X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

2-channel amplifier or two mono block ?

Hi,
    What the difference between mono block and two channel amplifier? I have an a/v. so the question is whether i should get a 2-channel amp. or 2 mono blocks? are they working the same ? Has anyone tried out Outlaw mono block?

thanks.
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Well, two monoblocks would each have their own power supply, so there would be more reserve and less crosstalk between them, resulting in better imaging. But some 2-channel amps have separate power supplies for each channel so they're basically two monoblocks in one package.

I've never heard the Outlaw monoblocks but I expect they're pretty nice given the quality of their multi-channel amps.

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Kevin, you beat me to it. :

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

I am sure some will disagree, but for me one added benefit would be shorter speaker cables and the fact that you can place each amp next to your speakers.
        Makes placement easier..

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by aarsoe
          I am sure some will disagree, but for me one added benefit would be shorter speaker cables and the fact that you can place each amp next to your speakers.
          Makes placement easier..
          Shorter speaker cables, but longer interconnects. I don't see much benefit there.

Comment

• Bob
            • Jul 2000

"Shorter speaker cables, but longer interconnects. I don't see much benefit there."

The arguement is that interconnects carry miniscule current compared to speaker cables therefore if one or the other needs to be long, better the interconnect. It is one of the differences that has a logical arguement but, is dubious in practice. It is one of those differences that you pretty much have to convince yourself that you can hear a difference.

As to mono block v.s. stereo amp. Depends on the amps in question.

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Well, my argument is that a long interconnect is more likely to pick up noise or interference than a long speaker wire, and miniscule voltages are more affected by the capacitance etc. of a long cable than the higher power levels that speaker wires carry. Or maybe it isn't, I don't know! :??

Also, speaker wire tends to be cheaper per foot than interconnects. Depending of course what interconnects and speaker wire you choose to use.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Exactly Kevin I couldn't imaging what Doug would charge me for a pair of 20 foot long SilverCats :E

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Kevin P
                  Also, speaker wire tends to be cheaper per foot than interconnects. Depending of course what interconnects and speaker wire you choose to use.

Ah, yes... a highly varible factor. While I've tried to be a real bottom feeder as regards these items, i.e., good stuff that works but not at ridiculous prices, I find my self inching (well, maybe more like "yarding") upwards.

I understand the logic of the above arguements (speaker wires more immune to noise, but possibly tonally variable due to resistnace and inductance; interconnects SHOULD be less problematic with regards inductance and actual load current, but can be sensitive to noise).

However, achieving the best speaker cable performance DOES seem to require attention to the wire form factor and reducing inductance, and interconnects DO all seem to have some subtle tonal affects, apart from any issues with noise pickup; they certainly do differ as regards tonal balance and transparency, more so than background noise in my system. Still, they don't have the kind of impact that variation in quality of digital sources has, or power amps, for example.

These are all comments that are valid on a "modest" sytem with a good 8" two way... doesn't have to be something over the top like ThomasW's Acoustats+RD ribbon rig.
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• aarsoe
                    • May 2004

I think you guys are forgetting one thing..
                    Interconnects are generally shielded - and speaker wire are generally not. Especially true if we are talking about high end stuff....
                    ANNNNDDDDDDD, then I will slam my ace on the table - Balanced interconnects! ;s@
                    Roll over and die!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

True but the type of signal they carry is completely different so you don't typically need shielding in speaker cables

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by aarsoe
                        I think you guys are forgetting one thing..
                        Interconnects are generally shielded - and speaker wire are generally not. Especially true if we are talking about high end stuff....
                        ANNNNDDDDDDD, then I will slam my ace on the table - Balanced interconnects! ;s@
                        Roll over and die!

I'm assuming your point is that it's OK to run longer interconnects, especially balanced....

Did I ever tell you the story about my 3 meter Ayre signature balanced interconnects? They're great, the best I've ever heard; but they're about the same price as a pair of Cardas Neutral reference the same length... which is to say, not cheap. I think the Ayre are better, musically. Now, imagine doing six channels of those...

In comparison, my home brew 8TC speaker cables are pretty cheap, as detailed in an old thread on the MissionPossible DIY forum. Point is, it would be much less expensive to have long runs of 8TC (which is equivalent to 9AWG) than long balanced interconnects that I'm using. This setup allows me to have a stereo amp positioned in the middle between the speakers, and have the preamp/source component rack off to the side.

So, still not sure about the correct call. But then, it's my fault, too, because I needed a long stereo cable for my preamp to stereo Ayre amp. If was running the Palladium monoblocks, instead of having them hold down the carpet in my daughter's bedroom, I could have possibly optimized lengths a little better, but not much- I don't put source gear right on top of the speaker system. It's too close as it it.

~Jon
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                        Obi-Wan
                        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Kevin P
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                          True but the type of signal they carry is completely different so you don't typically need shielding in speaker cables
                          What the Prattmaster said... if a speaker cable picks up noise, it will be too weak to affect the much stronger signal driving the speaker. When an interconnect picks up noise, it gets amplified and then sent to the speakers at a much higher level.

This is why speaker cables don't need to be shielded, but interconnects do. The weak signals interconnects carry would tend to be affected more by long runs than strong speaker-levels signals.

I think we veered way off the original topic, which was monoblocks vs. 2-channel amp. There, it depends on the amp. If the manufacturer offers both options, try both and see which works better in your setup. Some 2-channel amps have separate power supplies for each channel (an Adcom I repaired once was like this), so they're little more than two monoblocks in one package.

Comment

• aarsoe
                            • May 2004

Agree - this was a picnic of the issue - but I could not help it. :lol:

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"