X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brucek
    HTG Expert
    • Aug 2000

SONY DVP CX777ES Review

In a quest to organize all my CD's and DVD's, I decided to purchase the new 400 disc multichanger from Sony. This was introduced last October as the first mega changer that Sony has adorned with its 'ES' moniker, and I have to admit that all-in-all it does deliver excellent video and audio.

The unit plays DVD-Video (DD/DTS), SuperAudio CD (SACD) 2CH and multichannel, CD, DVD-R ,DVD-RW, DVD+R ,DVD+RW, Video CD, CD-R ,CD-RW, and MP3 discs. It supports mutichannel SACD with digital bass management and speaker delays and DVD video with built-in Dolby Digital/DTS decoding with 5.1-channel output (if you care to use it).

True to Sony's long standing tradition of designing horrible human-machine interfaces, the on-screen disc management explorer system is pretty darned clumsy and quite hard to get used to - in addition, their 107 page user manual is (as expected) awful. But, I admit after you play with it for a while, it does get easier, although it never really rises above the clumsy feel. Loading, labeling and editing the on-screen text and icons is the worst part - once that's done, it's not too bad. You can use the remote to enter your text data if you're a masochist, or you can simply plug in a standard PC keyboard to the front panel to make this task go a lot easier. I just leave mine plugged in until I've finished entering all my discs - on going hobby.. :Z

The discs are organized in various folders of DVD's, CD's, self named folders, genre's etc. This part works pretty well, with the ability provided to sort, file and find things fairly quick.

If the disc contains cover art and data text information the jobs fairly easy, but it's surprising how few disks support this feature - you get lucky about one in eight for DVD's and almost none for CD's. SACD's all support data tracks.
    There is a RS232 port that interfaces with various third party applications (i.e. DVD Lobby) to control and manage the unit from a PC which allows you access to the internets database of DVD's & CD's. Everyone that uses these apps swears by them and says there's no other way to go. I guess for everyone using an HTPC, they could easily use an external manager. Down the road, I'll look into that, perhaps simply for the data management portion. Wouldn't take much to run a 232 cable from my office PC to the Sony changer. I would like a cheap app that I could use to enter and manage the data within the 777, but I'd rather just use the remote to operate the machine itself.

The selectable progressive scan video uses an amazing 216MHz/12-bit video DAC. I don't own a HDTV, so unfortunately I can't comment on the progressive output, but the NTSC output from component out is quite good - no noise. I don't really think it's too much better than the component output from the Sony DVP S7000 that I'm replacing, but it has lots of control settings to tweak it for sure. In fact you can set and store video control settings for 400 discs if so inclined. On top of the usual adjustment items such as color, brightness, hue etc, there are 4 levels of digital video enhancement, block noise reduction, luminance noise adjustment, chroma noise reduction, chroma delay, audio/video delay between picture and sound, sliding scale adjuster between film vs. video for progressive scan, selected area gamma correction.........Well, you get the idea, there's lots to adjust - or you can select blanket video modifiers like cinema, dynamic etc. :roll:

The audio is really quite good. This unit has an audio signal-to-noise ratio of 115 dB and uses a 192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter. It has a selectable sampling frequency output setting of 48 kHz/16-bit or 96 kHz/24-bit, and you can select the shape of a digital filter to reduce noise above 22.05 kHz (for sources with a sampling frequency of 44.1 kHz), 24 kHz (for sources with a sampling frequency of 48 kHz), or 48 kHz (for sources with a sampling frequency above 96 kHz). The Audio Filter can be set to Sharp or Slow.

If you're using analog out for music as I do, you can shut down quite a bit of the digital circuitry to reduce any noise too (not that there is any). The video circuits and front panel display can be shut down from buttons on the front panel. The digital output can be selected shut down completely or you can select to minimize its influence when playing CD's to eliminate the use of unnecessary digital circuits. I leave the latter one enabled but enable the digital output for use in playing DVD's. You can also adjust the audio line out level with an attenuator setting.

I did some audio listening tests using the latest Diana Krall SACD since it has both a CD and SACD layer. My setup was listened in analog to SACD(2CH) and CD from the 777ES through my Bryston analog preamp and Bryston 4BST with ProAc 3.8 speakers. My usual CD player for comparison was my ARCAM Alpha 9. This is a fairly good player in the C$2100 range. Nothing scientific in this test. I just wanted to compare the three signals.

