• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

New Denon Killer DVD Players

Hi,

If you're thinking of a new DVD player and fancying a Denon - have a look at this LINK. Denon will be releasing a new range of DVD players over August / Octoer replacing the 2200, 2900 and 3900 with more features / lower price etc.

I'll be waiting and buying one... That 2910 looks mighty tempting as does the 3910... Just depends on the Aussie $ pricing (usually close to double $US)

Even the new low end model
    DVD-1910 $269.00.
    With DVI-D (HDCP) digital video output and selectable scaling, 480p, 720p, or 1080i, and features the new Faroudja FL12301 DCDi chipset
    Looks very tempting....

Geoff
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

DVD-1910 $269.00.
    With DVI-D (HDCP) digital video output and selectable scaling, 480p, 720p, or 1080i, and features the new Faroudja FL12301 DCDi chipset
    Whoa, this is awesome! I'll add one for my bedroom for 250ish.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Lex,

Is this to go with the Sonus Faber system in your bedroom...

Geoff

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Ooooh Jazz is gonna kill me..... :uhoh:

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Jason, just make sure your will says "all HT-related stuff goes to my best bud David Meek in Houston" before Jazz does you in. :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Juan Cortez
            • May 2003

They look like really nice DVD players, I have been wanting to upgrade my DVD player, and it looks like Denon might win .

Here is a link with their new DVD players and receivers. A little off topic, they will have their new flagship receiver the AVR5805, 12 inches high, 90 lbs, and 16 channlels .

New Denon Products
            Jason

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Hi,

Here's some more info from HERE...

In its new line of DVD players, Denon has moved DVI-D digital video output, with HDCP copy protection into lower price points, starting with the DVD-1910, a $269 SRP single-disc player. It has selectable scaling for 480p, 720p and 1080i, uses the Faroudja DCDi chipset and supports WMA playback. Moving up the line, two other new players, the DVD-2910 ($729 SRP) and DVD-3910 ($1,299 SRP) add HDMI (digital audio and video over one connection) output. HDMI will allow DVD-Audio (DVD-A) players to send a multichannel DVD-A signal over a digital connection, but it won't send Super Audio CD (SACD), because it has not yet been approved.

Meanwhile, Denon holds to its own connection, Denon Link, to answer to the problem. Like HDMI, Denon Link can only supports DVD-A, but Jeff Talmudge, marketing manager, says that the company is seeking approval from Sony/Philips, developers of SACD. He notes that, currently, new receivers with Denon Link are capable of receiving digital SACD signals, but that the DVD players cannot send it. Once approval is obtained, Talmudge says consumers can upgrade the DVD players with a CD from the company that would unlock that capability.

The number of connections that accomplish relatively the same task is becoming a burden on manufacturers and a little more than confusing for the consumer, but Talmudge says Denon wants to stay in the middle of it. "We want to include all of it," he says, explaining that the company wants to keep as many connections covered as possible to avoid its products from becoming obsolete. That in mind, several of Denon's products will support both HDMI and DVI for the forseeable future.
              Geoff

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Time to start Club Denon!! :T
                Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• aarsoe
                  • May 2004

Dont understand this - the higher models dont come with the Faroudja FL12301 DCDi chipset??
                  I hope this is an error in the reporting and not fact..

Comment

• Shane Martin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2001

IIRC, The 1910 thru the 5910 use the Faroudja 2301 chipset. I wasn't so sure that the 1910 did but that report seems to say so.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2003

