X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazznsoccer
    • Apr 2004

What 5.1 speakers for <$13K

For a budget of around $13,000 I'm looking for a good set of 5.1 speakers - mostly for audio but also fill in for HT use.

I have auditioned The B&W 802s and feel they are worth the upgrade over the 803s. I also compared the 802s to Thiels and preferred the B&W. Likewise preferred B&W over the Martin Logans.

What else are people looking at for this MAX price range for the whole 5.1 setup? I've heard great things about the Revel Studios but that 5.1 setup is considerably more.

For the surrounds I'm thinking the SCM-1 or the 805s and the HTM1 over the HTM2 for the center.

The ASW850 for the sub or maybe save some money here and go with the SVS 20-39PC plus sub. Anyone compared these for music (music is much preferred over peel the wallpaper effect some posters thrive on).

I've heard the 7.1 pitch but think I'll be content for the near term with 5.1.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Consider the SVS PB2-Plus or PB2-Ultra

JazznSoccer,

If you are thinking SVS subs - consider the PB2-Plus or even the PB2-Ultra (they'll stain this to match your B&W Nautilus if you like). They are much more comparable in sound volume and quality to the ASW850... The list on the ASW is US $3,000. The list on the PB2-Plus is $1199 + $99 shipping ...

Geoff

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'm pushing Aerial Acoustics today. . .

7B mains - $4,500
      CC3B center - $1,600
      SR3 surrounds - $3,200
      SW12 sub - $4,500

I can attest to the performance of the 7B's (as I own a pair) and Lex'll chime in on the SW12, I'm sure. The sound of the 7B's is just what I wanted - clean, clear, detailed, but not too hot on top, good non-bloated bass, excellent mids. Build quality to die for. One caveat tho': these aren't the most efficient speakers and perform even better with a strong amp. The prices I've listed are MSRP for the black finish - the rosewood (my choice) will set you back a bit more, but it's worth it IMO. A little judicious negotiating with your dealer should put you in the rosewood (or other upscale finish) for right at $13K.

Good hunting and keep us posted.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Don't forget about reputable used, or demo gear. Sometimes, you can buy a lot more for your money. Yes, you don't smell new, and yes, you do have to be careful when buying from individuals, but sometimes, you can find dealer deals. Example?

I bought an Aerial SW-12 demo for 2600 from a dealer. Full warranty even. Since it was in Georgia, shipping was not a whole lot, but since out of state, I paid no taxes.

I've also purchased used Sonus faber Concertos (perfect condition), 65% of retail with stands, Extremas 50% of retail, Mark Levinson 336 amp 50% of retail, slightly used Samsung high end DVD-HD1000 maybe 80% of retail, but really a new player. The point is if you shop smart, you can sometimes save a LOT of cash on gear nicer than you may have afforded otherwise.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

At $13k you owe it to yourself to audition many makes... try these:

Dali
          Joseph Audio
          Totem
          Vandersteen
          Merlin
          Vienna
          Sonus Faber
          NHT
          Monitor Audio

Subs: any of the Big Three online makes is a good value -- SVS, Hsu, Adire... Adire is reputed to be the most 'musical' of the bunch, but they all deliver... I've spent time with the Hsu, and it leaves nothing to be desired... as stated above -- get a big one.

B&W make fine speakers, but they're not the last word... quality loudspeakers come in lotsa tasty flavors... auditioning with that kind of budget has got to be the most pleasant task in all of hifi.
          greg (gd to you)
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• LEVESQUE
            • Oct 2002

Don't forget the new Paradigm Signatures also.

I own a pair of S8, a C5 and 2 pair of S2. And I did compare it with almost everything out there in the 10K$ range, and they were (IMOH, to my ears) the most transparent and better sounding speakers I have heard.

Total cost around 12K$. Plus a good sub from SVS, and you should be at 13K$.

When I bought my S8, my dealer had a pair of Verity Audio Sorastro (MSRP 50K$) for another customer, and we did make a listening session just for fun. And believe me, the verity Audio were not 12 times better then the S8 for 12X the price I've paid for them!... and far from it!
            To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

The Dynaudio Contour series would be easily had for under that and combined with an SVS PB2 Ultra you'd have a nice system. The PB2 Ultra should pretty much trounce anything for the money. Unless you can get an Aerial Sw12 for the same price as Lex I'd go that route and never look back. It also has a built in parametric eq to remove room node issues.

Dali's look interesting as well.

Comment

• brucek
                HTG Expert
                • Aug 2000

mostly for audio but also fill in for HT use
                That's the important statement. I'm going to make a suggestion that is a little different than the one's you'll usually receive.

It would seem that you care about the music more than HT. Home theater on a good day isn't about critical listening. Stereo music is what you enjoy, so put your money into that. Buy two really, really good stereo speakers and don't worry about the HT part too much - you can work on that later. Your budget is $13K, so put the lions share into two main speakers.

Myself, I listened to a lot of stereo speakers and ended up with a set of ProAc Response 3.8's. These have been replaced now by the newer model Response D38's. These speakers cost about ~C$11,000. Seems like a lot until you hear them. Put your money into good stereo speakers - you won't regret it.

Take some time to listen to mains in the $5K range, then listen in the >$10K range. Quite a difference.

Keeping within your $13K budget, you might match the D38's with a ProAc CC2 which costs around ~C$2400. Beautiful center speaker.

Worry about a sub and surrounds later, now that you have a killer stereo and a matched center.

I've heard the 7.1 pitch but think I'll be content for the near term with 5.1
                Very smart move..... :T

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"