I guess it's no surprise that I thought the SACD was the best (it is stellar), but I had a lot of trouble between the Alpha 9 and the 777ES on CD. I guess I have to conclude the 777ES is a pretty good CD player - I was surprised, because my Alpha 9 is considered quite good and any other time I've compared my other players against the Alpha 9, it's a no contest. I suppose when a player supports SACD, there's a spill-over advantage for the CD in better power supplies, audio circuits, drive etc.
    With the volume on my preamp up full, the noise floor on the Sony was slightly higher than from my Arcam - I'm pickin' at straws here... :roll:

This player is heavy and large. I had to modify my shelves to accommodate. Specifically in depth - the player is 21 1/8" deep. Most shelves won't accept that too easily when you consider connectors and cables protruding from the rear. You need about 2 feet in depth.

I give the audio and video quality a big thumbs up, :T , but there are a few things I would change if I could:

I think the blue interior light that shines through the door opening is quite cool, but I would switch it to a white light when the door is open loading disks to allow you to see better. The discs are quite close together and without enough light it is very hard to see the slot to fit in a new disk.

I would allow for a few more characters in the text Title line and I would allow use of the second line of text that you can't seem to access when editing. The full first and second line of text are used when an SACD data track is read, why not in the manual edit mode. -(maybe there's an app that uses the RS232 port to allow more characters to be entered into the explorer and make use of the second text line? - I think member KingDaddy has one of these units and likely knows the answer to this question)..... :W

I would have perhaps chosen a faster processor for the on-screen system. Refreshing the folders has a frustrating lag that shouldn't really be necessary.

I attached (hopefully) a picture of my system with the new player. I'm not too fussed about the silver color, but what can you do. This unit will keep me amused for quite a while I'm sure..

Sony site on DVP CX777ES

brucek

EDIT SEPT 10th: Test of inserting image into text body:::
    Attached Files
    Last edited by brucek; 10 September 2004, 16:13 Friday.
  • Kingdaddy
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by brucek
    (maybe there's an app that uses the RS232 port to allow more characters to be entered into the explorer and make use of the second text line? - I think member KingDaddy has one of these units and likely knows the answer to this question).....
    No the RS232 cannot make use of the display at all, but once you start using a computer to control the interface there isn't any need for text information IMO.

DVD Lobby is a pretty good interface and is far superior to the Sony interface, but recently I found that all the first gen DTS discs are a problem with this interface. One of the best features of the DirectDisc command protocol in the RS232 buss is the fact that it will skip all the bs and go right to the movie, no menu, no FBI, no previews, which is a god send. But unfortunately the first gen DTS discs have a initial startup screen that allows the selection of the DTS audio track, once it's skipped you cant go back and select. So far there is no work around for this, you have to manually select any first gen DTS discs by the front panel knob. I'm presently working with a USBUIRT blaster to use a macro and the IR interface to make a workaround for this, but no one has done this yet, so I'm not sure this will even work.

All in all I agree with your assessment of the SonyDVP-CX777ES, it's a very good unit, sound and picture are a good as I've ever seen, but the layer change is among the worst (2-3 sec), although the more I use it the less it bothers me. Having all my collection (184 discs) on tap is by far the greatest advantage and has made my movie watching experience much more enjoyable. I feel I get the most out of all my movies now, before I would not bother to put in a movie unless I was really in the mood for it, so i watched about 3 to 4 movies a week, now I watch about 11 to 12 movies a week.

Problem DTS movies that I own.

12 Monkeys
    Apollo 13
    Eagles hell freezes over
    Attached Files
    My Center Channel Project

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Glad you like it Bruce....

I saw this last year and the only thing I am disappointed about is it is only in silver. I have two of the M555ES 400-disc CD jukeboxes and a non-ES dvd-carousel (300-disc). I need to get another cd jukebox and I really would like to get this unit but won't due to the WAF (silver).

Good listening to you (and disc labeling!).

Jim
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• brucek
        HTG Expert
        • Aug 2000

DVD Lobby is a pretty good interface and is far superior to the Sony interface
        Yeah, from my investigations, it does seem like a great application. I thought it might be interesting for me to get an old laptop to have in my HT room with DVD Lobby loaded and a hidden 232 cable connected to the Sony.

