• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Experience with JM Lab Electra 936???

Hi,

I've been searching for a speaker upgrade that sounds as good as the B&W 802 or 803s, but without needing the major amplification upgrade I would need to match them. After lots of comparative listening in stores (hard because the brands I liked were all in different stores), I brought home a set of JM Labs Focal Electra 936 for a home demo.

I've got to say I am impressed... Transparent, open, fast, the whole spectrum is good. The only thing I'm still adjusting to is the sheer level of treble detail (already upped a notch with the Silver Coax cables I have) the detail is now into the "serious" category... I like what I am hearing as much or better than the 802s in store - they are a little like listening to electrostatic headphones like Stax... - scary really... And in Aussie $ they are 1/2 the price of the 802s - less even than the 803s...

Anyway - why am I posting. I have not been able to do a true A/B with these and the B&W 802 or 803 so I am relying on store to store memory with he same CDs. Has anyone else here done any comparisons with the JM Lab Electra Range and B&Ws (or other higher end speaker) - and if so - what did they think...

I could also bring home the B&W 803s for a try... but I'm never going to get these in the house at the same time...

Geoff
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Geoff,

Sorry, but I can't tell you that I've had any experience with the Electras. I just wanted to say that you have very good taste in speakers my friend. The reviews I've read, and chat I've seen on them around the 'net are all very positive. Good luck and good listening. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Dan Nelson
      • Feb 2005

Geoff,

I have the 936's home. Results are fantastic... if you like the 'treble detail"... The association with Rotel is a good thing because they are quite soft in the treble. Note that there will be a new Electra range in may or later. You have also the special 25th anniversary Electra range, the 927 or 937 with the berrillium tweeter of the Utopia from JMLab...Sharpness is softer with it.....but price is higher... I think JMLab and BW sound completely different especially in the higher frequency range... finally it's your taste that has to decide...

Good listening!
      Dan.

Comment

• mduke
        • Jan 2005

Geoff,
        I have heard the 936's at length. They are incredible speakers. I actually have the 927Be's. Could not pass up that tweeter. I also have the cc-901 and sw900 for my hometheater. The 936's were on my list as well. Your are right. The detail is fantastic. The bass is solid as well. I perfer their sound to the sound of the B&W's. It just sounds more real to me. You can not go wrong with them. I would get them and not have a second thought. Either the 936 or one of the special edition. I don't think you will have any regret. I don't .
        Have fun with your choice.
        Last edited by mduke; 08 March 2005, 15:48 Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"