• Show
Clear All
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

anti vibration methods

Hey duders!

I got a buddy that needs some help.....

We hooked up a Rotel 840bx with a Rotel cd player cds 855 on B&W 603's......I must say I was :E Very clean very detailed......pretty good dynamics.....Played much better than on my Epos's....anyways...matter at hand...

He has a cinmea room.....that he built a stage in front.....

So the mains are on the stage with his audio rack and sub and center.....

How can we dampin the rack ?

The thing is the audio rack....sort of kinda has to stay on the stage with the rest......

right now he was thinkin' Spikes with a wooden shelf + Black Diamond Racing cones under the source and Integrated amp....
    Got a nice rack to show me ?
  • Bill Blank
    • Sep 2002

BAM!

You could try fitting spikes to the racks or use this on the components:

Bill

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

My tweak of the day for damping has always been to just cut up an old mouse pad and place pieces under the gear and shelving if need be...it works very well and is very cheap

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Powerful opposing magnets with one frame to hold the outer set and an inner frame/rack with the inner magnets. The inner rack would simply float in the air totally voide of vibration! :B : :B :

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

Bam

It all depends on your buddy's stage and how solid/rigid it is.
          If the stage resonate when in use, then vibration absorbing material could be the best way, if not then spikes could be a better solution.
          I would however recommend thinking about a different solution - using shelves attached to the wall.
          This way you should be attached to more mass, which is less likely to vibrate..
          Of course this depends on the wall - dont do this with plaster walls.. :W

Any chance you could post an image so that we would get a better idea of what the stage looks like?

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by aarsoe
            Bam

It all depends on your buddy's stage and how solid/rigid it is.
            If the stage resonate when in use, then vibration absorbing material could be the best way, if not then spikes could be a better solution.
            I would however recommend thinking about a different solution - using shelves attached to the wall.
            This way you should be attached to more mass, which is less likely to vibrate..
            Of course this depends on the wall - dont do this with plaster walls.. :W

Any chance you could post an image so that we would get a better idea of what the stage looks like?

I am pretty sure I could get him to post a pic!

Thanks Bill....and Andrew!

Jason! Your idea is the best by far! I'll get right on that like Kung on Fu.....like starch on pasta......like a peel on a banana! :lol:

Comment

• snef
              • Sep 2003

Hi everyone

Thanks for your help

i will post a pict tonight

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

ason! Your idea is the best by far! I'll get right on that like Kung on Fu.....like starch on pasta......like a peel on a banana! :lol:
                Hey other than the possibility of the magnets screwing with the electronics I think it's actually a pretty cool idea! :B : Not practical perhaps, but cool :T Floating rack! Very cool! 8)

Jason
                Jason

Comment

• Bam!
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                  Hey other than the possibility of the magnets screwing with the electronics I think it's actually a pretty cool idea! :B : Not practical perhaps, but cool :T Floating rack! Very cool! 8)

Jason
                  Jason you rock man!

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Actually my grandfather is the one with the rock hobby, I'm more in to electronics :B : :rofl:

I think the magnets are messing with my brain! :rofl:

(...and now back to our regularly scheduled programming... :B )

Jason
                    Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Clear Audio Magix Magnetic Isolation Feet

