X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbank
    • Jun 2004

Interconnect cable question.

Hi all,

(New to the forum, so not sure if this post is in the proper place.)

I have some Transparent Link 200 cables that connect my pre/pro to my amp.

My (silly) question is this, what side does the `bump' go on? Eg, is the bump supposed to be closest to the pre/pro side or the amp side? I see the arrow on the bump pointing to one direction, but I'm not sure what that arrow is meant to represent.

Thanks in advance!
    --
    Steve
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Arrows are intended to go with signal flow, pre-pro to amp. source to prepro. but when in doubt, see which way sounds best. There's not much else to this regardless of brand. That is the definition of directional.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Since you're the cable expert, I always wondered... what makes a directional cable directional? Well, besides the little arrows.

I know some cables have the shield connected on one end only to prevent ground loops, but other than that, it's just a conductor, right? The electrons can flow in either direction, unless it's a semiconductor. And as far as I know, cables aren't made from semiconductors.

When you build a directional cable, how do you determine which end is which? Is the whole spool directional?

KJP

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

As opposed to the floating shield, some have a grounded at one end, grounded through a small cap at the other end. At the moment, I have forgotten which end is which, though, and I am on the wrong computer to check which is which.

BB

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Some wire is directionally indicated, meaning an arrow facing one direction right on the shell. What does this mean? Difficult for me to speculate for a manufacturer. It may mean the direction it is annealed, for poured conductors, the direction it is poured, the direction it is extruded (covered), maybe.

It is true electrons can flow in either direction. That doesn't mean flow cannot be optimized in one direction.

Shielded at the source is the commone way for shielding, meaning the source end is connected to ground, but the other end is not, or is connected with some electronic device to hopefully trap RFI/EMI noise.

Aside from that, a Cable Cooker is supposed to enhance signal flow in the direction cooked. That doesn't mean it won't conduct the other direction. But it may not sound as good, at least in theory. I use the cooker, but I have not put it through rigorous testing, blind or otherwise.

That's all I have to say about this.
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• brucek
            HTG Expert
            • Aug 2000

I'll give you my take on directional cables.

You have to remember that the signal on an audio cable is alternating current (AC). This means it swings both positive and negative. If the signal is allowed to only pass in one direction, then unfortunately the AC signal would be rectified. You wouldn't like to hear the sound that results from that. Any modification of the signal in a specific direction would alter the signal and the resultant sound - so of course that isn't what directional cables are all about. It has to do with reducing noise - but the science behind it is somewhat dubious.

If you disassemble a directional cable, you'll find that the coax has a twisted pair (two wires) in its core (instead of the usual single conductor) surrounded by the shield. The latter being the accepted method of transmitting a single ended, low level signal across a high impedance connection. This single core coax is a perfect cable to do the job. The center wire carries the signal on its core and the grounded shield provides a current carrying return path to complete the circuit and protect the core signal. A perfect situation. Why upset this situation with running two core wires and a disconnected shield. It provides no advantage.

The circuit of a directional cable is completed by connecting one conductor of the 'pair' to the center pin and the other conductor of the 'pair' to the case ground of the RCA connector. Now you have your required completed loop circuit. In a conventional interconnect the signal loop consists of the center conductor with a return path through the shield.

In a directional cable the shield surrounding the 'pair' is connected only on one end to the case ground of the RCA. The rather weak theory is that any RFI/EMI will be picked up by the shield and passed to connected ground end. You'll find the arrow pointing away from the shield connection point. Again, the theory is that the arrows point away from the source.

Well, as you've likely guessed if you've taken even a first year electronics course, you know the theory is flawed. Because, even if you did buy into the theory that electrons will flow in an open ended disconnected wire attached to ground at one end, and you believed that the shield will transfer the noise it picks up to the end of the cable where the shield is connected to ground, then what would stop this noise from travelling in the ground conductor of the 'pair' inside the cable, over to the equipment it's connected to. Well, nothing of course.

There's plenty of anecdotal evidence that directional cables work, so I won't refute that. For some people they seem to provide some benefit. :roll:

brucek

Comment

• sbank
              • Jun 2004

thx

Thanks brucek and lex (et al).

It looks like (as always), it is best to just try it and see how it sounds!
              --
              Steve

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"