X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • asalvari
    • Jun 2004

Speakers for Arcam AVR300

Hi,

I recently acquired an Arcam AVR300, however I do not have any speakers for this amp to drive. I was hoping for some advice on somefloorstanding speakers that sounds nice, and may complement the amplifier.

I have listened to quite an array of speakers so far, and nothing got me really excited. I only found that I do not like the metal tweeters (b&w comes to mind). The main idea is to get speakers that are musical, especially on low volume.

(
    speakers I have listened to:
    dynaudio audience 62
    dynaudio audience 72
    b&w 705
    b&w 704
    Kef Q (something)
    Visonic 602
    )

Thanks
    Andon
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by asalvari
    Hi,

I only found that I do not like the metal tweeters (b&w comes to mind). The main idea is to get speakers that are musical, especially on low volume.

(
    speakers I have listened to:
    dynaudio audience 62
    dynaudio audience 72
    b&w 705
    b&w 704
    Kef Q (something)
    Visonic 602
    )

Thanks
    Andon

One thing to be careful about is drawing conclusions about the speakers (as your comment above) without really being sure about the upstream components. Especially if you're listening to average digital sources, blaming the speakers for the sound may not be identifying the correct culprit.

Average to mediocre digital sources are the bane of musical fidelity (and I don't mean the brand!

For selecting speakers, it's actually a good idea to listen to them with source gear that's "out of their league", so that at least the quality of the source gear won't cause you to try to use the speakers as "tone controls" for the source equipment. Then, the challenge is finding a component within your budgetary means that comes closest to the naturalness and fidelity of the "high priced spread", while perhaps making sacrifices in less essential areas, like cosmetics, or other features less critical. Use recordings you're familiar with but have heard to good effect on "higher end" systems.

Another factor is room setup- often speakers are not setup properly at a dealer- optimum distance from wall/floor, not to close to other items (such as other speakers!)

Hope these suggestions help a bit. Good luck finding gear that matches your desires and budget.

Regards,

Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

One of the only moderately priced soft-dome speaker companies I like is Totem Acoustic. It's only one suggestion but it's a place to start.

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Yeah, there's some Totem Acoustic models I like. Such as the Forest...

It uses a Dynaudio "clone" woofer, the HiVi D6.8, which I used in a system for my daughter...

The HiVi woofer has a 3" voice coil, good power handling, and very nice bass extension in a moderately small box. The tweeter used in the Totem Forest appears to be an LPG26T, which is, guess what folks, a Titanium dome tweeter. Pretty nice one, too, for the $39 you can buy them for on the DIY market. If I hadn't already had some VifaXT25's around, I probably would have used it in my daughter's speakers.

There are some great soft dome tweeters out there (think Seas Excel Millenium series), but there's more metal domes I've found that are pistonic to above 20 kHz than soft domes.

Regards,

Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Well personally I'd go for the Shaman :P They're only something like $13,000! 8O :drool:

They're Titanium dome but Totem does have some fabric dome models like:

STTAF

ARRO

& MITE

If you like the B&W sound except for the tweeters perhaps you should also give some Energy Veritas or Connoisseur at try. Personally I found them to have a similar sound to B&W's but with a less spitty/aggressive tweeter while still maintainging crisp airy highs. They tend to have a bit more forward soundtage compared to B&W's as well. PSB makes nice neutral speakers as well.

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• asalvari
            • Jun 2004

Hey, Thanks Guys!

I will try the Totems and Energy , PSB as well.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"