X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Blank
    • Sep 2002

Sub $1K CD Player

I've had my Rega Planet 2000 for over two years now and was curious if there might be something that better suits me out there now. The models I'm looking at are:

Arcam DiVA CD73T
    Rotel RCD-1072

Does anyone have experience with either of them? I listen mainly to rock (60's - present) and associated gear is:

Thanks,
    Bill
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Well for the Arcam that you mention...have you ever heard the Alpha 9 ?

...cause it is the same...

In this price range....not much difference between the 2 but I'd go with the Arcam over the Rotel

A little warmer, but even though it is warmer I find the detailing on the arcam is better than the Rotel...

I know I know Sterophile gave it cd of the year award!

Whatever.....take a listen and see!

While Roetl makes sweet amps and receivers they still need time IMO for the sources....Arcam has that figured out...

I know it's a little $$$ but have you heard Naim cd5i ???

If you want a real upgrade from Rega...THAT's what I would look at....theses others are about the same as what you have....

Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Bill Blank
      • Sep 2002

Bam!

Thanks for the reply. I don't know that I'm looking to upgrade necessarily, more of a lateral move in the right direction for my music tastes and associated equipment.

Bill

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Bill no problem!

What exactly are looking for ?

just to change....or are you looking for a sound in particular ?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

IMO I'd keep your Rega and use it as a transport. For the DAC look at the Benchmark 1 that Jon reviewed here as its very likely the best sound you're going to get for $1000

Comment

• Bill Blank
            • Sep 2002

Bam!

When I bought my Rega my system (Musical Fidelity A3 Integrated & Vienna Acoustics Mozart speakers) was leaning much more to "audiophile music" standards. It left rock recordings (the majority of my collection) sounding dull, just not getting "it" across.

The MF A3 got dumped because I had to integrate the 2-ch system into the HT I was planning. The Viennas & Rega were teamed up with my Rotel separates for nearly 2 years. I've recently made the lateral move from the Viennas to the Paradigms and it's been a definite step in the right direction for me. I'm wondering if the Arcam or Rotel would take me even further in the right direction.

Bill

Comment

• Bill Blank
              • Sep 2002

Andrew,

I'm hoping to put out as little $$$ as possible. By selling the Rega it'd be an even swap (with some negotiation) for an Arcam or Rotel.

Bill

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

After living with the DAC1 for a month or so, I can't emphasize enough how pleased I am with it. IMO, it's the real deal for a fairly reasonable cost. Just wish it was easier for people to hear before buying- I bought mine on faith, after John Atkinson's follow up review in Stereophile, where he compared it as only lacking slightly compared with his $17K Levinson.

I listen to all kinds of music, including classic Yes, folk blues, classic Jazz, fusion jazz, classical, and even more modern pop like Liz Phair and Avril Lavigne, and everthing is clearer, cleaner, less grit and grunge, deeper bass, and more transparent midrange. Old CD's have their limitations, but the presentation is often much cleaner. Like my old Mountain greatest hits disk....

I've been meaning to finish a detailed write up, but work has been such a zoo I've been pressed to find the time. Maybe on the flight to Singapore this weekend...

Regards,

Jon
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Danbry39
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2002

First off, the Rega has tons of fans, which is why I auditioned it when searching for my last CD player. Both are very good, so preference is a matter of choice. I ended up choosing the Arcam 72T. To my ears the Rega rolled off the highs somewhat more than the Arcam, which was more forward sounding with more detail, yet not harsh sounding. The 73T has been reviewed as a step up from the 72T. For what it's worth, the shop I bought mine from (it was a floor model that he was willing to sell for a big discount) insisted that I also take the aftermarket power cord (Transparent) that he had used with the Arcam for demo purposes. When I declined, he gave it to me saying that it would help. I wouldn't know in this case as I've never tried it with the original cord.

If possible, I'd see if a local dealer would be willing to give you a broken in loaner to test them side by side. If not, perhaps he'd be willing to let you bring in your Rega to do so in the showroom. But, yes, I love my Arcam.
                  Keith

Comment

• Bam!
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2004

Bill what you are saying is you are not listening to audiophile recordings anymore......and.....you want a cd player that won' t reveal all the defects in a so so recording like rock....?

If so....From what I have heard...the Rotel would be the winner since it stays stuck in the mids...therefore guitars really sing on this cd player....

Comment

• Bill Blank
                      • Sep 2002

Bam!

Not really...I don't mind hearing the warts. I think the compenents in the system were leaning to the warm/smooth side of things that takes the necessary edge off of rock recordings. That was the primary reason for dumping the Viennas in favor of the Paradigms. The 100's do a MUCH better job of playing rock music than the Viennas. The Mozarts were much too polite for my tastes.

The new room could be having some effect as well but I'm in the process of dealing with that now.

Bill

Comment

• Bam!
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2004

O.K. so

Arcam plays warm....well warmer than Rotel....in that respect you might like Rotel sound better...

You really have to listen to it!

It's a great machine.....just for me I would take arcam over it anyday....

I know I have a Rotel cd player....and am shopping for eith Sugden or Naim cd5i....just haven' t taken the final plunge!

Comment

• luszer
                          • Feb 2003

I have a NAD 521i and Arcam CD72. The Arcam is much more refined of a player but does not lose any detail. There is much more seperation/soundstage with the Arcam. A very smooth and creamy presentation without a compromise on detail and clarity

I am very happy with my choice

Happy listening, Ron

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"