X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nomad
    • May 2004

lil help

I have purchased a set of b&w 804's used. I am very impressed with them, but I need some power. The guy I bought them from was running them on a crappy amp, and I would like to get a good one.

I will be using these for movies and listening. I have speakers for 6.1.

SO...keeping in mind that money is an issure (krell would be great, but I only have bout 2.5k), does anyone have a suggestion

Thanks in advance.
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

There's a lot of great amps available and many can be had for a fraction of what a Krell costs. This is a very wide-open question that I believe more info is needed. For example, how big is your room? What are your listening proclivities (music vs. movies)? What is your budget? Just like speakers vary as far as a listener's likes and dislikes, the same can be said for amps. By the way, what kind of pre-pro are/will you be using? The list of questions is long.

But to give you a jump-start, here goes. I've helped a few friends out with their amp selection. One uses Def Tech speakers and the other B&W N804 mains (he also uses an HTM1 for his center). I got him (actually both of them) into an Earthquake CineNova Grande 5 amp. It is an awesome amp. I have one and I use it to drive my surrounds (I am a huge Bryston fan and I use their amps for my mains and center). The Grande 5 is rated at 300W (@ 8 ohms) X 5; it is 5 monoblocks encased in one unit. It is a beast weighing in over 125 lbs. It can be had from an authorized dealer source I have at a surprisingly reasonable cost. I also notice that Earthquake just released a 7 channel version of this amp --- same specs as the 5 (they also have a 3 channel version). The MSRP is ~ $5,500 (US) but I know it can be had for far less.

To be fair, many guys like either a Rotel RMB-1095 or RMB-1075. Bryston makes a 9B SST. Anthem just released their Statement P5 amp (it's a beast just like the Grande). Parasound does a great job on their amps too. The list of high quality amps is long but these are some that come to mind initially. I hope this helps a bit. I am sure others will chime in with their ideas as well.

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Consider used instead of new. Check out Audiogon, if you haven't already; I've bought a few Aragon amps and some other gear this way, and been very happy with bang for the buck, getting "mint" gear at well under half of new price.

Regards,

Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Hi ya Joe, welcome to The Guide! :later:

It'd be very helpful for you to tell us what your preferences are, at least for the "sound" of a system. Bright, mellow, accurate, cool, warm, etc. . . . That way we can suggest a more appropriate range of amps. Jon's suggestion of Audiogon is a good one. Lot's of fine amps are available at excellent prices.

Here's a few examples (in your range):
        Krell KSA-50 - 2 channel
        Krell KSA-100S - 2 channel
        Pass Labs X-5 - 5 channel
        Theta Dreadnaught II - 5 channel

Good hunting!

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I'd look at the Rotel 1090 or 1080 but the 1090 would be my choice if you can stretch it

Comment

• nomad
            • May 2004

Looks like I need to provide more info. Thanks for the quick responses!

THE BIG PICTURE.

I am building this system over time (about a year). I have just purchased the 804's and I plain to add HTM1 next month. I have 3 ccm80s (B&W) mounted in the ceiling (in a diamond shape) for rear channels. This is the movie/listening room (18x18).

I have 3 other rooms in my house that are already wired for 2 speakers each. Theses rooms will need minimal power (30/50 watts) and will probably be a reasonable priced ceiling mount infinity speaker ($100-300).

PERFERENCES/History

I listen to music 2/3 hours a day, and my wife will usually watch a movie in the evening. So I would say the use is about 50/50.

I prefer "clean" sounding systems. I am not a bass freak and I do not like rap. I do like all other music (country, rock, metal, classic). I used to have a very nice pair of Magnapan's and a wonderful mirage sub. The mirage was just enough to provide clean/fast bass but still made a war movie fun. No need to shake the house down, here. I was running 200w adcom amp on those speakers and enjoy the set up very much. The sub had it's own 100w power if I remember correctly. This was a little before home theater, so I realize things have changed.

MORE EQUIPMENT

I am looking for POWER/PRE-AMP/PROCESSOR at this point. I can spend up to $5000 US for all 3.

It been awhile since I bought any equipment, as you can probably tell from above. I have been thinking about 2 channels 200w for the 804’s and some kind of 100w 4/5 channel for the 4 other movie speakers. Hope that doesn’t show my ignorance to bad.

BRANDS
            The brands I have been looking at so far incude and I would consider purchasing any of these.

Para sound
            Outlaw
            Rotel

HOOK UP
            Probably the one thing I am most confused about is how all this would hook up. Including the satellite (infinity) speakers. I am looking at 3 amps I think, one pre amp?, and a surround sound process?.

Thanks for the help and quick responses.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Paraound and Rotel would probably be on my short list given your budget. Parasound tends to be a bit warmer and a bit more expensive than Rotel gear so that's really a personal preference and budget thing. Outlaw, while a good and affordable option for many people, might be a little downmarket for your musical tastes.

Do you no longer have your Adcom amp then?

I'll go through my reccomendations for Rotel gear as that's what I'm most familiar with:

RSP-1068 Pre/Pro (MSRP $1699US)
              RB-1080 2x200 amp (MSRP $999US)
              RMB-1075 5x120 amp (MSRP $999US)

For the additional zones I'd probably get either the RMB-1066 6x60 amp (MSRP $699US) or RMB-1048 8x40 amp (MSRP $799US)

Jason
              Jason

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

With the extra channel in the RMB-1075 (based on you remaining at 6.1 rather than 7.1) you could also bi-amp your centre speaker...