Magnetic Attraction

It has been tried many times in past, with varying degrees of success, yet no one has achieved the ultimate goal. The carrot is magnetic levitation, floating a component in mid air; it’s the holy grail of component isolation.
                      There are a number of hurdles to overcome if one is to reach the hallowed ground. The path is beset with myriad pitfalls, one sure to catch even the wiliest among those who set out on the journey. For example, how to control the obviously strong magnetic field surrounding the very powerful permanent magnets required to suspend any significant weight. Clearly, the presence of such a strong field would make the device virtually unusable in the world of high-end audio, where many products are sensitive to EMI.
                      Further, how to keep the magnets from sliding away from another. You probably remember playing with magnets in elementary school science class experiments; finding that while indeed magnets with opposite poles indeed repel, it’s hard to keep them centered, one over the other. Another tough hurdle.
                      As I said, there have been a number of attempts at making the concept work. I recall the first effort I set eyes on; it was about ten years ago at CES. An industrious fellow had fashioned a platform using opposing magnets on the top and bottom. It worked, fairly well, but was very costly and looked as though it would spew a magnetic field strong enough to rip the buckle off your belt if you came within spitting distance. It never went into production.
                      More recently, the Relaxa platform (from the Italian firm, SAP) came to my attention. This device works well, but does employ a guide pin, which rolls on a bearing, to stabilize the top and bottom parts of the platform. While it does indeed float the top of the platform on a magnetic field, the presence of the guide pin results in at least some mechanical coupling to the bottom of the unit. The Relaxa comes close to, but does fully suspend the component in air. It’s an alluring device nonetheless, teasing us with the potential of the concept.
                      By now I bet you’re guessing that a design is upon us which has managed to fulfill the promise; and you’d be right.

A few months back I learned of an isolation device produced by the German firm, Clearaudio. You’ve likely seen or heard of their superb turntables and phono cartridges. The Company is well known for quality, performance and innovative design, but their engineering abilities must certainly have been tested on this one!
                      The Magix is a unique design that appears to have accomplished what so many others have attempted; suspending a component on nothing but a cushion of air. Two significant breakthroughs here: first is the ability of the Magix to completely isolate the component; there is simply no connection between the top and bottom portion of the device! The second accomplishment is elimination of the magnetic field. The self-shielding design of the Magix eradicates the magnetic field so problematic in other attempts. This was a critical design criterion for Clearaudio, as their primary goal for Magix was turntable isolation. What could be more sensitive to magnetic fields than a phono cartridge?
                      Clearly they’ve succeeded in quashing the magnetic field. At the 2003 CES a total of twelve Magix isolators were used to float the massive Clearaudio Anniversary turntable tracking a sensitive Insider cartridge. That number was required to support the significant weight of the ‘table and base, but you can imagine what would have been the outcome if even a small amount of magnetic flux was leaked by each Magix.
                      With the electromagnetic field issue answered, we come to another important point; weight-bearing capacity. Each Magix isolator supports approximately 12 pounds. Divide the weight of the component to be isolated by twelve to determine the number of Magix required.
                      Clearly, it may be cost prohibitive to float some components, such as large amplifiers or speakers. However, in a very accurate system of higher value, the cost may still be a bargain considering the incredible performance improvement possible with the Magix. Certainly most front-end gear occupies a weight range consistent with practical implementation.
                      Measuring 3.5” (loaded) high and 4.25” in diameter, the Magix may be too high for use on some interior rack shelves where space above the component is limited.
                      Now that we’ve covered all the technical bits, I’ll bet you want to know how these things sound. Would I be too impetuous to say; damn good, go buy some? Though I’m tempted to do just that, I’ll be a bit more tactful and offer some details.
                      There are lots of isolation devices out there, and all of them have benefit. I’ve said for a long time that anything you place under (or on top of) a component will change its resonance characteristics, and therefore its sound. So, with that in mind, there really is no wrong, assuming you like what you hear.
                      Over a period of time we’ve come know each of the various devices for their individual characteristics. Listening to what a person is trying to achieve helps us make a recommendation on which device may best help them achieve their goals. But then comes the Magix. I have found them exceptionally difficult to categorize as they do not seem to add any character of their own, but rather simply let the music flow in a natural unimpeded manner. What would a component sound like that was floating on air? If you can imagine what the absence of vibration might sound like, you’re there.
                      Detail is improved, but not falsely so by a hyped sense of tonal or dynamic exaggeration. Some devices increase apparent detail by accentuating the leading edge of the transient envelope, and that may be ok in some systems, but the Magix are an altogether different kettle of fish.
                      What sets the Magix apart from other devices of their kind is what they don’t do. I think we can all agree that any isolation device imparts some sort of character of its own. That may be increased detail, more speed, a slight softening, added brightness, etc., etc. The Magix strips away those artifacts, leaving behind a sense of purity and air. Background silence is increased, subtle details are allowed to unfold (rather than being forced out) and the music ebbs and flows with a naturalness that is alluring.
                      As you might aver by now, I am strongly attracted to these magnetic feet. I have found them to be something of a revelation among isolation devices and suggest highly that you give them a whirl. Call me and order a few; I bet you too will experience their Magix in your system

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Here's another that would be easy to replicate...note that this design though has some pins on the side to stop the top shelf from sliding away...

