X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GSamF
    • Mar 2004

2 channel vs Multi Channel SACD

I have a 2 channel SACD player (Sony DVP-S9000es) which I truly enjoy.

I have tried to do my homework on whether all Multi channel SACD's are recorded also with a two channel SACD mix (not redboook). From my searching I have seen a couple places infer that they do, but no place that definitely says that each Multi channel SACD has a 2 channel SACD layer/mix as well.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks,
    Sam
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Oh goody, someone else here who has the 9000ES...

Well, all multi-channel SACDs are supposed to have a stereo track as well, since SACD, unlike Dolby Digital, doesn't support downmixing. However, I've stumbled across a disc that, though it's marked as both stereo and multichannel, I think they forgot to include the stereo track, because I can't play the SACD layer on my 9000ES, but if I try it in a multichannel player at the store it plays fine.

That disc is Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, on hybrid SACD. If you have a copy of that disc, think you could try it in your 9000ES?

Comment

• GSamF
      • Mar 2004

So theoretically ALL SACD's have a stereo track. Good to know.

Sorry, don't have that CD, but if I ever run across it I will try and let you know.

Sam

Comment

• dave
        • Aug 2003

wanted to let you know that the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road does play
        all three ways on my machine
        Dave...

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

It's likely just due to the fact you have an older machine... I had an old Toshiba DVD player (one of their first progressive scan units, cost me almost $1000 Canadian new :E ) It was a great player but had some quirks like on the Holy Grail DVD no matter what I did it would turn the subtitles on :x I'd turn them off and as soon as it hit the next chapter they'd be back on. Man was that frustrating! :evil: I did some digging and it turns out studios had added features and functionality to discs that my player had never planned for, as such it didn't support some things and I got the odd glitch like above. Sounds like when they made that particular disc, the information is written in a way your player just doesn't recognize...

I guess I know what your first upgrade will be now eh Kevin

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by aud19
            It's likely just due to the fact you have an older machine...
            It plays every other SACD I've tried just fine though. But you're right, it could just be a compatibility glitch.
            I guess I know what your first upgrade will be now eh Kevin
            Yeah, my receiver! :lol:

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Well my Toshiba played pretty much every other disc fine too. But Holy Grail and it's subtitles...I still get nightmares 8O

The funny part is the first time I tried to watch it I thought it might be some wacky part they'd added to the movie, it seemed like something they might do :lol: Aaaaah Monty Python :rofl:

Jason
              Jason

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"