X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rich0372
    • Jul 2004

Digital Coax Or Optical

I was wondering witch connection is better for digital connection from dvd to reciever optical {witch i have now}or coax I am upgrading my wires and wanted to see what everyboy thought I've noticed you can spend much more money on coax?? Rich
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

One isn't inherently better than the other but good coaxial cables tend to be more affordable than good optical cables. In other word for the same amount of money you're likely to get a better coax cable. They both have their physical bennefits, coaxial is more durable but optical is unnafected by ground loops or RF interference.

If you're looking for a good digital coax at an (relatively) affordable price, check out this thread:

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• rich0372
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by aud19
      In other word for the same amount of money you're likely to get a better coax cable.Jason
      Thats wierd when I was looking at cables it seemed you could spend much more $$ on coax as the most expensive optical was around $80 or $90 but I seen coax up to $700 Rich

Comment

• Juan Cortez
        • May 2003

I I use both Optical and Coax cables, and I myself cannot hear a difference between them. With the coax you get much more durability, where as the optical, is alot more fragile. If you move your equipment alot, and or always reconnecting equipment IMO the coax would be the better option, because it can take more of a beating.
        Jason

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by rich0372
          Thats wierd when I was looking at cables it seemed you could spend much more $$ on coax as the most expensive optical was around $80 or $90 but I seen coax up to $700 Rich
          I'm not saying there aren't stratosphercally priced coax's (and opticals) but for a given amount of money your likely to get a better cable IMO. Cat Cables Silver Coax would be a good example. Besides I consider glass optical cables as good cables. Most of the moderately priced optical cables you'll see use plastic.

Jason
          Jason

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"