X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotel&energy
    • May 2004

What to expect when adding an amp?

Having never owned an amp, I was wondering what you generally should expect from your system once you add an amp?

I guess I'm not looking for specifics based on manufacturer, but just a general idea of what a dedicated amp will do for you.
    Christopher
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

For starters, much cleaner, crisper, and effortless power.

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

More and cleaner power, better imaging and clarity, suffice it to say that it'll just plain sound better.

Of course, your mileage will vary, depending on the receiver and amp you're using, speakers, interconnects, etc. used. But adding an amp will almost always give you an improvement in the sound.

Comment

• rotel&energy
        • May 2004

Thanks. I've just never really done a side by side comparison of system X without a power amp and then with a power amp.

Let's say I went from 120 watts (in my receiver) to 200 watts (w/ an amp) will my speakers necessarily be "louder" at a given volume?

Thanks for helping the newbie...
        Christopher

Comment

• Bob
          • Jul 2000

"speakers necessarily be "louder" at a given volume?"

In short, no.

There is more to a amp and how it handles speakers than how many watts it is rated at. How much difference you would hear in switching amps depends on several things. Two being, how revealing is your system, how different are the two amps in build quality and type (SS, Tube, Mosfet, JFETS, OTl, etc) not to mention what the designers chooses to do or not do with negative feedback.

Comment

• ht_addict
            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by rotel&energy
            Thanks. I've just never really done a side by side comparison of system X without a power amp and then with a power amp.

Let's say I went from 120 watts (in my receiver) to 200 watts (w/ an amp) will my speakers necessarily be "louder" at a given volume?

Thanks for helping the newbie...
            Nope. The difference between the 120w vs 200w would be about 1.5-2db and thats when your running at full steam on both units. Unless your pushing the amp stage of both units you won't notice a difference on the volume scale. Like everyone else has said the sound will be cleaner and crisper with an amp and plenty of reserve in the wings for those intense scenes.

ht_addict

Comment

• rotel&energy
              • May 2004

Thanks again. I know that question wasn't very specific, so I appreciate the response.
              Christopher

Comment

• spiffnme
                • Apr 2003

The first and most noticable difference I heard was stronger, tighter, punchier bass.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"