More on 1910 and another good link

Shane,

Another good link with details of the range from 1710 to 3910 http://www.audioholics.com/news/pres...1910player.php and this answers your question... It's got the Faroudja chipset but has lower resoltuon (10 bit instead of 12 bit) Video DACs than the higher end models. Similar minor compromises exist in the Audio area compared to the higher end models - but all in all looks like outstanding value at the price point.
                      DVD-1910: High-End Features in a High-Value Product
                      The DVD-1910 (SRP: $269) brings true high-end DVD player performance to a more attractive price point than ever before. To provide the ultimate in high-quality video and audio playback performance, the DVD-1910 incorporates a wealth of advanced technologies and features. For instance, like the DVD-3910, the DVD-1910 features a DVI-D (HDCP) digital video output which eliminates the digital-to-analog conversions required by other types of video connections and provides for the finest picture quality for today’s newer displays, which support DVI. The DVI output’s selectable scaling, to provide 480p, 720p or 1080i output, enables users to best match the characteristics of their particular digital video display device. To further enhance image quality, the DVD-1910 utilizes precision Analog Devices 10-bit, 54MHz video D/A converters.

In addition, like Denon’s flagship model, the DVD-1910 features the new Faroudja FLI2301 DCDi chipset, which provides a host of leading-edge image-enhancement technologies, such as improved Film Mode 3:2 pulldown detection and deinterlacing, and five Progressive Mode memory settings that enable viewers to fine-tune picture quality to their particular preference. Together, these advanced digital video technologies deliver remarkably clear, high-resolution image quality that is free from picture artifacts.

The DVD-1910 also features High Definition Compatible Digital (HDCD) processing to provide the best sound quality from HDCD-encoded and standard CDs, as well as WMA (Windows Media Audio) playback capability. And like all Denon universal DVD players, it also includes convenience functions such as Kodak and Fuji Picture CD compatibility and a JPEG photo file viewer.
                      Geoff
                      Last edited by Aussie Geoff; 18 July 2004, 06:39 Sunday.

Comment

• Rustynuts
                        • Jun 2004

How do the Denons compare to the Zenith DB318? I would expect Denon to be better, but do the specs support it? Do any of the Denon convert on component, or just DVI?

Comment

• Shane Martin
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Apr 2001

Rustynuts,
                          Just DVI. The upconverting thru component is a big no no. I'm surprised Zenith got in under the radar.

Right now I"m contemplating between the 2910 and the 1910...

Comment

• Drew_W
                            • Dec 2003

Personally, I think the new Denon stuff looks ugly. And, Denon Link is not compatible with the more widespread iLink, so unless you use a Denon receiver, that's useless for you, and it only passes DVD-Audio anyways.

But I will applaud Denon for making an inexpensive scaling player, with Faroudja and DVI output. DVI and HDMI outputs are nice to have as well on the 3910, but based on this info, I'm not going to run out and replace my 2900 just yet.

...unless eCost has some refurbs for cheap...maybe around Christmas.

Comment

• malcky
                              • Jun 2004

Hi folks, this might be a very dumb question, but will ask anyway about the specs of the video d/a conversion (10bit/54mhz vs 12bit/108mhz vs 12bit/216mhz). Does it really matter if you are using the dvi output as its a digital signal out anyway then the pj or scaler is decoding the signal, so my understanding was the video d/a was what to look for when using the component outputs only.

I may have missunderstood how a dvd player works, so thought nows to time to be corrected.

cheers.
                              malcky

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Malcolm, that's how it works with audio signals. Digital outs to a pre/pro/receiver use the pre's DAC while an analog out to the pre uses the source component's DACs. I'd speculate that the same happens in the video world too, but. . . .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• malcky
                                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by David Meek
                                  Malcolm, that's how it works with audio signals. Digital outs to a pre/pro/receiver use the pre's DAC while an analog out to the pre uses the source component's DACs. I'd speculate that the same happens in the video world too, but. . . .

thats the same logic i am using for a dvd player as well, and seeing as i have recently ordered a 10m lioness cable (component & s-video together) from doug (not got it yet though) i thought i would just check.

am i right in saying on the above mentioned dvd players you can only choose the 480, 720 or 1080 via the dvi output or does it allow it on component outs as well.

cheers.
                                  malcky

Comment

• aarsoe
                                    • May 2004

Malcky

Theoritically the higher the samling the better the signal to noise ratio. As alwayes there are quite a few examples of older dvd players having a better picture than new ones - but still in theory higher is better.
                                    The same goes for DA converters. There upsampling pushes the noise higher up, again the idea is far above what the human ear can hear.

