X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tgrossner
    • Jul 2004

New Home Theater in small space

Hello! First time poster here. I have recently made the decision to build a dedicated home theater in my one time office space within my house. This space is 15'x9 in floorplan with 8.5' ceiling height.

One end wall has a single window. The righthand wall has a double window. There is nothing I can really do about them. There is also an external door going outside and a set of french doors into the main living space.

I know these things make for an imperfect situation but there is no alternative. So, that being said, my question is this: would I have better performace/quality going with a HDTV at the far end of the room - where the X is -

15ft wall

X 9ft wall w/french doors

OR

option 2 is using a projector and throwing the image on the 15' wall like so -

______XXXXX_____

I am flexible either way, and would much appreciate everyones input.

Tim Grossner
    tgrossner@lunarhosting.net
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Welcome Tim!

Personally I`d go with a projector.....because it`s smaller....hence way better soundstage dor your mains.....big bulky thryroid problem RPTV`s are an acoustic nightmare and take up the whole the room....

So if you can...go with a projector....since it`s only for watching movies and video games right ?

Image should be 1.75x the distance of where you are sitting calculating the base of the screen.....

hope this helps.
    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

If you go the projector route, Tim, I'd suggest you set the screen on the 9 foot wide wall. That way you can have your seating at 1.5 to 2 times the screen width. using the 9 foot wall for seating would put you far too close for anything in a worthwhile size for front projection.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• tgrossner
        • Jul 2004

Good suggestion, but that 9ft wall has a window. Hence, more problems with light interference <sp?>. Unless I totally am underestimating the display performance of a LCD projector.

As for the big bulky thyroid problem RPTV (i love that description btw) it would be less of a problem because the TV I am looking at would be a Sony LCD projection 42 inch model. MUCH smaller footprint than a traditional RPTV!

I love the responses, keep em coming!

Tim

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Tim, you can buy room darkening windowshades that do an effective job. See the ADVICE PLEASE thread in the Front Projection room .
          My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"