-1072 or Musical Fidelity A3.2 integrated amp and an X-Ray CD player. I'm having problems trying to select speakers. I live 2 hours north of Sydney and have very limited access to good 2 channel stores. As far as my speaker selection criteria goes, the room is quite large 6m (l) x 5m (w) x 4m (h) so I need a full range speaker. I like a lot of detail so I have auditioned ribbon speakers These speakers have outstanding detail, but lack a bit in the bass as they only have one 7" woofer in a small enclosure. I've also auditioned 'normal' floor standers like the Focal-Jmlabs Electra's 926, which couldn't compete against the details of the Ambience's. I was even disappointed in the bass from the Electra's as while deeper, sounded muddy to me. The sales person said all they needed was carpet spikes to tighten things up but I somehow doubted that. My budget for speakers would be around the US $3000 (up to $5500 Aussie). I've also listened to the B&W 7 series and while the bass was good was disappointed in the detail level. Could anyone provide some suggestions for speakers in the price range that I could audition that meets the above criteria? Or should I stick with the ribbon speakers and just add a subwoofer (Ambience make a matching one). My concern with a sub is that you will lose that tight bass that a good floor stander can produce? I'm just hoping that I can get a list of 5 or 6 brands / models of speakers that I can search out for a listen.

Thanks,
    Stephen
    Last edited by whmacs; 13 August 2004, 05:02 Friday.
    My Home Theatre
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Hi!

First off let me congratulate you on being a 2 channel man!

Lets`start with....have you listened to Pro Acs ?

D25

or studio 100`s ?

These puppies rule. I`m sure other`s will join in here soon.....and give their 2 cents....

But if you can check these babies out...

A sub woofer in 2 channel....well if you could make your whole system active rather than passif......AND have a sub at 24db`s/octave...then yes a sub would be nice!
    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Stephan -

Since you like the detail afforded by ribbon speakers, an outstanding choice (if they are available in Australia) well within your price range would be the Magnepan MG 1.6 speakers (at about $2,200 US). For more information, check out the Magenepan site. (Click on "Speaker Gallery", then "MG 1.6".) They have a clear, cohesive sound down to 40 hz. If you are into organ music that includes the deep bass pedal notes, the Maggies will mate nicely with a subwoofer to get that lowest octave, But for most music, they will perform admirably by themselves.

The Magnepan MG 1.6s will work well in a room the size you have. I have heard them in rooms that size and larger to good effect when driven with adequate clean power. The Musical Fidelity A3.2 integrated amp's transparent, detailed sonic characteristics and its rated output power of 115Wpc into 8 ohms (20.6dBW) and 185Wpc into 4 ohms (19.7dBW) means it should handle the Maggies' consistent 4 ohm load with aplomb. (That's a good thing.) :>) The Rotel combo should work nicely with them, as well.

Hope you can find a Maggie dealer "down under"!

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Burke's suggestion of the 1.6s or (if you can swing the cost) the - OMG - 3.6s is a very worthwhile one to check out. They are marvelous speakers and can make you happy for a long, long time. However, he and I were out "auditioning" one day last year and heard the MF 3.2 driving a pair of Aerial Acoustics 7Bs. It was enough to make me break down and buy the 7Bs. The clarity, detail, and "rightness" of the sound was awesome. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to upgrade my amplification to that standard yet, but I remember what I heard and I want to get there as soon as possible. Also, the build-quality and finish of the Aerials is just flatly superior. If you have access to Aerials check them out, too. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bam!
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2004

...saarry....my bad....didn' t see the big blue highlightes section that is a link to ribbon speakers.....

ops:

Thanks Burke and David!
          Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• whmacs
            • Oct 2003

Hi Guys,
            So far I have found a Paradigm dealer (for the Studio 100v3) in Sydney and a Maggie dealer only 1 hour away! I'm going to take a bit of a drive and have a listen to the Maggies today. I'm having a bit of trouble finding an Aerial dealer here in Oz, but I'll keep looking. I'm sure ProAc's are sold in Oz but I havn't had a chance to track down a dealer yet. Please keep the suggestions coming, I really appreciate it.

thanks,
            Stephen
            My Home Theatre

Comment

• whmacs
              • Oct 2003

Hi Guys,
              Just got back from listening to some Maggie MG1.6's. I was simply stunned by the level of detail and sound field generated by these speakers! The smooth integration between highs and lows was simply outstanding. I even found the bass to my liking! The dealer (Bill Mclean) is also the Australian importer for Maggies and a very nice person to boot. He was very knowledgable and his love of two channel music through the Maggies was obvious. Its been a long time since I've heard some speakers that have truely 'grabbed' me, but today it happen. Thanks for the recommendation guys.

cheers,
              Stephen
              My Home Theatre

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Stephen, can you get a demo of the 3.6s from him? I've auditioned both at our local dealer and the 1.6s are very fine speakers in their own right, but the 3.6s will leave you speechless. Another HTGuide member recently had me over to his home and I got a chance to do some extended listening to the 3.6s. The level of detail, the cohesiveness of the music, the accuracy of the sound, the feeling of "you are there" are all superior IMO. Of course he has some deadly amplification too. . . . :T

Comment

• whmacs
                  • Oct 2003

Hi David,
                  Yes, the dealer also had the 3.6's there as well. Unfortunately these are $10,000 a pair here in Oz and way out of my price range (If I heard them, I am sure I would be trying to sell one of my children to buy them ). I forgot to mention that Bill ( the dealer) was using some serious amplification when he demo'ed the 1.6's to me. It was a pure class a amp from Plinius costing around the $7000 mark. The preamp was from Antique sound labs and he was also using a dedicated DAC hooked up to a Cambridge Audio CD player for the transport. There was also $3000 worth of power filtering equipment involved.
                  I've also showned my wife a picture of the Maggies and she doesn't like the look of them at all (very low WAF, big black and ugly was the term I think she used), so I may have an issue getting approval, purely on a looks basis

cheers,
                  Stephen
                  My Home Theatre

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

10,000? OUCH! 8O

Hey, as far as WAF, don't Maggies come in various wood finishes? I know I've seen the 3s in a beautiful cherry (I think), or it might have been walnut. Also, show her the 3s, then maybe the 1.6s won't look so bad to her. :B

Comment

• mark4x4
                      • Jul 2004

I was impressed with the new Martin Logan speakers. The Aeon 1 list for about $3295 and they also have one at about $2395 (can't recall the model name), but they are both excellent in their price range. They are electrostatic in design but very similar to ribbons in that they are very open, detailed and fast.

Just my 2 cents,
                      mark4x4

Comment

• dave
                        • Aug 2003

My Nod would have to go to the Maggies,,,,
                        You also may want to consider the Vandersteen 3A Signitures at 3500 USD
                        they are a steal
                        Dave...

Comment

• Britchie
                          • Nov 2003

Have any of you guys tried the Maggies MMG model? They are $550 for a pair with a 60day satisfaction guarantee refund policy! Wow!

I'm thinking about orderind a set just to see what ribbons will do at my house. I wonder how they'll stack up against the b&w 804's? I expect the Bass to be less but with a good sub...I don't care that much about base output from my mains.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"