Just to really makes things complicated there are however the path of using several converters (both for video and audio) and thereby again getting betting S/N numbers. In fact if you are good at soldering you can piggyback multiple DA converters ontop of eachother - they say that you can do that with up to 16 chips and thereby getting an almost 20 db increase in S/N..

So rule of thumb is higher is better - but let your eye be the judge of that..

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

Also I'm not sure if this would make a difference but I believe DVI is uncompressed digital video information. Meaning the mpeg decoding would already have to be done before the player outputs the uncompressed digital signal to your display.

Jason
                                      Jason

Comment

• Elmac
                                        • Apr 2004

Good news, but i guess my new player will not be black and silver.
                                        Oh well.
                                        I can leave with one odd Componnent.
                                        Elmac
                                        All HT Signals Processed by D2 for Ultimate Experience

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                          • Jan 2002

So... let me get this right... are we saying that Analog Devices ADV-7310 12-bit/216MHz video D/A converters—one for the progressive scan video circuit and one for the interlaced circuit, mean nothing if you are using DVI connections?

Originally posted by Drew_W
                                          Personally, I think the new Denon stuff looks ugly.
                                          Okay... what's so different about them Drew? Am I missing something? They look pretty much the same to me. You know they will be offered in black, silver, and I believe they will even offer gold on the 3910.

BTW... here's the specs for the 3910:

【ビデオ特性】

●コンポジット出力/出力レベル:1Vp-p(75Ω負荷)
                                          ●S映像出力/Y出力レベル:1Vp-p(75Ω負荷)、C出力レベル:0.286Vp-p(75Ω負荷)
                                          ●コンポーネント出力/Y出力レベル:1Vp-p(75Ω負荷)、Pb/Cb・Cr出力レベル:0.7Vp-p(75Ω負荷)
                                          ●D出力/Y出力レベル:1Vp-p(75Ω負荷)、Pb/Cb・Cr出力レベル:0.7Vp-p(75Ω負荷)

【オーディオ特性】

●音声出力/2Vrms
                                          ●周波数特性/DVD:2Hz~88kHz(192kHz Sampling)、2Hz~44kHz(96kHz Sampling)、2Hz~22kHz (48kHz Sampling )、スーパーオーディオCD:2Hz~100kHz、CD・Video-CD:2Hz~20kHz
                                          ●SN比/ DVD/CD:120dB
                                          ●全高調波歪率/0.0008%
                                          ●ダイナミックレンジ/110dB

【その他】

●電源/100V 50/60Hz
                                          ●消費電力/33W(待機時約1W)
                                          ●最大外形寸法/434×137×403mm
                                          ●質量/9.3kg

Comment

• aud19
                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2003

Nice spec's Sonnie!!! :laughat: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Jason
                                            Jason

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Sonnie Parker
                                              So... let me get this right... are we saying that Analog Devices ADV-7310 12-bit/216MHz video D/A converters—one for the progressive scan video circuit and one for the interlaced circuit, mean nothing if you are using DVI connections?
                                              Yup. That's very much the case.

It's a bit ironic. I'm wondering myself if the "peak" performance from one of these players wouldn't be on the analog outputs through a good CRT rig- one without A/D and scaling to some different resolution. But then, I don't believe the Denon's upscale on the component outputs. I wish they did.

The first DVD player I know of anywhere in the world to use the hi rez Analog Devices converters was the Ayre D1- the WSR "Audio Review" of D1 with full analog outputs (instead of just digital transport) occurred in 2002; the base model and upgraded video review was six or more months earlier, and I belive the D1 was introduced in 2001. The progressive model used 14 bit DACs with one bit devoted to sync; Hansen's view is that this was necessary to realize clean interopolation and low level accuracy to true 10 bit performance (fast DAC's have setting time issues and often don't hit the accuracy expected based on number of bits).

