• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Best Value Upgrade for Digital Audio :)

Hi,

For you non Club Rotelers I just wanted to let you know about the effects of a pure Silver Coax Cable made by Doug of www.CatCables.com (forum sponsor and co-founder). Take a look at this thread in Club Rotel and see.

Several others have bought this cable (not on Doug's web site) and some of PMed me, others have posted - all have been very happy to amazed at the improvements in sound. Bottom line -at $US 110 this cable is the best value ever upgrade I did to my system in 25 years - bar none….

I used to believe that ones and zeros were ones and zeros. Then I was talked into trying a good coax - found it made a big difference. Later with my RSP-1098 I went coax hunting - did A/B comparisons and ended up with a top of the line IXOS cable which I liked. Seeing Doug's cable and planning on buying a new DVD made me think - my not try one so I placed my order. When it arrived I played a DVD and then switched over to the new cable. I seriously couldn't believe the difference - it was instantly apparent on the first 3 seconds; Much more detail in the surrounds, much clearer sound, amazing detail everywhere. After further listening I discovered a real expansion dynamic range that is also hard to credit - there is a much greater difference in the volume of loud and quiet sounds, much more separation of each instrument. Similar improvement with my CD player.

Wanting to se just how good the Doug’s cable was - I took the cable to a high end store - it blew away every cable they had... Serious stuff. Only one cable came close – another pure Silver Coax (Kimber D-60) but this didn’t have the solid Silver pin RCAs and (maybe because of this) lost a little in detail and dynamic range.

I ordered more cables... I've shown some friends in the industry. They have been seriously impressed using descriptions like “stunning” and “amazing” and calling other staff over to listen. I can now pick out the sound improvement in advance. They play the material (DVD Music is excellent) and then swap to the new cable. Then the positive comments start flowing. Interestingly the change is repeatable on different systems - for example the change to Hotel California on the Eagles Hell Freezes over is identical on every system I have tried. Way more detail in the surrounds, clearer more transparent guitar, tight deep bass with detail, natural vocals. This seems to be independent of DVD or CD player and Processor or Receiver - so far there has always been a big improvement on every system regardless of brand or price - all that has varied is the ultimate level of sound quality achieved.

I know it seems to makes no sense - since the cable is transmitting binary numbers, but it is repeatable on different systems, DVD players, CD Players, and surround processors. It even works with 4 different digital encoding schemes (Dolby Digital, MPEG, DTS and PCM from CDs). Two of my industry friends have borrowed my spare cable for a few days to try out at home (one still has it!). I expect both to buy one for themselves - they have certainly said that they intend to. I know one is thinking of importing them for good customers...

I now have the cables on all sources (CD, DVD, Digital TV, even a spare for the Denon DV-3910 when it comes out). They are that good. If you use digital audio and support coax connections - I suggest you try one - Lex has a money back policy (or used to). You would need something very special indeed for your existing Coax not to be impressed by this cable. It made a believer out of me...

Geoff

PS - I know this sounds like a commercial or something - it's not (I get no commission and bought the cables like anyone else) - I just really am impressed at the difference and think others who love audio should experience it. You get an improvement with this that nothing (except perhaps a phase locked loop clock regenerating DAC) seems to be able to replicate... And the improvement is on top of whatever quality your speakers and system has...
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Fantastic review!!! And, agreed, he does make some fantastic cables. You did make me wish my Denon accepted coaxials, which unfortunately it doesn't.

Doug's gonna be on cloud nine reading it.
    Keith

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"