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

See now why wouldn't they just throw a few small magnets on the four corners to truly de-couple it?!

Jason
                          Jason

Comment

• aarsoe
                            • May 2004

The idea of magnets are nice - but would they not cancel each other out over time? Also what about weight, how much can they carry?
                            Guess the old trick using a wheel barrow tube half full of air would do the same trick for a much smaller amount.. :W

Comment

• snef
                              • Sep 2003

Here my audio and Cinema room

Cd Player and amplifier are of each side of the center speaker

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

Snef, hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of increasing the gamma on the pic so folks could get a better idea of the space we're dealing with here

Jason
                                Attached Files
                                Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

You may also want to check out this thread Andrew shamelessly started :B

Jason
                                  Jason

Comment

• Bill Blank
                                    • Sep 2002

The link I gave before was for the Rega kit. Here's a link to the individual sheets you can use for any component:

Cheap enought that I ordered two today, one 4"x6" for my DVD player and one 4"x6" for my CD player.

I use Andrew's mouse pad idea under my center speaker and surrounds.

Bill

Comment

• snef
                                      • Sep 2003

no problems aud19 :T

Comment

• NMyTree
                                        • May 2004

What about Cork? Is Cork any good for dampening?

I know it's good for sound-proofing. Seems like it would be good for vibrations too.

I was planning on trying Cork with my new custom component rack, when it is completed and delivered to me.

I also had a thought of putting sheets of 1 inch Cork on each component shelf, with either 1/4" or 1/2" marble tile...on top of the cork. These shelves will eack have a 2 inch lip on all the edges. I'm also going to do the same thing with the speakers.

Anyway, it's a bit of an experiment on my part. Should be interesting to see and hear the results, when I'm done.
                                        Tony

Comment

• Bam!
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by NMyTree
                                          What about Cork? Is Cork any good for dampening?

I know it's good for sound-proofing. Seems like it would be good for vibrations too.

I was planning on trying Cork with my new custom component rack, when it is completed and delivered to me.

I also had a thought of putting sheets of 1 inch Cork on each component shelf, with either 1/4" or 1/2" marble tile...on top of the cork. These shelves will eack have a 2 inch lip on all the edges. I'm also going to do the same thing with the speakers.

Anyway, it's a bit of an experiment on my part. Should be interesting to see and hear the results, when I'm done.

I `ve used them as washers on my audio rack.....one with cork....and the other with something else...not sure what exactly.....I`ve seen no difference......but there has to be another way to do it I guess.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

I would guess cork would be too stiff to stop the vibrations we're talking about here...might do to stop major vibrations if the shelf were heavy and it rattled etc.

Comment

• stantheman2
                                              • Apr 2004

The mouse pad woks!

FYI to all, I tried Andrew's "tweak of the day" above and cut up a mouse pad and put the pieces under the feet of my Denon DVD-2200. It may simply be the placebo effect, but I swear the sound was cleaner, more distinct, and tighter. $3.99 USD for the mouse pad never sounded so good!!

This now puts me in the "what if" mode. The Denon chassis is not notably rigid, so I'm now wondering if I could further improve the sound with some weight on the top of the player - sandbag, rock, "magic brick", etc.

Can anyone give me feedback whether tweaks like this have helped?

Comment

• David Meek
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

I'll throw another option out. VibraPods. I've used these for four years and have been extremely pleased with the results.

