X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

Help pick a system!

There's nothing more fun then spending other people's money. My brother just moved to LA from Boston, and has put me in charge of getting him a new HT system. He needs everything from the ground up.

Depending on room size (he's still searching for an apartment) he'll likely be purchasing Axiom Audio M22ti or M60ti mains, a VP100 center channel, and QS4 surrounds. The LFE will be handled by a Hsu...likely the STF-2. Video will likely be a SD 42" Panasonic plasma.

This poll is to help select his receiver/player.

OK...well here's the final four. Rotel, Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha...Be sure to take into account everything...ability to playback SACD/DVD-A, price, prestige, reliability, and obviously sound and picture quality.

Things to note before you vote:

My brother is a lable whore. If it's pretentious and expensive he likes it. He'll NOT be upgrading...this system will be with him for likely the next decade. He's NEVER had a HT setup. Prior to this he watched tv on a 20" color tv with VHS. He's never owned a DVD player.
    Onkyo TX-SR701 receiver & DV-SP800 uni-player ($1250)
    10.53%
    Denon AVR-2803S receiver & DVD-2900S uni-player ($1380)
    31.58%
    Rotel RSX-1056 receiver & RDV-1040 dvd player ($1645)
    47.37%
    Yamaha RXV-1400 receiver & S-2300 uni-player ($1430)
    10.53%
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Don't forget Yamaha's YPAO automatic calibration feature... :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

Denon is coming out with a new Denon 2805 so I would wait for that. There are some nice upgrades including the auto calibration modes(with a mic) amongst other things. I believe the MSRP is $899 right now.

That and the Denon 2900 would be the route I'd take.

Keep in mind there are also rumors of a newer universal player from Denon that should lower the 2900's price and if he wants to pony up the dough for the replacement, then they are going all out for a new one at around $1200 they say.

Rotel's dvd players never have impressed me. A local guy has one and has all kinds of issues with it and it reverting back to scart all the time. Their receiver isn't half bad but doesn't have 7.1 channels of amps and being he won't upgrade it's likely he won't even go 7.1 unlike now where he has a chance.

Onkyo isn't all that impressive to me now especially considering what you are comparing them against..

So for me it would come down to the Yamaha and the Denon and I prefer the sound of the Denon. The newer model has some really nice features that make the wait worthwhile. Prestige eliminates Onkyo very quickly IMHO and Axiom IMHO as well but to each their own when it comes to sound.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Well personally I'd go 1056 no matter what and if you want SACD the Yamaha or Denon players, if you want better CD playback and don't care about SACD, the Rotel.

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• spiffnme
          • Apr 2003

He and I have gone out and listened to TONS of speakers. For the price we've not found anything that touches the Axioms. (I own them myself). They aren't prestigious, but at some point you've got to let reason in...and for us that point came when the closest speakers we could find that sounded like/as good as the Axioms were literally 3x the price!

Right now we're leaning heavily towards the Yamaha or Denon route. As much as I'd love to get him into Rotel, their players aren't all that great, and he can't really afford to get the 1056 AND 2900.

Any word on when Denon's new players are due out? Their DVD-2200 or 2900 with DVI out paired with their AVR-2805 would be a no brainer. But without DVI it's really a toss up between Yammy and Denon.

Anyone know what the major differences are between the Denon 2803 and the newer 2805?

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I'd still rather have the 1056 and 2200 if you need to reduce budget somewhere. Sorry the 2805 just can't compare especially for two channel.

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

This is a tough one. In my opinion, it would be judicious on his part to mix and match brands. This is just from memory, but, as I recall, the sensitivity of the Axioms is something like 94 decibels. If so, they won't take a ton of power to drive them pretty loud.

Of those receivers, though, I have a strong lean toward the Rotel. I've heard receivers (not specifically the ones listed) by all the manufacturers listed and just think that Rotel is better sonically, although some of the other receivers might have some special features such as automatic callibration, which would be nifty.

Now, like Jason said, I'd probably opt for a Denon DVD player, but either a lesser priced one now or wait until new models appear. However, what I'd do when the new models appear, which is pretty regular from Denon, is hunt down a great deal on one of the older models. I know when the new line came out, models such as the 1600 went dirt cheap at some places.
              Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

One more thing: I don't think anyone need worry about the Axiom speakers, even if you've never heard of them before. All I hear about them is how great they are, especially at the prices one can get them for online. I was surprised at how good they look. I just saw pictures of them posted at one of the home theater sites and they looked pretty amazing.
                Keith

Comment

• spiffnme
                  • Apr 2003

Thanks for all the tips. At this point it's looking like we'll go one of two routes...

Rotel 1056 and wait for the new denon players and get what hopefully will be the DVI equivalent of the current DVD-2200

OR

Go all Denon and get the 2805 receiver and again wait for the new Denon players.

I sooooooooooooo wish Rotel would put out a DVD player that could knock Denon off the throne of DVD player king. I'd be first in line to get one myself!