I always try and be truthful with myself when I want to get into something like this, and establish whether I want it because I love to tool around with this kind of thing or will it actually make things easier. Do I really want to boot up windows every time I simply wish to listen to a CD? I'll have to think more on it.

before I would not bother to put in a movie unless I was really in the mood
        Certainly half the fun of one of these devices is discovering your older DVD's and CD collection. Once loaded, I agree it sure is a lot easier to scan down a list on screen to play a movie without having to get up and load it up - can I get any lazier? :Z :Z

Comment

• derekcowburn
          • Aug 2004

Love at first sight

I coveted the Sony DVP-CX777ES since I first saw the specs on it. When I received the unit, the Folder interface was a definate let-down so I wrote an interface via the RS-232 port which grew into the DVPgenie product (http://www.ibtcorp.com/dvpgenie)

The SACD disc recognition is still lame. The Sony does not return much data about the disc so it's difficult to get a unique fingerprint to identify it on anything other than the 16 character title.

I did find that the bet place for the included remote was on the shelf without batteries and used the RS-232 control via a PocketPC. The Pronto works well too and is easier to use for control only.

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Looks like a nice piece of gear. So the sound/picture quality is quite good for a megachanger then.

Now if Sony were to add DVD-A, revamp the clunky interface (their CD jukeboxes are real easy to use, why not the DVD jukeboxes?), and offer it in black I'd snap one up in a heartbeat.

Comment

• brucek
              HTG Expert
              • Aug 2000

Now if Sony were to add DVD-A, revamp the clunky interface (their CD jukeboxes are real easy to use, why not the DVD jukeboxes?), and offer it in black I'd snap one up in a heartbeat.
              Yeah, I agree. Sony loves to shoot itself in the foot (read Beta). There's no reason they couldn't have gone the extra mile and provided a decent interface from the supplied remote and why not tack on DVD-A support and a black or silver faceplate choice. They'd sell a zillion.......

Sony seems to have great engineering and then they get hung up on their proprietary nonsense...and in the end it hurts them......

Either way, after owning this device for a while now, I have to say it is really quite good in the sound and video department. I still hate the clunky interface.....

brucek

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

They wouldn't have to do a whole lot either... just provide the ability to press Disc, 3 digits, Enter on the remote to select a specific disc. Their CD jukeboxes have this, but the DVD ones don't. Yes I know you can go into the menu and pick a disc by number, but it isn't as smooth for doing Pronto macros, etc.

Obviously the DVD jukebox developers didn't solicit input from the group who developed the CD jukeboxes. Even the 5 disc carousels are like this... the CD models had 5 disc buttons on the remote, but the DVD models require menu navigation just to select a specific disc! :roll:

It's a shame, because I like the Sony DVD players (at least the single tray models), and their CD players (including jukeboxes).

Comment

• Drew_W
                  • Dec 2003

Bryston and ProAc dude. Nice! :T

Good review too. I've been considering using one of these as a CD transport ever since I sold my CDP355CX a few months back. The pile of CDs on top of my rack miss the jukebox...

*sigh* ... all these decisions ...

Comment

• jimmyp58
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Unfortunately you guys in Canada can no longer get the CDP-M555ES. It's a great megachanger too (though it doesn't do all that the 777 does).
                    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

I bought the non ES version of this changer a few weeks ago and loaded up all my DVD's into it. I don't bother with the interface as I just use SNL to load the DVD titles into my pronto remote. I agree the picture quality is very good and isn't much different then what I was used to seeing with my Denon 1600 player I used before. Its also got a fantastic feature in that you can set it to progressive but also still get an interlaced image from the s-video and composite jacks. For me this was really nice as it allows me to watch a progressive image on the projector but should my wife or whom ever want to watch a DVD on the 32" Wega they no longer have to hit the progressive/interlaced button on the front of the Denon...it also means I can view the DVD's on the Rotel 1098's TFT display should I want to (never do unless I'm showing off the Rotel :B )

Comment

• brucek
                        HTG Expert
                        • Aug 2000

Samurai Snl

I don't bother with the interface as I just use SNL to load the DVD titles into my pronto remote
                        I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that SNL doesn't stand for Saturday Night Live?