Jason
                Jason

Comment

• dave
                  • Aug 2003

Go to www.audiogon.com and you will find a huge array of new and used items. The site has a very large dealer base. Before you buy new, check out
                  the used stuff, for example I was in the market for a CD Transport and D/A
                  Converter, the list price new was 2800.00 I ended up paying 800.00 and
                  have been very happy ever since!!!

Good Luck, Dave...
                  Dave...

Comment

• nomad
                    • May 2004

Thanks for all the great input guys.

So last stupid question, how do I hook up 3 amps to one pre amp???

RSP-1068 Pre/Pro does this? I haven't ever attempted. Is there a PDF I can read?

Comment

• Jariten
                      • Jun 2000

Nomad...

Your pre/pro will have Plenty of Outputs to go and populate your amps ^_^

go to the Manufacturer's Website and you can probably see some PDF files there

:T

Happy buying ! :B

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Connecting the two main system amps won't be any problem for your 6.1 setup and the 1068 has stereo output to one second zone as well but depending on how you want those three zones to work you may require additional second zone distribution to be able to have seperate sources playing in those zones or have some on, some off etc.

Jason
                        Jason

Comment

• Juan Cortez
                          • May 2003

I would just like to add the NAD T163 and T973 combo $3500 US for both.
                          Jason

Comment

• nomad
                            • May 2004

well leave a link next time :P

Comment

• nomad
                              • May 2004

I forgot .. someone asked what happed to the adcom amp.
                              I think it was a GFA555. 200w X2

I really liked it, but the darn ex wife took it LOL

All worked out, I get to buy new stuff now

Comment

• nomad
                                • May 2004

anyone know anything about this parasound HALO Stuff?

Looking interesting.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2003

Nomad,

Here's an interesting thread from on powering the B&W 805s which are slightly easier to power than your 804s HERE

You should also try a search / read of Club B&W in this HT Guide - there are some interesting posts all around the topic of power amps and what it take to drive B&W 805/804/802/801/800 speakers. The "net" of which is that:
                                  • They love current, especially at high volumes
                                  • The lower the number (e.g. 804 to 805) the harder they are to drive
                                  • They can be driven by some receivers / cheaper amps
                                  • They all get better with more expensive / higher current amps
                                  • Depending on your sound quality threshold, there will be a minimum amplifier quality for you for your speakers.

For some people 200W Rotel RB-1080 would be the minimum for the 804s or 805sand they would like the a Rotel RB-1090 or better amp. There are others happy with their quality HT Reciever. You should listen and decide what you want. However there is no doubt that the 804s will reward you for every extra $1000 you spend on quality amplification.

So I'd take Aud19's suggested Rotel 1080 for the fronts as a nice starting point. Try a more powerful / higher current amp (like the Rotel RB-1090 for $1999) as well and then decide if you enjoy the extra control that it offers enough - it still fits in your budget...

Geoff

Comment

• nomad
                                    • May 2004

Good Stuff!

Comment

• David Meek
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by nomad
                                      anyone know anything about this parasound HALO Stuff?

Looking interesting.
                                      The Halo line is Parasound's upper-end offering. Very, very good sound with build quality to match. It's an excellent choice, period. Check with Chris D - he's just equipped his HT with Halo amps and pre-pro.
                                      Last edited by Chris D; 05 February 2007, 04:45 Monday.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Juan Cortez
                                        • May 2003

Sorry nomad here are the links to the NAD products.

NAD T163 preamp

NAD T973 & channel amp
                                        Jason

Comment

• nomad
                                          • May 2004

Thanks..I have heard NAD and found there stuff to be very good. I hadn't thought about it. It's just been a long time since I bought any equipment.

I think they will be on the short list. I will have to drive to check it out. I'm in idaho only dealer listed is a couple hours from me.

if anyone cares I think the short list is now down to

rotel
                                          parasound
                                          Nad

2x200 (804's)
                                          5 channel by 120/150 (center and rear channels)
                                          that should get my theater going, and give the 804s good power when I am just listening to music.

Thanks for everyones input...it was all GOOD!

Comment

• robertwb70
                                            • Oct 2003

I'd recommend looking at odyssey audios lineup-very good sound(the design is essntially the same as $5k symphonic line stuff-but for $1k)-the amp I have is actually an ODL(old-initial design stratos mostly) and the newer odyssey stratos is supposed to be even better

I compared it to an adcom 555II and an aragon 2004-and it was no contest-both these amps had some graininess-although the aragon was slightly better than the adcom-the ODL has absolutely none of the qualities that give SS amps a bad rep...I didn't think the other 2 sounded particularly bad untill I heard one that was better-but that's the way this hobby is
                                            =+=+=+=+=+=+=
                                            "The appreciation of music is subjective.The reproduction of music isn't."-Bill Dudleston

Comment

Working...
                                            😀
                                            😂
                                            🥰
                                            😘
                                            🤢
                                            😎
                                            😞
                                            😡
                                            👍
                                            👎
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"