Regarding Axiom...you're preaching to the quire man! I have the M60ti towers, VP150 center and their equally amazing QS8 surrounds. Not wanting to have my brother simply buy what I have without giving some other brands a try, we've gone out listening numerous times to other stuff. In the end nothing out there even comes close in their price range. (Sorry...not true...Ascend Acoustics makes some killer stuff too) But as far as B&M stores go, we literally had to start listening to stuff that cost 2.5x - 3x as much as the Axioms to get in their league. So Axioms it is! :T

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I ageee with Jason in that the Rotel 1056 and Denon 2200 would be a pretty wise purchase to get all that you want.

Comment

• Toolatecrew
                      • Apr 2004

Another vote for the Rotel and the Denon 2200.

Is he into SACD and DVD audio?

If not the Rotel and the new Zenith DVD that does 1080i over component PLUS a separate CD player for 2 ch music would be in budget AND give him the best video and sound. No SACD or DVD audio so if that is is important just forget I said anything.

The video of the 2900 and 2200 are almost identical. Audio (DVD audio, 2ch etc) is where you would notice a difference.

Comment

• spiffnme
                        • Apr 2003

He's never owned any good gear before, so this is all new to him. As fun as it is to be able to spend someone else's money, it's also a big responsibility! I don't want to make a bad decision for him!

Does anyone know what the release dates are for those new Denon players I've been hearing about is? I really think the best bet for him would be the RSX-1056 and one of those new DVI players. I just hate pushing his budget too far - and that's by far the priciest option.

Comment

• stantheman2
                          • Apr 2004

I've already voted with my hard-earned dollars. After several months of intense research I own the Rotel RSX-1056 and the Denon DVD-2200.

IMO, Rotel sound quality (2-channel audio AND HT) is far superior to Denon 28XX. I owned a Denon 2700, and auditioned the Denon 2803, 3803, 4802, and 5803. In terms of sound quality, my opinion is you would have to go to the 5803 to better the Rotel 1056 (At an additional cost of $3000 USD).

Denon's 2200 has outstanding video quality (caveat: it does have chroma bug issues), very good CD sonics, and excellent DVD-Audio and SACD. DVI might theoretically be better, but in the reports I have seen, DVI quality vs component video seems to depend on the DVI source and video monitor combination, at this point time. I suspect that within about 2 years, as DVD players and video monitor product cycles turn over, that will have shaken out. If you don't want to wait, I seriously doubt you would be disappointed by the 2200.

Comment

• Danbry39
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Sep 2002

My opinion is that, if he ended up with Rotel/Denon/Axiom, he'd have a vastly superior system to what anything near that price could buy via the mass market companies, even if people would look at him and say, "Rotel...what's that?" or "What are Axiom?" Then, they'd listen and have their socks knocked off. This whole package wouldn't cost all that much more than the top Bose lifestyle system.
                            Keith

Comment

• Toolatecrew
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by spiffnme
                              He's never owned any good gear before, so this is all new to him. As fun as it is to be able to spend someone else's money, it's also a big responsibility! I don't want to make a bad decision for him!

Does anyone know what the release dates are for those new Denon players I've been hearing about is? I really think the best bet for him would be the RSX-1056 and one of those new DVI players. I just hate pushing his budget too far - and that's by far the priciest option.
                              I think that from all reports buying a player becuse it has DVI is a huge mistake.

1. Except for the Denon 5900 (way expensive) the other DVI players don't have good internal DAcs so CD and SACD quality is limited.
                              2. They all have some issues right now. Litron/ Motsumisu (Sp) are reposted to be very buggy, Samsung and Zenith over DVI have white crush issues and the Toshiba player was recalled

As far as picture quality I think what most people are AFTER is UPCONVERSION to 1080i or 720P. It just so happens that MOST players that do this upconversion over DVI only. The Zenith does it over component but that is the exception.

Try to find him the best picture and sound which may (or likley with the CURRENT offerings) MAY NOT come from a DVI equipped player.

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Check out this thread by Jon Marsh on a DVD player you might be interested in. The performance sounds quite good and the price is certainly right! It supposedly has the DVI-based white-crush issue, but when you look at the overall performance, is that REALLY a show-stopper?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Apr 2001

Since his Plasma is only 480p at the max anyway, I don't see a point in upscaling. IF he had an HD plasma, I'd strongly consider it.

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

I'd like to point out again that it's still just upscaled video, it's not HD. Save your likely solitary DVI port on your display for REAL HD resolutions via HDTV and/or down the line HD-DVD's. Most displays already scale DVD to their native resolutions anyways and if you want upscaled DVD buy a scaler (some of which also have more than one DVI connection which could be useful down the line) to scale ALL your sources. Or build a HTPC which is immensely more functional and flexible allowing you to change to better software/hardware as you see fit.

Other than that It looks like most people on here will agree that the 1056, 2200 and the Axiom's are your best bet spiffnme :T

Jason
                                    Jason

Comment

• spiffnme
                                      • Apr 2003

ahhhh...that's an excellent point regarding the DVI! I should have realized that. A SD plasma certainly won't benefit from DVI like an HD set likely would.

Very cool. That make my choice a bit easier. It's looking like the 1056 and 2200 are the way to go.

Thanks guys!

Comment

• MICHAEL STRO
                                        • Oct 2003

2200 good choice

I also bought the 2200 ,very nice machine. I do wish it was silver though ,it's my only black piece

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"