X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Toshiba 6915 Dvd Audio/SACD CHANGER

Well I couldn't resist and pulled a Trevor last night and picked one up.

For this curious this is the only 5 disc Universal player on the market(that I know of).

I can say that the remote sucks but that is the only definitive thing I can say. Depending on the type of disc you put in it will change it over to that menu type and you go from there. I can't STOP an SACD while playing one but this could be user ignorance moreso than the remote but it's still not "easy" to operate in that regard.

PQ seems stellar. I'll check on the chroma bug tomorrow or tonight.

Overall for $179 my expectations have been met. I will start checking on the layer change and stuff this weekend and put it thru the ringer.

Any questions?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I believe Yamaha is planning to replace their existing 5-disc DVD-A capable player with a "universal" but it's a fair bit more $ than the Toshiba. Likely sound and look better though...

Ok this is weird... I just went to the Yamaha.ca and Yamaha.com pages and the Canadian page has a new 5-disc that only plays SACD, no DVD-A now...? The USA page has two older models that only do DVD-A.... :wtf: How do they go from older models with just DVD-A to new ones with just SACD???!!! They still have the universal single disc but why not put DVD-A and SACD in the 5-disc and why switch from one format to the other if you're only having one?

Anyhow...congrats on the purchase BTW :T :lol:

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

Yamaha only offers one or the other. They don't offer both otherwise I probably would have passed on the Toshiba. Same goes for Denon.

More information about this player as I play with it more.

It is not on the Toshiba site or Best Buy's site.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I think someone at Yamaha is smoking some of BC's home grown.....

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

Well my player died. So much for the Toshiba :throwup:

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

That sucks I guess at $179 you get what you pay for....? So much for the dream eh Shane?

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

It DIED?!?!?!?! After only 2 days? Sheesh. Sorry Shane, that stinks.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• bigmella1
                • Jun 2004

So the Toshiba just died on you, huh. Dang, I was just about to buy it once I found a site to purchase it from. Where did you purchase yours from?

Comment

• Shane Martin
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2001

I bought mine at Best Buy and that is the only one they had to sell. They haven't had one since. While giving up the ghost it almost took a dvd with it but I took it apart to get the disc out then return the sucker.

Comment

• Max Minimum
                    • Jul 2004

Hi, I was researching this product to see if it's one I'd be interested in buying. I came across your thread and also this page, which may be of help to you...

"Information for Owners of SD-6915 DVD Players

To ensure the satisfaction of our customers and to maintain the integrity and quality of our products, Toshiba America Consumer Products, L.L.C. is issuing an important product update.

On a limited production run of the SD-6915 DVD player, we have identified one firmware issue which may result in a malfunction under certain circumstances. This is not a safety issue and it is easily resolved by our forwarding to you an upgrade disc.

The affected serial numbers are VE14500001 to VE14507000 and VE14600001 to VE14603037, which can be located on the rear panel of the machine. If your player falls within the range, please call 1-800-631-3811 for details on how to arrange for the upgrade disc. "

Hopefully this can help you get yours working...

EDIT: Oh, well, I didn't read your last post carefully - already returned. Well maybe this'll help somebody...

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Thanks Max and welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

Info like this is always good to pass along.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Shane Martin
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Apr 2001

Thanks Max.

I'm not certain and neither is Toshiba(after calling them), what the fix will fix.

I think in the end I had too high hopes for a universal dvd changer.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Shane, check out Geoff's thread here regarding upcoming Denon products. It looks like they're releasing a 5-disc player.. the 2815 I believe :T

Jason
                          Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Apr 2001

Jason,
                            NO SACD or DVD-Audio on them. I've pretty much given up on Multi disc and I'm going single disc(most likely the Denon 3910).

Comment

• bigdog
                              • Aug 2004

its working for me

got the upgrade disc from toshiba. but haven't had any problems.

changer is a lot quieter than my not that much older jvc. really nice machine in a lot of ways with a features i didn't expect. the "audio" button tells you how the disc is coded. that's really great because you know if its a 2 channel or 5.1 channel dvd audio disc or what it is. keeps you from going crazy on how to set your receiver sometimes. some interesting info occasionally. also like the fact that there's a tv to video 1, 2 3 on the toshiba remote so you never need to use the tv remote with the player. also a lot of info on the guide on the tv. price is right too.

the upgrade disc is, according to toshiba, for s-video and component video. but like i said, i've had no problems.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"