Oh, and can you translate the rest of those specs for me? I'm a little rusty reading kanjii.

~Jon
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                • Jan 2002

lol... of all people Jon... I figured you for the one who could translate those for all of us.

I really don't understand why players don't upscale with component... well except for the 318.

I really don't want to have to run a DVI cable through my pipe... that's gonna be aggravating. I knew I shoulda ran one in the beginning. Now I'm gonna play heck getting that DVI end connector thru... if I end up buying the 1910 that is.

Comment

• aud19
                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2003

Sonnie, you could always run a DVI to HDMI cable and just add a DVI adapter to the end. I'm assuming your headache with running DVI is the large end on the cables running through presumably small conduit?

Jason
                                                  Jason

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                    • Jan 2002

Yeah... that's kinda the headache although it's a 3" PVC pipe it has so many other wires in it that I think it would be aggravating to pull the end connector of a DVI cable through.

So I'm assuming a HDMI end connector is much smaller... not familiar with this type cable. Are they expensive?

Comment

• aud19
                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2003

It's interchangeable with DVI except HDMI can also carry audio. It was basically "invented" so DVI could compete more directly with firewire.

In this picture you can see the large DVI connection at one end and the much smaller HDMI at the other.

Jason
                                                      Jason

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                                        Former Moderator
                                                        • Jan 2002

Jason quick question, do you know if the audio will still be sent through coax/optical if HDMI is selected in the menu of DVD plyrs?
                                                        CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• aud19
                                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2003

Dunno, I suppose you'd have to check individual models but I would think so.

Jason
                                                          Jason

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                            • Jan 2002

That HDMI looks almost like USB.

Comment

• aud19
                                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2003

Not dissimilar, HDMI's a bit bigger though...

Jason
                                                              Jason

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                                • Jan 2002

Denon now has their new players with pics, info, and manuals available online.

New Denon Players on Denon's website

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                  • Aug 2000

It's REALLY too bad they don't have upscaling allowed on the component outputs; I'd love the 5900 or 3910 if they supported that. Without it, they're crippled for old analog geezers like me, who at this rate probably won't have a DVI input for the main video source any time in the next ten years.

Sigh....

~Jon
                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                  M8ta
                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                  Isiris
                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                  Calliope
                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul H
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2004

I'm disappointed - I thought you'd be able to just open up the player and "fix" that problem

Paul

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2004

Jon

Surely, you should be able to pick up a scaler from ebay at a decent price now..

Comment

• aud19
                                                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Aug 2003

I've got to say that this scaling is mostly only benneficial to people with native 1280x720 displays. Converting it to 1080i introduces interlacing artifacts and 1080i tends to be better for very slow moving or still images, 480p/720p better for fast motion ie: 99% of what you'll be watching. Why do you think 720p is the preffered sportscasting format? Not to mention it's still upsampled data, save your DVI input for true HD resolutions from HDTV or HD-DVD/BluRay when they show up. I know my Hitachi RPTV displays and scales to (user selectable) 540p or 1080i. 1080i will introduce interlace artifacts 720p should be ok downsampled to 540p but I'd have to compare it to 480p upsampled to 540p and see which is better.

Jason
                                                                        Jason

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 15259

Originally posted by aarsoe
                                                                          Jon

Surely, you should be able to pick up a scaler from ebay at a decent price now..

Yeah, but most of the scalers taking anlalog input don't have especially good A/D, and then there's still the D/A at the output. No point running the output of a 12 bit oversampled noise shaped video DAC (in the Denon's) into an 8 bit video A/D.

The best available path along this line is probably an Ayre DX7 DVD player, with the SDI video output (straight from MPEG decoder) going into an iSCAN HD scaler. Just need to get rid of the wall wart SMPS power supply the iSCAN HD uses...

