X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

To Spike Or Not To Spike ?

My Prattquake sub was shipped to me with the spike isolators attached. I had never used spikes before so went ahead and set up the sub as is. However, after playing LOTR Return Of The King, I could hear the sub rattling during the extreme low end scenes, of which there are plenty in this film. I also thought I heard some rattling during the U571 depthcharge scenes, but it wasn't as bad as the LOTR scenes so I just ignored it, but couldn't ignore the problem with Return Of The King. At first I thought perhaps I was running the sub with the gain too high and made a correction, but that didn't make any difference. The same rattles occurred during the same scenes. Now my HT has a carpeted concrete floor and no sub floor. So I was wondering if perhaps the isolating spikes were the culprit. Well I went ahead and removed them and low and behold, the rattle was gone. Anyone else ever run into this problem with spikes ?
    My Homepage!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

George there should have been four nuts that came with that sub that I taped to the side of the box. If you screwed them down tight against the feet they shouldn't rattle. That said you might not notice much of a difference with them on or off so if its just easier to live with them off then go for it.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Andrew, yeah the nuts were tightened. I think the weight of the sub was driving the spikes through the carpet and resting directly on the concrete. During the scenes I mentioned, when the spikes were on I could place my hand on the cabinet and feel the whole thing shaking violently. With the spikes off I can feel what you would normally feel when a subwoofer is being driven hard, but there was no violent rumble or rattle. I replaced the spikes with 1" square 1/4 " deep rubber pads. Everything is great now.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

"Sounds" good :W

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

George,

Your problem is not unique. Many people with high output subs have notice this same thing. The majority have removed them and found no audible difference. My SVS came with them and I've never installed them.
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Yaeh, John, the spikes were something new to me so I didn't know they could cause a problem. Actually, the bass seems even more powerful now that the spikes have been removed.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Actually, the bass seems even more powerful now that the spikes have been removed.
              Hmmmm, that's interesting! I've never heard of anyone getting that kind of response. However, more output for free has got to be a good thing!!! :B
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

To Spike Or Not To Spike ?
                That was the big question about the punch at parties in college. In that situation, people claimed sounds were louder when it WAS "spiked". (Especially the next morning.) :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

:rofl: Ooooh it's Friday alright! The bad jokes are a flying! :lol:

Jason
                  Jason

Comment

• Juan Cortez
                    • May 2003

I added spikes to my sub, the greatest benefit I have with the spikes is that they give my sub more stability, than when they were with out the spikes. I can adjust my spikes, so even if the floor in not entirely level, I can adjust them so the sub, stays in place. Its really a matter of preference. I only use them mainly for more stability.
                    Jason

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Burke,

That was a good one!

Juan,

That is the reason they are included. I guess I've never pumped enough watts though mine, to need it's spikes in place (mental note to self: get a 300w amp for sub!). :B

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

John, I too was surprised that there was more bass with the spikes removed. Mind you, the difference is subtle, and may be the affect of the sub interacting directly with the room without any isolation. I am also getting some vibration on the walls too now that wasn't there when the spikes were attached. Not bad vibration, mind you, just something you can feel with your hand that I couldn't feel before. Dunno, as audio has never been my thing. If it sounds right, I just go with the flow.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                          • Jan 2002

I remember those scientist at Velodyne told me explicitly not to use spikes on my sub. I called thinkin' I was supposed to get spikes... not sure why I was thinkin' this but they stated I would get better response by not using spikes.

There was a long thread about spikes and subs I read somewhere too. It's been a long time ago but the consensus was don't use them.

Comment

• John Holmes
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

George,

Well, if your happy I'm equally satisfied! :B It's great when something so simply works to our advantage. And when it's free...even better!!!

I think if you can now feel the vibrations upon touching the walls, it is pressurizing the room just as it should.

Sonnie,

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"