X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whmacs
    • Oct 2003

Headphone amp for RSP-1098?

Hi All,
    I'm contemplating getting a headphone amp for my RSP-1098 to improve two channel listening (I've got Jamo THX speakers which are great for movies, but not so good for music). I am tossing up between the MF XCAN v3 and the Creek OBH21SE. I've currently got a pair of Senn HD570 headphones, but I'll be upgrading them to Senn HD600's soon. A couple of questions:
    1. I understand that you connect the headphone amp to the tape out on the RSP-1098 and you can only listen to analogue sources (i.e CD player)?

2. My CD player (analogue and optical outputs) does not have a headphone jack, so should I just connect the headphone amp to it instead of the RSP-1098 as the only analogue audio source I have is the CD player. I guess I'm asking what additional benefits would I get by connecting the headphone amp to the RSP-1098 instead of directly to the CD player?

3. I assume that I can turn the volume of the RSP-1098 down to 0 (or turn off my Rotel power amps) and not have any sound coming out of my main speakers while I listen via the headphone amp (using its volume control)?

4. Would connecting the headphone amp to zone 2 be a better idea?

5. Does anyone have any experience with either the MF or Creek headphone amps connected to Rotel gear or the RSP-1098 in particular?

Thanks for the help,
    Stephen
    My Home Theatre
  • JazzGuyy
    • Nov 2003

Me too on interest in headphone amps

I am very interesting in anybody with experience with an outboard headphone amp for the 1098. I would also like to know if it would be possible to use the outputs for the second room for the headphone amp. Would this enable you to use the phones for all inputs? I would like to be able to watch movies (usually classics with only mono or stereo soundtracks) when my wife is sleeping but don't want to tie up the normal inputs and outputs.

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

I use a Rega Ear. It has an MSRP (US) of $225. Very nice unit.

I have it connected to my Tape Out.

I connect all my devices to the 1098 via their analog outs to the 1098's analog in. From there, I define the Rec Out on the 1098 to the specific unit I want to listen to the headphones with. And, I depress the Mute button too.

Simple and works very well.

Jim
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• eelco74
        • Dec 2002

Creek has some nice utitts, just like pro-ject and Musical Fidelity.

I have tried the pro-ject. You can connect it on zone-2 or record out. It has its own volume control, and you can connect 2 headpones.
        Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
        Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
        Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• simonb68
          • Jan 2003

Hi Stephen, I have the OBH212SE attached to a 1055 with Senn 590 phones. I was in the same position as you, deciding which headphone amp to buy. At the time MF had only just released the v3 and I missed it, it is supposed to be very good, but so is the Creek. I enjoy the sound of mine, but I have no real reference point to make a comparison.

I use mine for CD listening and TV late at night (audio out direct from the TV) rather than the optical out from the digibox. I had hoped that I could also use it for DVDs, but clearly there's no downsampling to two channel so no chance there. I use the tape out but as others report you can use Zone 2. I'm tempted to get a cable upgrade as this is supposed to make a big difference especially with Sennheisers who's cables are a little thin.

Other possibilities are the Earmax, supposed to be good and the Grado, also supposed to be very good and perhaps better options for the 600s which I understand are a cut above the rest.

Simon

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

I have an Integra pre/pro, but the situation should be very similar.

1. Yes

2. The connection I'd suggest is tape out to headphone amp to headphones. Yes, the amp should come equiped with one or two headphone jacks.

3. Yes, moreso you shouldn't even have to turn on your power amp when playing the CD's, only your 1098 need be on.

4. Sorry, don't know the answer to this one.

A few general comments: I wish this had been a couple of months earlier. At that time, Audio Advisor was selling the Perreaux headphone amps for about $330. The Perreaux is a pure class A amp that simply sounds amazing with Senn headphones (I have the HD 650's). Audio Advisor and Perreaux had a parting of the ways and the new U.S. distributor wants $599. I just can't tell you how good this amp is. The Senns have a 300 ohm resistance and love a dedicated power amp.

If you can give a price range, I'd be happy to do some research for you and find out some possible candidates. A lot of great amps are out there by pretty mom and pop type makers. If you're interested in the $650's which reportedly have much better bass definition and a smoother overall response, I might be able to track down a deal for you there too.

Finally, either pair of Senns is very, very nice. They take about 150 hours break in though, so be patient.

Hope this helps.
            Keith

Comment

• whmacs
              • Oct 2003

Hi Guys,
              Thanks for all the great information, I really appreciate it. Well, after a bit more research I ended up ordering the Perreaux SXH1 headphone amp. Living in Australia, with Perreaux being made in New Zealand, these amps are readily available and reasonably priced ($650 AUD) when compared to the Creeks and MF's ($700 - $750 AUD). I've read (and as Keith also highlights), they seem to be a very good match with the Senn's.

Keith, I've send you a PM in relation to the Senn 650's.

cheers,
              Stephen
              Last edited by whmacs; 11 May 2004, 03:49 Tuesday.
              My Home Theatre

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

You've got a PM from me. Let me know if you don't get it.
                Keith

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"