What magic do you possess to perform this feat with your Pronto? I have a Pronto and was trying to think of ways to load it with a decent ccf for my 777...

brucek

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Bruce SNL refers to SuperNudelList which is a freeware app. that was written several years ago to essentially catalog CD's for jukebox's and load them into a pronto CCF file. Its really the tool that takes the pronto remotes to the next level of automation and once established its very simple to maintain. You can download the software here and there's a number of very good threads on the RemoteCentral site explaining the software in detail. That said I believe I wrote a "how to" that I posted in the remote area ages ago that I'll try and find for you but perhapse you should start a new thread in the remote area and we'll get you started using that remote and your jukebox to its full potential.

Also if you send me an email i'll flip you my CCF so you can see how it works once its loaded into the pronto...I have two lists going one for the CD changer and one for the DVD changer.

Comment

• isamu
                            • Dec 2004

Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this player is region free and plays pal discs. I am in the U.S. but have a few titles that are pal.

Comment

• purplepeople
                              • Aug 2004

Let me start with a general question: Is there way to make the layer change delay go away? Is it as simple as adding or replacing a memory chip?

brucek: Is the delay only for audio or can you delay video relative to sound? Sometimes, it seems that the sound is running late by a frame or so, which would be logical if they were in perfect sync on the disc but reaching my head at the speed of light and sound.

Kevin P: Check your remote... there might be button called "Disc Skip", just like on my Sony 5-disc DVD/SACD player. I keep an older bottom line Sony CD-carousel for parties and I agree that it's great to have a button for each CD, but even on my DVD changer, I don't have to use the on-screen menus.

brucek: With DSD recording systems in place at many studios, Sony will never bother playing into the DVD-A crowd. In fact, if you dig deep enough, you'll likely find a few titles that were recorded with DSD and then converted to PCM and DVD-A. IMO, Just having Pink Floyd vote for SACD has kind rung a knell on DVD-A. Either way, I wouldn't be too worried... I've started to notice that SACD titles tend to cater to the crowd that pays for high-end media and the high-end players (Jazz, Classical, etc.) and that DVD-A titles are very mainstream, and in competition with MP3. I'll go out on a limb and predict that SACD will continue to have a small and devoted following while DVD-A will be killed by iPod.

ensen.
                              Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this player is region free and plays pal discs. I am in the U.S. but have a few titles that are pal.
                                No I don't think there's a way to make it region free or play PAL discs...though see below for a "fix" on the region free issue.

Let me start with a general question: Is there way to make the layer change delay go away? Is it as simple as adding or replacing a memory chip?
                                Doubtfull as that would require a memory buffer that simply wasn't designed into the player. That said there are ways to get rid of all layer changes but it requires using software like DVDShrink to put the movie on one layer of a DVD-R (or DVD+R). DVDShrink can also remove region coding as well I believe but that's not something I am familar with nor have need for.

Comment

• Kevin P
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by purplepeople
                                  Kevin P: Check your remote... there might be button called "Disc Skip", just like on my Sony 5-disc DVD/SACD player. I keep an older bottom line Sony CD-carousel for parties and I agree that it's great to have a button for each CD, but even on my DVD changer, I don't have to use the on-screen menus.
                                  Yes, I know about the "disc skip" button on the 5-disc models (and the disc +/- buttons on the megachangers), but I'm referring to being able to go to a specific disc with one push of a button. Like hitting one button to go directly to disc 3 on a 5 disc changer. The Sony CD units make this easy, the DVD units require menu navigation, which on some models at least, can vary depending on whether a CD or DVD is currently playing.

Andrew: how well do Pronto macros work for selecting a specific disc on the DVD megachangers? Is it reliable? Can the macro reliably select the menu, pick the disc, and clear the menu? I've seen cases where it's hit or miss on some of the Sony changers at least. That's why I wish they had the Disc button on the remote like on the CD changers, and individual disc buttons (on the 5-disc models).

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Kevin it works 9 times out of 10...actually more then that if you remmeber to lean forward a little as the IR receiving window isn't very wide which is an issue when you have your gear rack against the side wall like mine and not head on like most people.

Comment

• m.parigi
                                      • Dec 2004

How to get one of these beauties (and other issues)...

Greetings to everybody.
                                      I'd love to buy one these machines, but I live in Italy and it looks like Sony is marketing it only in the US and Canada. Does anybody know of a store (online or "real") that would be available to ship it to Italy?
                                      All of the places I've found so far don't accept international orders - so much for free trade and globalization! :cry:
                                      Any help is welcome.

