X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eddiem67
    • Jun 2004

Amp recommendation for Sadhara

Ok I have this sweeet a$$$$$$ sub, I want to put about 1000 watts to it. Can anyone recommend me an amp. cheap or expensive, as long it is clean power.
    My Car Audio
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

A lot of folks go out and buy a pretty serious subwoofer with great Xmax and the attendent relatively low efficiency, then try to low ball the amplifier, often going with a relatively "lightweight" pro amp that has lots of watts (rated) per the dollar.

With my experience on amps for full range speakers, my feeling is that a really good solid power supply is quite necessary for tight, deep, NATURAL sounding bass.

In your shoes, I'd consider shopping Audiogon for a good used amp, such as Bryston, Aragon, etc. Just my 0.02. Not every one is a nut case like me, and likes bridged Aragon 8008BB or Palladium monoblocks as sub amps, but they sure do grab hold of a big sub and don't let go (Stryke HE15, for example).

Many other good choices out there, though, so don't be afraid to shop around.

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Simple --- Bryston 7B SST.
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I'm using a Samson S1000 which is one of the sub amps SVS is selling on their site. I got mine used for very cheap and it seems to do a nice job with my IB but as Jon points out its not the be all and end all for power amps...but given a restricted budget if I'm going to spring for a Aragon amp it sure won't be powering my sub :B

Comment

• eddiem67
          • Jun 2004

Thanks guys, anybody else, these amps are nice but pricey, but it is exactly what I am looking for, since my rack is open and I dont want anything with a fan built in (noise). Are there any model that are cheaper out there, I am willing to go down to 600-700 watts.
          My Car Audio

Comment

• aarsoe
            • May 2004

My experience is a little different. Sure - you can get very good D class power amps, but a well built amp with lots of current will do the same trick with a lot less wattage.

So unless you can find a ice power module (and they are not sold seperatly) I would recommend to find two of the old Marantz MA700 power amps (mono) and bridge them.
            They even have the bridging built in so it is very easy to do.
            Should be a cheap and very good sounding solution.
            You should be able to find them on e-bay for a couple of hundreds each..

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"