I started out with a similar problem, in that my CD player would skip when I had the music cranked and the sub hopping. I bought 6 of the Pods and had a 1/4" thick sheet of glass cut to rest on the Pods and give the CD unit a good solid base. Instantly - no more problems, plus better resolution of the music I was hearing to boot. I won't be without these cost-effective little pieces any more. Oh, you do need to know the weight of your unit, and any shelving the Pods will need to support so that you can purchase the proper ones.

As always with things like this, YMMV. Good luck.
                                                Last edited by David Meek; 31 July 2004, 22:14 Saturday.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Andrew, I like the Clearaudio magnets you posted about:

But at US$179 each, and needing at least 3 (or more), plus the cost of the rest of the materials you'd need, you've got a wide selection of isolation equipment choices available. Having said that though, the thought of these supporting a 2" marble platform for my TT to sit on is just too sexy!
                                                  :drool:

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                                    Former Moderator
                                                    • Jan 2002

BAM!

Would mounting the rack on the wall (Left-hand corner) with two vibrapods between the wall and the rack and placing the TV on a tv wall mount above the rack> therefore giving you room to re-insert the CD player and amp back in the rack........be an option?
                                                    CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Bam!
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Uncle Clive
                                                      BAM!

Would mounting the rack on the wall (Left-hand corner) with two vibrapods between the wall and the rack and placing the TV on a tv wall mount above the rack> therefore giving you room to re-insert the CD player and amp back in the rack........be an option?

Hey Uncle Clive! That sounds like a great recipe!!! :lol:
                                                      .....but it`s Snef`s room not mine....so let`s see what he says!

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                                        Former Moderator
                                                        • Jan 2002

:agree: :nuke: :
                                                        CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• ht_addict
                                                          • Dec 2002

I'll second the vibrapods. I have them under my amp, dvd and receiver.

ht_addict

Comment

• dave
                                                            • Aug 2003

My youngest son is a pretty good drummer, while watching him the other day
                                                            I got to thinking about this thread and anti-vibration. Anyway as he was
                                                            pulling through a solo my attention turned to the cymbals and what keeps them from shattering under the stress thats given them. after he was done
                                                            I took a closer look at the way they were attached to the stands and what they were riding on, three quarter inch thick felt pads. So I got to thinking
                                                            that if those things can protect the cymbals from coming apart, what would they do under my transport, D/A converter and both pre-amps. As luck would have it Phil was going to the Guitar center to buy some things so I gave him some cash and off he went. He came back with a package of 10 and I went to installing them under my gear fortunately he had a couple extra
                                                            in his room that he was'nt using and that made a dozen. Well for the $5.00
                                                            USD that was spent they really did an amazing job of cleaning up the sound.
                                                            Im not saying they are the best out there, however for the money Zildjian
                                                            pads sure did the job for me. :P
                                                            Dave...

Comment

• ht_addict
                                                              • Dec 2002

How about these cork/neoprene pads.

They come in various sizes and thickness. I've e-mailed the company to get a list of prices.

Kevin

Comment

• dave
                                                                • Aug 2003

Hmm,,
                                                                Those would be very easy to make!!!
                                                                Thanks for the heads up...
                                                                Dave...

Comment

• Bam!
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by dave
                                                                  My youngest son is a pretty good drummer, while watching him the other day
                                                                  I got to thinking about this thread and anti-vibration. Anyway as he was
                                                                  pulling through a solo my attention turned to the cymbals and what keeps them from shattering under the stress thats given them. after he was done
                                                                  I took a closer look at the way they were attached to the stands and what they were riding on, three quarter inch thick felt pads. So I got to thinking
                                                                  that if those things can protect the cymbals from coming apart, what would they do under my transport, D/A converter and both pre-amps. As luck would have it Phil was going to the Guitar center to buy some things so I gave him some cash and off he went. He came back with a package of 10 and I went to installing them under my gear fortunately he had a couple extra
                                                                  in his room that he was'nt using and that made a dozen. Well for the $5.00
                                                                  USD that was spent they really did an amazing job of cleaning up the sound.
                                                                  Im not saying they are the best out there, however for the money Zildjian
                                                                  pads sure did the job for me. :P

That`s pretty cool.....I`ll stop by our music store and it a go......however for me I am big Black Diamond Racing fan! so under my cd player.....that will remain.....but for the rest why not!