Also, I'd like to try and interface the DVP-CX777ES to my music organizer software (Catrax_x). Can anybody tell me how to get the specs for the communication protocol used by this machine?

Thanks to everybody and have a Happy New Year

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

What voltage do you guys us there and are you PAL or NTSC?

Comment

• m.parigi
                                          • Dec 2004

Voltage and Color System

Andrew, we use 220V here, but voltage isn't really an issue: I can get an external transformer for $15 approx. My family and I used to live in the US and when we returned to Italy we brought back with us all sorts of appliances: I've currently got a gas dryer and a microwave oven powered by transformers without any problems.

Color standard in Italy is PAL, but there again, all of the recent TV sets sold in Europe are multistandard, meaning that they can accept NTSC, SECAM, PAL, etc.
                                          So, the real issue is really the region coding and the color system of the DVD media itself. The DVP-CX777ES can only accept region 1 and NTSC media. However, over 90% of my collection has been purchased in the US (Amazon and the likes), so I don't see an issue there either.

Last, not least, I'm actually planning to use the darn machine for audio purposes, not video. I already own a 400 CD player (Sony CDP-CX455) which I use for storing and managing my MP3 collection, but the sound quality (especially the MP3 conversion) sucks. I get much better sonic results when I tap into my SoundBlaster audio card!
                                          I'm looking for the DVP-CX777 ES to improve the sound of my system and to geve me the ability to play the SACD's as well.

Any idea on how to get one? Even a used/demo one? I've seen that there are a few online shops that sell it for US$540 - US$590, but none of them accepts international orders. Damn!

Comment

• purplepeople
                                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by m.parigi
                                            ...I'm actually planning to use the darn machine for audio purposes, not video. I already own a 400 CD player (Sony CDP-CX455) which I use for storing and managing my MP3 collection, but the sound quality (especially the MP3 conversion) sucks. I get much better sonic results when I tap into my SoundBlaster audio card!
                                            I'm looking for the DVP-CX777 ES to improve the sound of my system and to geve me the ability to play the SACD's as well.
                                            If you are using mostly MP3, you do not need an SACD player. In fact, when you put your MP3 encoded CD-Rs into the CX777 you will get the same bad sound quality that you have now. Maybe before you buy the CX777 you should try playing Redbook CD in the CX455. The sound will be much improved over the MP3's and you can spend the money on more music.

ensen.

Comment

• m.parigi
                                              • Dec 2004

I've already tried playing standard Red-Book CD's (I own several hundreds of them) in the CDP-CX455, hence my claim that the sound quality sucks!
                                              Besides, I also own a few dozens SACD's which I've never used as such because I don't have a SACD player.
                                              The output stages of the DVP-CX777ES are soooo much better than its smaller brother...
                                              My philosophy is to get "serious" music (classical, jazz and pop) on CD's or SACD's and to use MP3 at very high bitrate (256K or 320K) for compilations, one-shot bands, chill-out music, etc. BTW, I regularly buy my MP3's mostly on AllofMP3.com, so it's not that I'm saving money anyway.
                                              Gotta get one!

Comment

• purplepeople
                                                • Aug 2004

I don't understand... why do have SACD's if you have no player? I never got any until I had a player and even so, I only have a few. Are these hybrid discs?

If the sound quality sucks that much, could it be other components in the system? Usually before I upgrade a component, I try to see if it is actually the weakest link. Sometimes, moving a speaker or the chair 30cm will solve some phase problems.

ensen.

Comment

• m.parigi
                                                  • Dec 2004

Purplepeople, I've got a "regular" CD player (Wadia 830), which sounds just right in my system, so do all the remaining components when I play some other source (DAT, vynil, tuner, cassette). Hence my claim that the culprit has to be the CDP-CX455.
                                                  Anybody knows a merchant available to ship to Italy?

Comment

• purplepeople
                                                    • Aug 2004

Sorry m.parigi, your profile does not list your equipment so I cannot make assumptions on how you compare the CX455. And Wadia is not a regular CD player. It is a very good one.

As for where to buy, I can only suggest trying a professional dealer, such as our local Commercial Electronics. They will not only be able to get Sony ES, but may even be able to ship anywhere for "installation." But since I am on the west coast of North America shipping to Italy is crazy from here. Maybe there is a pro dealer on the east coast that will ship to Europe.

ensen.

