Which player to choose, which player to choose.....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goskers
    • Jun 2004

Which player to choose, which player to choose.....

Hi All,

I am a fairly new member here and have been more than happy with the support that is given on this forum.

I come with a question that does not have an absolute answer. I am in the market for a new digital front end. I am mostly concerned about redbook playback but hirez potential would be nice.

My glass ceiling is about 1500 and I really don't want to go that high. I have owned players from Stan Warren, a SN tubedac and the toshiba 3950 with mods. I would love to go for another modded player but am not sure which one and who to take it to. I have purchased a pioneer 563A because it supposedly has a great transport. Can you guys point me in a good direction as I want to stretch my money as far as it can possibly go.

Modders that I am considering are Dan Wright, Ric Shultz and Alex P.

An all-in-one box would be optimal but I am not totally against a transport, dac setup.

Thanks

wasser :huh:
  • Al Garay
    • Jan 2004

For $1500, I would go with this:

Transport
    * NAD T562 DVD on sale $479
    * NAD C542 CD on sale $349

DAC: Benchmark DAC1 $975

By the way, the NAD dvd have excellent video and music performance without the DAC.

Al

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by goskers
      I have purchased a pioneer 563A because it supposedly has a great transport. Can you guys point me in a good direction as I want to stretch my money as far as it can possibly go.
      Hi Wasser, I think Al nailed one of the best options with the DAC1. If you like the transport qualities of the Pioneer, then coupling it with what seems to be the hands-down best DAC under $4000-5000 frees up $500 for you to use elsewhere. For further information look at this thread Benchmark #1 and this thread Benchmark #2 on the DAC1.

Good luck and keep us posted. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Hey duders!

just wanted to say good recommendation there AL....

There's a review on the DAC here
        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Bam!
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2004

Also....

I just wanted to add.....as a transport the new LG 7832 is sweet...I have it....upconverts to 1080i.....has DVi.....great 480p....weak 720p....dunno why but it does...

and then there is always a used Denon 5900....I've heard and seen it in person...quite a machine....
          Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• goskers
            • Jun 2004

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help so far. I have been considering the dac 1. I can not seem to find a very good price for it so far but I am still looking.

Do any of you guys have any experience with any modded equipment? Is this not the best route to go?

Does the transport become less of an issue with the benchmark because of the low jitter that is available with the dac 1?

Thanks,

wasser

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I'd agree with the DAC1 recomendation and likely pair it with some universal DVD player like the Denon 2200 etc.

If you do decide to get a modified player the guys at Underwood are fantastic to deal with and they mod a variety of players incl. the highly touted Denon's

Comment

• Al Garay
                • Jan 2004

Thank Jon Marsh for recommmending the DAC1.

Let us know if you find a good deal.

Al

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

I haven't seen any "good" deals on this, i.e., significant discounts. It is sold by a number of Pro Audio internet dealers, but they're pretty much all the same price. For me, it came down to the overall "value proposition"; was there anything better available at similar price, or close to the same price, or as good for less money, and my conclusion was no. It's been re-inforced since having the chance to listen to it extensively, after buying sight unseen and unheard.

I am still working on a review writeup, just to convey better the "nuance" of my listening experience. Actaully, it's not very "nuance". Or, that is, not subtle.

BTW, Doug Sax of the Mastering Labs has bought a bunch of these for his new studio he's building...

If I was a hard core gear head and fan of Stereophile Magazine (which I'm not, really), I'd just say that any DAC that's good enough for John Atkinson to spend his own money on for the review sample, is probably good enough for me.

Becuase of it's excellent performance even when driven by TOSLINK PC output, I'm probably going to get a second one to use for building a music server in either one of my HTPC's or a new small form factor PC. I'm a little concerned that I can yeild the same audio quality, but if I can get close with the "ease of use" factor of HD storage and playlists, it should be nice.

Regards,

Jon
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• goskers
                    • Jun 2004

Thanks guys,

I guess the benchmark dac 1 is a good option for the backend but now how about the front. I do have a pioneer 563 that is supposed to be a good transport. Should I go ahead and get some PS mods done so it is a really darned good trannie or should I look elsewhere as in a philips or denon or the like. The newer dvd type players with sdram are supposed to be pretty good as transports as they have very, very low jitter.

How much can a transport affect the sound anyways?

Thanks,

wasser :T

Comment

• Al Garay
                      • Jan 2004

Very easy... try your Pioneer first. If you are not happy, then worry about it.

Al

Comment

• goskers
                        • Jun 2004

True, Thanks AL!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"