X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doubleA
    • May 2004

Newbie Question Regarding Cabling

Hello,

I am new to these forums and I have a question that maybe common knowledge to a lot of you other gearheads out there. I tried a search but could not find an answer so I apologize if this has been asked before.

I have noticed that in a lot of the pictures of high-end stereo systems the speaker cabling is suspended off of the floor? Like in “Bob’s 2 channel room". This looks very intriguing and I would like to know what benefits this has on the system. Does it reduce interference? Or does it have some other audible benefit?

Another question is there any benefit (or ill effects) in connecting both line inputs of a subwoofer via a “Y-cable”? The only difference I have found is more gain going to the sub amp. Is it a better idea to just use one connection and turn up the amp level more or try and get the maximum input level to the amplifier and gain down? Am I degrading the quality of the input signal by using the “Y”? I should mention my sub is a B&W asw675 with class D switch mode power supply.

Last Question: I know it’s best to use the shortest cables possible for interconnects but for the extra length is it bad to coil the cable? I know for extra long cable piles in concert systems you always lay the cable down in a figure 8 to reduce inductance (or whatever phenomena occurs get when you coil a long run of wire carrying a voltage).

Thank for any responses and sorry for the multiple questions.

Best Regards
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by doubleA
    I have noticed that in a lot of the pictures of high-end stereo systems the speaker cabling is suspended off of the floor? Like in “Bob’s 2 channel room". This looks very intriguing and I would like to know what benefits this has on the system. Does it reduce interference? Or does it have some other audible benefit?
    I've heard of people doing this but I don't know what benefit it would provide, except maybe to keep the cables away from electrical wiring in the walls/floors where they could pick up hum/interference. I doubt it would make a change in the cable's inductance/capacitance properties unless you had an iron floor or something.
    Another question is there any benefit (or ill effects) in connecting both line inputs of a subwoofer via a “Y-cable”? The only difference I have found is more gain going to the sub amp. Is it a better idea to just use one connection and turn up the amp level more or try and get the maximum input level to the amplifier and gain down? Am I degrading the quality of the input signal by using the “Y”? I should mention my sub is a B&W asw675 with class D switch mode power supply.
    Well the benefits are higher level, and thus reduced hiss by being able to turn the sub level down, and reduced likelihood of picking up RF interference from the open RCA jack. But those benefits are minor.
    Last Question: I know it’s best to use the shortest cables possible for interconnects but for the extra length is it bad to coil the cable? I know for extra long cable piles in concert systems you always lay the cable down in a figure 8 to reduce inductance (or whatever phenomena occurs get when you coil a long run of wire carrying a voltage).
    It's best not to coil cables execessively since they can act as inductors.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

The Railroad Tressles as some like to call them serve as isolation devices. Some say, you can have static electricity run through fibrous carpets, which can discharge against currents going through the speaker wires. Some just say the floor can have electrical properties, house ground, etc that can impact sound. How much of this is real, how much imagined? Only your ears can decide for sure.

There can be a gain on some subwoofers by "Y"ing into both inputs. I can't say that's the same for all subs. I cannot put a number on it in terms of dB gain.

Doug
      CATCables.com
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
        • Jan 2002

Lex... you may remember me having the problem of my sub (Velodyne HGS-15) turning off during low volume listening while watching a movie with little or infrequent LFE. I use the auto sensing feature for turn on and turn off of my sub. I phoned Velodyne and their instructions were to Y the inputs with would produce a slight gain in order to eliminate the sub occasionally shutting down. I had Lex build be a quality Y connector and this did the trick. I don't think Velodyne would suggest anything that would degrade the sound in any way. All those Velodyne guys are supposedly scientist and engineers so I'd suggest they'd know.

Comment

• doubleA
          • May 2004

Thank you for the replies. This is one of the nicest forums I've visited, everyone seems so knowledgable

Lex, I might be placing an order for some Cattails in the Bi-Wire config in the not so distant future.
          Question: Do you produce them in dual gauge configurations? Like 14AWG for Hi's and maybe 12 or 10AWG for Lo's? I've heard that different gauge speaker wire produce different results for high and low frequencies. Is this one of the main benefits of "Bi-Wiring". And if so which gauge of wire is optimal for which driver?

Thanks again for running a truely "Pro" site.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Double A. Thanks, I'll look forward to you maybe ordering someday. Well, the existing pre-manufactured Cattails wire, which is incidentally, not only very good, but also made by a major high end audio wire manufacturer is basically 13 gauge when by wired. In order to change that, I would have to go with additional external wiring to increase the gauge of the lows. It could be done, and included in the flexible sleeving of the primary cattails. The alternative would be to double the cabling in a shotgun configuration giving both sides 11 gauge, a plenty in audio.

At any rate, we could explore some other options as well, so when your ready just let me know.

Thanks
            Doug
            CAT
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"