Comment

• Equus
                                                      • Mar 2005

A Few Clarifications/Comparisons

Hi there:

I'm hoping that this thread is still being read and one or more of you geniuses can give me some clarifications. There are no reviews of this particular model over on epinions.com, but the review of several of Sony's previous models raised some major issues, and I'm wondering if they have been resolved.

First, some problem with an "autoload" feature that slows navigation down. To quote from a review of the CX875P:

"When the power comes on, the machine automatically loads a disk. I call this "auto-load." It causes several problems. The first is, there is less than a 1% chance that the disk it loads happens to be the one you want to play. Worse, it might load a disk that has an "auto-play" script coded on it, in which case you'll have to sit through whatever is on the "auto-play" (e.g. commercials) before you can switch to what you want to play...he had switched off the feature that Sony calls "auto-play," but Sony didn't tell him about "auto-load," which can't be switched off.) Long story short, "auto-load" wastes a lot of time."

Does anyone know if the 777 has this problem on power-up?

Next was a problem about nothing holding the discs in their slots, so if you tilted the machine they would all fall into a pile.

Reviews of another Sony 400-DVD changer, the CX985V list some additional problems:

No single-DVD slot so dealing with a rental DVD is difficult as you have to add it to the "collection". How does the 777 deal with this?

Only showing 5 discs at a time and no way to page-down, you have to scroll one by one. Again, is that the same in the 777?

Also, I notice from the picture of the display above that discs were arranged by slot number, not alphabetically. Is this changeable? I'd like to be able to sort my discs by name.

I can deal with a clunky interface as long as it's usable and doesn't load each disc you highlight. That would take forever. And can you select a disc by slot number?

Thanks!

Eq
                                                      Last edited by Equus; 24 March 2005, 11:10 Thursday.

Comment

• Equus
                                                        • Mar 2005

Choosing Discs by Number?

Originally posted by Kevin P
                                                        They wouldn't have to do a whole lot either... just provide the ability to press Disc, 3 digits, Enter on the remote to select a specific disc. Their CD jukeboxes have this, but the DVD ones don't. Yes I know you can go into the menu and pick a disc by number, but it isn't as smooth for doing Pronto macros, etc.
                                                        This may be helpful. From a review of the CX875P over on epinions:

"...Turn on the CD player, wait through the auto-load sequence, then press stop. Next, press Display, then the -> key (right arrow). Now, key in the disk number, and press Enter. The disk will play. This procedure is not in the manual - I found it by trial and error..."

Maybe this works on the 777 too?

Eq

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

It does try to auto load but I haven't found it to be that big a problem. You can jump right to a slot and for rentals its very easy...just open the door, drop the rental in any free slot and press select. I thought about buying a cheap single disc player for rentals but now that I've got the jukebox its really not worth it as its not a big deal to play a single disc. I can't comment on the GUI as I don't use it (I'm a pronto user) but I'm pretty sure the GUI is identical btn the 985 and 777 units.

Comment

• Equus
                                                            • Mar 2005

Thanks Andrew.

Does it try to auto-load only the first time it's powered on, or every time you highlight a disc as you're scrolling through the library?

Eq

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2000

Don't know about the scrolling as I've never used the GUI but it will try to to play slot one when first powered up.

Comment

• brucek
                                                                HTG Expert
                                                                • Aug 2000

Does anyone know if the 777 has this problem on power-up?
                                                                Yep, it wants to play as soon as it's powered up. I'd rather it didn't, but it doesn't seem like a big deal. I just hit stop and then load the disk I want to listen to.

Next was a problem about nothing holding the discs in their slots, so if you tilted the machine they would all fall into a pile.
                                                                Yeah, I suppose if I took it out of my shelf and turned it on its side the disks would roll around. Wouldn't be pretty for sure, but it isn't something anyone would do, I don't think.

No single-DVD slot so dealing with a rental DVD is difficult as you have to add it to the "collection". How does the 777 deal with this?
                                                                Open the door and put a disk in and hit play...That's it. No different than a regular player.

Only showing 5 discs at a time and no way to page-down, you have to scroll one by one. Again, is that the same in the 777?
                                                                Yep. The supplied interface is slow for sure. I don't use it. I use a Pronto with SNL (same as Andrew).

