X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marco10
    • May 2004

To Axiom or not to Axiom

Hey fellow Audiophiles! I am looking to get a new set of HT speakers. I currently have JBL's Northridge Series ... 2 N26, 2 E30, a center EC25 and a Velodyne CHT 12" sub. I really enjoy the sound these speakers produce. I have heard about Axiom speakers and have seen that they are very nice looking speakers. Do they sound as good as they look? Is JBL a better speaker? I don't know. Maybe someone out there could shed some light on this.
    :righton:
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hmmm, interesting post. I'm sorry, but I can't help with a comparison as I've never heard the Axioms.

Just out of curiousity though, if you really like your current speakers, what area(s) are you looking to improve upon, and why?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'd take a drive over to see Marc at www.audioshop.on.ca and audition the Axioms and see what you think...though there may well be a dealer in TO as well

Comment

• jedwards
        • Jun 2004

Just ordered a set of Axioms...

Hi,

I was originally looking at RBH sound as they sound very nice, but after looking into the axioms I thought I would give them a try out. Axiom has a thirty day tryout period, I was assured I could return them if I was not impressed. I will say this, the price seems too good to be true, I ordered 2 bookshelf speakers (M22) with stands and a sub (no room for towers) for about half of the RBH bookshelves alone.

I will post a review after I get them delivered and can compare them.

Comment

• jedwards
          • Jun 2004

After a few days listening...

I ordered a 2.1 setup, not bothering with a full HT setup in my little apartment, with plaster walls running the hidden cables is just not worth the trouble for me. I am more of a music listener anyhow. The M22's and 125 sub were delivered ontime and in good shape. I spent about two hours working on the speaker placement, than started to listen.

I started with some classical music (Rodrigo) to get a feel for the speed and imaging and I have to say I was very impressed. The midrange is exceptionally clear for a speaker in this price range.

Then I switched to some NIN - the axioms were a bit too bright. I decided to let them break in a bit before continuing, and added some dampening material to the room (actually my wife picked up some pillows and a rug). Not very scientific, but it actually made a noticeable difference in a very hard room.
          After more listening I am very impressed with the M22's for natural instruments, they are okay with more electronic music. I may change to a warmer amplifier down the road.

The 125 sub is good for music and pairs well with the M22's, but a bass fiend may need more of a pop for HT use. I found the bass to be very tight, not much boom at all - I have the sub on a gramma, and away from a corner.

Funny you mention the look of the axioms, I think that may be the biggest problem with them. I think the finish looks like cheap wallpaper - no depth whatsoever on the matte finish - reminds me of the wood panel wallpaper someone started selling in the 80's. I am a little weird about wood grain - not everybody would have this reaction. I will be testing out the 30 day return policy - and I would like to get an alternative finish, but the finish may end up costing more than the speakers. If that is the case, I may need to find some other choices.

I would try them out - 30 days in your listening evironment is hard to beat at any price, and the speakers sound excellent. You will find you hear things you have not heard before compared to the JBL's.

Good luck!!

Comment

• sethk
            • Jul 2004

You could also expand your choices by check out the used marketplace at Audiogon for stuff that cost more new.
            For monitors check out:
            Paradigm Studio Ref 20 or 40s (version 3)
            Green Mountain Audio Europa
            Monitor Audio Gold Ref 10 (GR10)
            B&W 705

Not sure what your budget is, or I'd zone in on my suggestions.

Comment

• PiDD
              • Aug 2003

I will throw a plug in for the Onix Rockets

I have the 750 fronts and the 550 backs. I really cant say enough about the sound and look quality of this speaker.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

PiDD you have the Onix? I'd really love to hear those one day as they're fairly similar to my M8a's

Comment

• PiDD
                  • Aug 2003

I was REAL close to going DIY. I love working in the shop. After much reading I realized that box constuction is such a small part of the picture.

I did a LOT of auditioning but came to B&W 803's or the Onix Rockets. The Rockets being 95% the B&W (to my ears) at 1/3 the price it was a no brainer. I went with the 750 fronts and 550 rears and I really like the sound.

Andrew .. anytime you want to hear em let me know.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

It'll be interesting to compare them to my speakers...though our rooms are very likely much different from each other

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"