X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nomad
    • May 2004

im back (cable help)

For those of you who don't remember, and I'm sure there are plenty :W

I ended up with Rotel all around. I checked out all the suggestions at my local high end stereo shop. I was very happy with the performance/price of the Rotel equipment. Unfortunately I was treaded so badly by the salesman, I bought everything on the net (sucks for them).

Rotel 1090 2x380w
    Rotel RSP-1068 7.1 processor

Got some more stuff…but I’m really interested in the cables from the 1090 amp to the B&W 804s.

Please remember I haven’t bought any equipment for the last ten odd years, so I am kind of a cable retard.

The speakers (804s) have 4 bi-wire terminals…but when I asked the very rude salesman at the stereo shop about cable, he said I didn’t need to do a bi-wire hook up and suggested some kind of $125 set of cables that where heavily insulated and had two connectors at the speaker end. That would be in the budget, but I don’t understand. If the speaker needs bi-wire cables how can I just use a normal cable with 2 connections at the end.

I’m very confused. Thanks for all help in advance. Links and pictures are always great, and I am open to all suggestions.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Joe,

Biwiring is simple once you get past "sales speak". You have one set of connectors at the amp/receiver end of the cable and at the speaker end you have two sets of connectors. Of course, your speakers must have two sets of binding posts to accept the two sets of connectors. That's it. The single set of connectors at the amp end - comprised of two separate runs of wire - is split at some point (most likely right at the amp end) into four runs of wire.

Now, if you have a speaker with two sets of binding posts, you DO NOT have to biwire. The speakers will come with a metal jumper for each of the two sides of the connection (red and black). You hook up a "regular" speaker cable that has only one set of connectors (on each end) to the binding posts and the jumpers finish the connection to the second set of posts. If you do biwire, the jumpers MUST be removed.

If your speaker only has one set of posts, you can't biwire - period.

Here's an image of a biwired speaker. Notice the two sets of connectors. I hope this helps.

P.S. Sorry 'bout the poor image quality. I was hurrying a bit.

Attached Files

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Congrats on the gear :T But where did you find a 1068 on the net? 8O Just FYI Rotel does not offer or support any online selling of their products and as such you have no warranty with them. Also, what are you using to power your centre/surrounds?

As for cables, Doug at Cat Cables (see link at bottom of page) should be able to put together some nice options for speaker cables or indeed and interconnects you need, at reasonable prices. As David eluded to you can biwrire but by no means have to. A single "normal" speaker cable will work fine too with the jumper in place between the sets of posts.

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• Dr C
        • Feb 2003

Hi Joe - though you do not have to biwire if you don't want to .... IMHO .... DO IT QUICK.

Many higher end speakers have such connections for a reason - in case folks want to biamp (using 2 sets of amps to provide dedicated power for low/mid/hi frequencies) or biwire. Try it and you'll see that the sound really opens up - I was floored the 1st time I did it h: To me it's one of the single most important tweaks I made to the system.

Since you're have a very nice setup :T . spend some money on speaker cables and make the leap of faith to biwires.

I also echo Jason's comments about getting Lex (Doug) of Catcables to help you out on this. If his Silvercats are any indication, you'd be fine

Comment

• nomad
          • May 2004

ok..sounds like bi wire is the way to go

What brand would everyone suggest. I can spend up to $200 for a good set.

Comment

• nomad
            • May 2004

rotel on the net

aud19 ----- But where did you find a 1068 on the net?

Audiogon provides a marketplace for people to buy, sell, trade, or discuss high-end audio. Audiogon is a community for hifi enthusiasts and audiophiles.

I am not sure how this guy is getting his gear, but It's a sealed box (Rotel tape and all), the warrenty card is inside (saved about $300 also). I'll send in the warrenty card and see what happens.

Comment

• nomad
              • May 2004

aud19

just noticed ... you where the guy that gave me all the GREAT advice in the last post

Comment

• nomad
                • May 2004

shees to many questions

aud19 -------- what are you using to power your centre/surrounds?

sorry aud19....got the RMB-1075 (think you suggested that also ) from same guy. Excellent deal...saved $200.
                If no warrenty, I'll just have to rely on the rotel name and hope all is well.

Comment

• nomad
                  • May 2004

Cat Cables

checking out now!

Comment

• nomad
                    • May 2004

last question

I am talking with the cat cable guy. He is very very nice. I am very impressed. He wants to know what kind of connector the 804s and rotel 1090 amp take. Bannan connector?

I am very confused.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Doug is probably wanting to know if they accept bannana or spades etc and which you would prefer. I'd probably go banana myself but it' up to you...

Jason
                      Jason

Comment

• nomad
                        • May 2004

bannana

Yea, Doug seems like a very good guy. I think we are ok doing the bannana

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Yes, after finding out what gear he has, I think we will be fine. The 1090 is a beast of an amp, and I am sure accepts Bananas. The 804s also seem quite nice, and I think would do banana. So, I think we are fine. Just waiting to know what length nomad, and we'll get you a quote out.

thanks,
                          Doug
                          Doug
                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2003

Lex,

Heres a LINK to the back panel of the RB-1090.

Like the newer model RB-1080 It even has two sets of bindin posts and accepts dual bananna plugs for bi-wiring - which (based on store listening and B&W's on-line advice) the Nautilus 804's thrive on.... :T

Geoff

Comment

• nomad
                              • May 2004

yea I can't remember who told me...I think it was somehere here...that the 1080 was good amp but the speakers would really come to life on the 1090.

Comment

• nomad
                                • May 2004

Last question (I think)

Working with Doug on cables now, but can't seem to see how this all hooks up.

I have the 1090 amp. It has four post on the back for each channel.

The 804's (also 4 post for each speaker) say in the users manual to hook up the lower pair of post to the bass, and upper pair to midde range and tweeter.

Anyone have a cute which post on the 1090 would be the bass, and which would be the mid range, tweeter?????

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Either should be fine they're simply two of the same output for bi-wiring as far as I know.

Jason
                                  Jason

Comment

• nomad
                                    • May 2004

Great, thats kind of what the guy i bought it from also said. I wanted a second opinion.

<<<<The two sets on the back of the 1090 are wired in parallel, it does not matter to which set you wire the bass>>>>

Comment

• nomad
                                      • May 2004

power filter

how does everyone feel about these power filter things.

I saw one at home depot for $99, and wondered if it actually helped.

Comment

Working...
                                      😀
                                      😂
                                      🥰
                                      😘
                                      🤢
                                      😎
                                      😞
                                      😡
                                      👍
                                      👎
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"