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2004

Anyone ever try rubber Ice Hockey pucks?

I wonder if you drill a tiny hole right in the middle, it could be good for setting the spikes of my speakers? Might need a slate of marble or something underneath, though.

I don't know. It's just a thought.
                                                                    Tony

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2004

Kevin,

Any word on that cork/neoprene pads idea? Have a link ?

Bam! , that's a great idea...the cymbal pads. Hmmmm......I'm gonna' try that. Worth a shot. :B
                                                                      Tony

Comment

• Bill Blank
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2002

Hey guys! Came across this very good article in another thread on vibration control:

A thorough exploration in a magazine article of such a pervasive and complex topic as vibration control in audio systems is next to impossible; vibration and sound are so intimately bonded that it would be very easy to extend this discussion to just about any area of interest in audio. My intention here is simply to lay a foundation for understanding the basic mechanical forces affecting our quest for improved sonic fidelity, and in the process provide the tools for anyone to achieve good, practical vibration control in his or her system.

Definitely worth a read!

I use ice hockey pucks under my power amp (Rotel RMB-1075).

Bill

Comment

• dave
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2003

Regarding the Cymbal Pad idea,,,
                                                                          i wonder if some type of adhesive was applied to the bottom of the pads,
                                                                          would there be any changes in the sound? and what would be used?
                                                                          Silicon maybe, any ideas?
                                                                          Dave...

Comment

• theMaximus
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2004
                                                                            • 179

I tried Andrew's idea of putting pieces of soft mouse pad under my components and noticed pretty good improvements. Not bad for $5.00. Thanks for the idea.
                                                                            Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 16507

#39
                                                                              No problem just passing on the idea...

Comment

• Patt
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2005
                                                                                • 922

#40
                                                                                Hi Bam,

Can't help you with the rack but maybe a lot of those vibrations are coming from the sub? If it is anything like mine on our wood structured floor the violent shaking and vibrations are (were) tremendous at times. I put spikes on the sub then set it on a 2" thick concrete pad from a local home store and there are 12 squash balls hot melt glued to the bottom. Really smoothes things out.
                                                                                I also cut up my wifes gelled wrist wrest into 1" squares for under each leg the CD player.

Nice of you to help him out
                                                                                Now I need to get over to the A/V Chalet and introduce myself.
                                                                                Last edited by Patt; 09 February 2005, 21:25 Wednesday.
                                                                                ......Pat

Comment

• Bam!
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2004
                                                                                  • 2458

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Patt
                                                                                  Hi Bam,

Can't help you with the rack but maybe a lot of those vibrations are coming from the sub? If it is anything like mine on our wood structured floor the violent shaking and vibrations are (were) tremendous at times. I put spikes on the sub then set it on a 2" thick concrete pad from a local home store and there are 12 squash balls hot melt glued to the bottom. Really smoothes things out.
                                                                                  I also cut up my wifes gelled wrist wrest into 1" squares for under each leg the CD player.

Nice of you to help him out
                                                                                  Now I need to get over to the A/V Chalet and introduce myself.
                                                                                  Thanks Patt, I appreciate your input.

Welcome!

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 8938

#42
                                                                                    Hi Patt, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

We've got a thread running on VibraPods if you (all) are interested in more "vibration" stuff.
                                                                                    .

Comment

• aud19
                                                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Aug 2003
                                                                                      • 16706

#43
                                                                                      Holy Back From The Dead! Bam and the thread!

It rhymes...weeeeee!!!!!!
                                                                                      Jason

Comment

• Bam!
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jan 2004
                                                                                        • 2458

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by aud19
                                                                                        Holy Back From The Dead! Bam and the thread!

It rhymes...weeeeee!!!!!!
                                                                                        :W How are ya doin' buddy ?

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 8938

#45
                                                                                          Oooh, a BAM-sighting! :B
                                                                                          .

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"