Also, I notice from the picture of the display above that discs were arranged by slot number, not alphabetically. Is this changeable? I'd like to be able to sort my discs by name.
                                                                Yeah, you can sort by slot or name or genre

I can deal with a clunky interface as long as it's usable and doesn't load each disc you highlight.
                                                                It only loads the disk when you press play.

That would take forever. And can you select a disc by slot number?
                                                                Yes.

Why don't you just download the manual: :T

DVPCX777ES Manual

brucek

Comment

• Equus
                                                                  • Mar 2005

So, all-in-all, what makes this a better machine than the CX985V? Looks like the same interface, options, etc, with the same difficulties.

Eq

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Aug 2000

Longer warrenty and better Audio/Video DAC's

Comment

• emillika
                                                                      • Jan 2003

I don't think the 985 has rs232 control for those of us who want to integrate it into a control system like Crestron, AMX or DIY (Mainlobby).

Comment

• brucek
                                                                        HTG Expert
                                                                        • Aug 2000

I don't think the 985 has rs232 control for those of us who want to integrate it into a control system like Crestron, AMX or DIY (Mainlobby).
                                                                        As does the CX777ES....

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2004

I've recently added a ICBM to the SACD analog path and viola, perfection, way better bass integration and slam. Just proved to me that no bass managment in any SACD player is up to snuff.

Comment

• emillika
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Jan 2003
                                                                            • 30

Bruce.. that was my point.. the 777 has rs232 and the 985 doesn't.

Comment

• And123
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Apr 2005
                                                                              • 4

#39
                                                                              RS232 interface for CX777ES

Does any know of any RS232 interface that would connect to CDDB? I use my CX777EX mainly for SACDs and CDs, and SONY explorer is terrible. Can DVD Lobby or DVPgenie do it? I’m using CATraxx to catalogue my music. Can any of these packages import from CATraxx, EXCEL or txt format?
                                                                              Help appreciated.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2004
                                                                                • 355

#40
                                                                                I use DVD Lobby and it does what you want, RS232 has nothing to do with CDDB, it just allows your computer to control the changer, the third party program like DVD Lobby will interface with the on-line CDDB.

Comment

• And123
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Apr 2005
                                                                                  • 4

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Kingdaddy
                                                                                  I use DVD Lobby and it does what you want, RS232 has nothing to do with CDDB, it just allows your computer to control the changer, the third party program like DVD Lobby will interface with the on-line CDDB.
                                                                                  Thanks much Kingdaddy, appreciated, so DVD Lobby will interface to CDDB, and will control 777 via RS232, right?

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2003
                                                                                    • 504

#42
                                                                                    You could use an Escient DVDM-100 or Escient DVD-300 to create an onscreen GUI from the CDDB and the RS232 data of the Sony 777ES. I install these all the time and personally use one as well. Here it is:

Here's what the menu looks like:

You could also look at the Control4 Media Center that's getting released at the end of April. Here it is:

The Media Center works very similar to the way Escient's DVDM-100 works, but it's also a complete automation system...it also costs less...unbelievable. I went up to get trained on all of Control4 last month and the Media Center is going to be an awesome product. I have several on order. I'm not sure how many more Escient's I'll sell for DVD management once it’s released.

Brent Huskins
                                                                                    Media Design
                                                                                    HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• bernie
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2013
                                                                                      • 3

#43
                                                                                      Need a little help please. Somehow the internal blue light that shines thru the front door is out. I don't know if there is a setting that I messed up or what. Does anyone have an answer for this? Hopefully it's not where I have to take it in to a Sony repair center.

Thanks so much!

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Dec 2000
                                                                                        • 16877

#44
                                                                                        Ah, sorry, Bernie, but this is a much older model now, so I'm not sure if you'll get an answer on this one. Hopefully someone will know. Is that an important feature?

I wouldn't be too afraid of going to a repair center.
                                                                                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• bernie
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2013
                                                                                          • 3

#45
                                                                                          Yeah I've had it for almost 10 years now. Yes I guess it is a little. It's kind of the cool look factor as opposed to being a really functional light. I was hoping that there might be an easy fix or some obscure setting that I mistakenly changed but I guess that's not to be. The only down side to the Sony repair center is that here in the Houston area they are backed up about 2 weeks. I didn't want to have to take out 400 discs and then leave it somewhere that long but I guess I'm going to have too. I downloaded a repair manual but I really don't have a clue about the actual electronics. I appreciate you taking the time to answer though!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"