X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave
    • Aug 2003

Upgrading Existing Stereo Racks

I am in the process of tweaking my sound system,
    to my understanding the best material to use for placing the various pieces of equipment is "Maple" the cost of the material to complete the project
    is pretty spendy. The rack that I am now using is a cheap $150.00
    A-Frame metal rack with glass shelves (4 of them) as some of you may already know I am a Millwork Installer and MDF scraps are readily available on the jobsite for the asking. I am wondering if any of you reading this have
    done this already? also what is the thickness of the material you used and Last, were your results favorable???

Thanks for looking, Dave...
    Dave...
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Dave, as with all things, the maple will have resonant frequencies that differ with the thickness of the board. This could possibly change the sound characteristics of your system in and of itself.

A fellow by the name of Mike VansEvers has put forth some interesting thoughts on the subject of "tuning with wood". Here's a link to his website if you are interested. I came across his work when looking for a power conditioner/surge protector. As always, caveat emptor.

Now, as to your question, I'd go thick. An inch or more per shelf would be sweet IMO, not only for the sturdiness and solidity, but for the looks, too!
    :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• dave
      • Aug 2003

Thanks for the link David,,, I'm going to check it out now

Regards,,, Dave...
      Dave...

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

Dave,
        With access to MDF scraps you can build some awsome stands. Here is the website that gave me the idea for my racks and TT stand:
        Japan, a land of ancient traditions and modern marvels, has given the world a unique form of martial art that stands as a testament to its rich cultural heritage: Sumo Wrestling. This traditional

I modified Chris's ideas, as I'm sure you would want to also. They look great and really do the job.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Bob, that's some SERIOUS work! :T Heaven help you if you decide you need to move the stands out an inch or so. :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"