I've got to say that this scaling is mostly only benneficial to people with native 1280x720 displays. Converting it to 1080i introduces interlacing artifacts and 1080i tends to be better for very slow moving or still images, 480p/720p better for fast motion ie: 99% of what you'll be watching. Why do you think 720p is the preffered sportscasting format? Not to mention it's still upsampled data, save your DVI input for true HD resolutions from HDTV or HD-DVD/BluRay when they show up. I know my Hitachi RPTV displays and scales to (user selectable) 540p or 1080i. 1080i will introduce interlace artifacts 720p should be ok downsampled to 540p but I'd have to compare it to 480p upsampled to 540p and see which is better.

Jason,

Have you actually run the output of a good scaling DVD player into a native 1080i capable display? I don't see anything like what you're talking about above- the Zenth DVB318, for example, de-interlaces the film or video DVD materials, creates progressive frames at 1080P internally, then outputs at 1080i from those frames. It is just as solid on film material in terms of freedom from what we call interlacing artifacts on 480i DVD material as a good progressive scan player or HTPC at 720P- which is what I previously used. Due to the Faroudja chip, even though it's a "cheap" one, it's more solid than any other solution I've tried with video source material. There is none of the combing and scene change artifacts that are so comon with this material through many STB DVD players and nearly all HTPC software players.

As to why upscaling, it's for the same reason as audio- it creates a more accurate mathematical interpolation (if done right) than relying on the natural display roll off, and creates vertical interpolation also.

And personally, even for "real" HD, I prefer 1920X1080i; especially on a digital display, as at the screen width/distance ratios I prefer, the pixel structure of 1280X720 is visible to me (20/15). YMMV. For whatever reason, a lot of my friends with FPTV CRT rigs prefer 1080i, too.

Note these small sections of image from "The Fifth Element", of a sign on a building- which representation is more natural and film like looking to you- both have the same core resolution limitations, but one is upsampled from the native 480P to 1080.

Throw this up on your PC display, then step back a few feet to get the right effect.

Regards,

Jon
                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                          M8ta
                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                          Isiris
                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                          Calliope
                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Drew_W
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Dec 2003
                                                                            • 75

Okay... what's so different about them Drew? Am I missing something? They look pretty much the same to me. You know they will be offered in black, silver, and I believe they will even offer gold on the 3910.
                                                                            Every detail of a Denon audio product is crafted with a single goal in mind: to enhance the entertainment experience. Build your home theater here.

and

Every detail of a Denon audio product is crafted with a single goal in mind: to enhance the entertainment experience. Build your home theater here.

look nothing alike.
                                                                            Last edited by Drew_W; 11 August 2004, 18:44 Wednesday.

Comment

• Drew_W
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Dec 2003
                                                                              • 75

#39
                                                                              Oh and BTW, the 3910 is officially on the Denon website now, as are some of the other new models, complete with those lovely high-res front and back panel photos.

(for those of you that didn't know...)

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                                                • Jan 2002
                                                                                • 2858

#40
                                                                                Drew... those 2 links you posted look identical to me. Maybe you missed the link on the second one?

Comment

• Drew_W
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2003
                                                                                  • 75

#41
                                                                                  Second link fixed. They are now different.

Comment

• Prozakk
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jul 2004
                                                                                    • 104

#42
                                                                                    Denon now has their new players with pics, info, and manuals available online.

New Denon Players on Denon's website
                                                                                    But where's the 2910? I got the wifey's approval to get one once released.

Comment

• Glen
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Dec 2003
                                                                                      • 867

#43
                                                                                      The 2910 isn't listed on the Denon web site yet, but here's a link to the spec sheet.

Denon DVD2910 Spec Sheet

Comment

• Glen
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Dec 2003
                                                                                        • 867

#44
                                                                                        Here's a link to the owners manual.

Denon DVD2910 Owners Manual

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2003
                                                                                          • 518

#45
                                                                                          Im definitely picking up the cheap 1910 when it hits. Itll tide me over so I can wait and see if Parasound actually ever releases something :E

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                                                                                          GameTracker -My List-
                                                                                          Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"