X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharnyo
    • Jun 2004

SACD analog interconnects

Just got a new SACD player - Marantz 8260. Currently, it's setup as 2 channels using my old Monster 300 audio interconnects.

I am thinking of getting more interconnects to get the 5.1 multichannel working. Is there a difference between using the specially-designed SACD interconnects (5.1) or just get 2 more pairs of analog interconnects ? If it doesn't make a difference, is it sonically alright to mix interconnects from different makers ?

Thanks.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by sharnyo
    Just got a new SACD player - Marantz 8260. Currently, it's setup as 2 channels using my old Monster 300 audio interconnects.

I am thinking of getting more interconnects to get the 5.1 multichannel working. Is there a difference between using the specially-designed SACD interconnects (5.1) or just get 2 more pairs of analog interconnects ? If it doesn't make a difference, is it sonically alright to mix interconnects from different makers ?

Thanks.

Well, if you're running multiple speakers, are they identical?

Different interconnects do have their own signature, but it tends to be a lot more subtle than different speakers. I've never heard of any specially designed multi-channel interconnects for 5.1- who's offering those? I'd expect good quality analog interconnects to do just fine. Are you running this through your HT setup into a 5.1 analog input on your receiver or Pre-pro?

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

For the sake of continuity I'd just order a new 5.1 set. I'm sure you can use those other cables somewhere else in the system

Check out the link at the bottom of the page for Cat Cables. Doug will put together some nice cables for ya for a decent price

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• sharnyo
        • Jun 2004

Monster has a 5.1 cables for SACD, and also Wireworld rainbow 5, Van den hul The Bay C5. There are increasingly more manufacturers that cater for these SACD cables.

I just wonder whether these are designed differently. My logic tells me that it shouldn't be different from regular analog interconnects, perhaps maybe for the subwoofer connection for its low freq.

Yes, my speakers are all from the same manufacturers ie. B&W 600 models in a 5.1 HT configuration.

Comment

• theMaximus
          • Jul 2004

SACD/DVD-A cables from Monster Cable is the same as their analog interconnects (400 MKII). As far as I know, when they package it as SACD interconnect set, they are currently available only in 2m length, where as if you bought three separate pairs of 400 MKII, you can by them in other lengths. Another thing is that you don't save any money by buying it as a package at $160 versus buying three pairs of 400MKII (2m length) at $50 per pair. I would save money by buying three separate pairs of 400MKII (1m length) at $40 per pair. Another option is buying Monster's more upscale M series cables (M550i) at $50 per pair, which is what I did. I generally stay away from Monster Cable, but M550i was an exception and got fabulous reviews by some Hi-Fi magazines (not that reviews mean everything).

Or you can get CatCable, Ecosse, or Audio Quest cables, which have very good reputations.
          Last edited by theMaximus; 03 August 2004, 20:08 Tuesday.
          Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"